• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Contest: How many 100º at SAT this year?

Hurricane

We're on the cusp of yet another scorching hot summer in San Antonio. The record for most 100º days in a year was set in 2009 with 59. As of June 18 (yesterday), SAT has had 8 days over 100 degrees. In 2009, there were only 6 days over 100º by June 18. For fun, how many days do you think SAT will top 100º this year?

Entry Deadline: Monday, June 26 - 12:00 AM CDT

You can adjust your prediction as many times as you wish between now and the deadline.

Right now I'm going to guess the same number of days I guessed back in 2009... 62.

Current count is at 9. SAT picked up 1.58" of rain on Wednesday morning which will help temperatures stay below 100 the next couple of days. Depending on what happens in the Gulf, more rain could be on the way.

Remember, you have up until the deadline to enter the contest or adjust your prediction.

Sorry about the late reply, I've been busy and am out of town. (In Monterrey, in fact).

Entries are closed and here's the predictions:

msalgado - 32

blackjack - 43

dmc76 - 46

ukrocks - 47

okie333 - 49

tacoman25 - 50

msp - 52

powerball - 56

Ed Mahoud - 61

Hurricane - 62

Winner is determined Price Is Right style, the closest to the number without going over.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: San Antonio has had 5 more days reach 100+, making a total of 11 for the year. Forecast for the next week is mid/upper 90s. Looking like a lot of people, including myself, will probably bust high.

looks like few chances until at least the weekend. gfs mos is actually below climo most of the next week, though i assume it's running slightly cool given the nws forecast. we need the soil to dry out to get a good streak going. otherwise, most of us are way too high.

SAT lies at such high elevation and low latitude that it isn't as hot as one might suspect. In 2009, the hottest summer of record at SAT, the tropical season essentially failed: no significant tropical waves--only dry Saharan air--reached the northern Gulf of Mexico and moved inland over Texas. The intertropical convergence zone stayed far to the south of normal, and the first tropical storm in the entire Atlantic formed only in mid-August (and quickly dissipated). Claudette did form in the Gulf, but she was so weak and tiny that a sea-breeze front overran her in Florida. Hurricane Ida traversed the Gulf in November, long after the end of summer.

Tropical seasons in 1998 and 1980 also started slow.

Tropical waves appear active rather far north this year, and some ultimately may bring rain to Texas.

SAT lies at such high elevation and low latitude that it isn't as hot as one might suspect. In 2009, the hottest summer of record at SAT, the tropical season essentially failed: no significant tropical waves--only dry Saharan air--reached the northern Gulf of Mexico and moved inland over Texas. The intertropical convergence zone stayed far to the south of normal, and the first tropical storm in the entire Atlantic formed only in mid-August (and quickly dissipated). Claudette did form in the Gulf, but she was so weak and tiny that a sea-breeze front overran her in Florida. Hurricane Ida traversed the Gulf in November, long after the end of summer.

Tropical seasons in 1998 and 1980 also started slow.

Tropical waves appear active rather far north this year, and some ultimately may bring rain to Texas.

High elevation? Its 600 feet above Sea Level or so. Thats not very high at all.

Also, having lived there nearly all of my life, I can tell you that it is definitely as hot as one would suspect. Highs average the mid 90s with high humidity throughout the 3 summer months and the spring and fall can be quite hot as well.

• 2 weeks later...

CLL @ 37 100°+ days, I believe. We average out slightly hotter and more humid than SAT.

sucketh, it does.

it sure does suck. nice to see another college station poster (i'm usually down there). post more! :)

for SAT, it looks like we'll at least get second place

SAN ANTONIO MOST 100 DEGREE DAYS IN A YEAR 1885 TO 2010

1.  59 IN 2009
 2.  36 IN 1998
 3.  33 IN 1948
 4.  32 IN 1951
 5.  31 IN 1980
 6.  29 IN 1994 AND 2006
 7.  28 IN 1989
 8.  26 IN 1962
 9.  25 IN 1996
10.  22 IN 1953 AND 2000

it sure does suck. nice to see another college station poster (i'm usually down there). post more! :)

for SAT, it looks like we'll at least get second place

SAN ANTONIO MOST 100 DEGREE DAYS IN A YEAR 1885 TO 2010

1.  59 IN 2009
 2.  36 IN 1998
 3.  33 IN 1948
 4.  32 IN 1951
 5.  31 IN 1980
 6.  29 IN 1994 AND 2006
 7.  28 IN 1989
 8.  26 IN 1962
 9.  25 IN 1996
10.  22 IN 1953 AND 2000

Edens Prairie looks great now, but I'll take College Station 5-6 months from today! sun.gif

Archived