wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Rocky Mountain Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, it barely touched Denver metro. Colorado Springs, Pueblo, and areas further east got a nice soaking, though.

Radar today looks exactly- exactly!- like 24 hours ago. Denver Metro gets clouds and thunder and no rain. CO Springs and the Palmer Divide need to build an ark. Lawn is getting more like concrete with each passing day. Time to water again.

Radar today looks exactly- exactly!- like 24 hours ago. Denver Metro gets clouds and thunder and no rain. CO Springs and the Palmer Divide need to build an ark. Lawn is getting more like concrete with each passing day. Time to water again.

Yup, and to the north Cheyenne is getting nailed again after getting a bunch of rain yesterday.

I can't expect to get 6" every month, of course, but it would be nice to capitalize more on this monsoonal pattern.

Saw a few stray snowflakes up on top of Trail Ridge Road yesterday. Temp was about 45, but they were definitely snowflakes. Had some on the windshield and you could watch them melt. I was amazed they still retained their crystalline structure at that temperature as I expected them to be a wet mess. Good stuff.

Saw a few stray snowflakes up on top of Trail Ridge Road yesterday. Temp was about 45, but they were definitely snowflakes. Had some on the windshield and you could watch them melt. I was amazed they still retained their crystalline structure at that temperature as I expected them to be a wet mess. Good stuff.

I hiked Chapin, Chiquita and Ypsilon on Saturday, and the temps seemed to be upper 40's when we started, and it was sunny. I put on my winter hat and kept in on because it was windy. As we were driving out of the park on Trail Ridge, I noticed a few dark clouds over the park. We came back to Fort Collins and the temperature had peaked around 90, but we got a few raindrops and that dropped the temp to 80.

lets assume it was 81 in Fort Collins at Noontime and 47 at 13000 feet. Then the lapse rate was

3962 meters-1524 meters = 2438 meters

27.2C-8.3C = 18.9C

7.75 C/km

Hi guys- I'm from Central Mass and heading out to this area for the second year in a row for a running camp-then heading to Denver, Vegas, and the Grand Canyon with my family. I'll be in Estes Park tomorrow until the 18th then in Denver until the 20th. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Looks like temps around 80 and lows well into the 50s... awesome.

100_0032.jpg

Hi guys- I'm from Central Mass and heading out to this area for the second year in a row for a running camp-then heading to Denver, Vegas, and the Grand Canyon with my family. I'll be in Estes Park tomorrow until the 18th then in Denver until the 20th. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Looks like temps around 80 and lows well into the 50s... awesome.

100_0032.jpg

Estes Park is fantastic. Enjoy your stay!

If you can read this in Estes, check out Notchtop Bakery & Cafe for some good breakfast: 459 East Wonder View Avenue, Estes Park, CO. It's in the same plaza as the Safeway.

Forecasts at Long's Peak are calling for low temps right around freezing. :)

Enjoy- we moved here from shrwzbree a year and 3 days ago and did the big Southwest trip Great Sand Dunes- Mesa Verde- Grand Canyon- Zion-Vegas- San Diego last month. Temps totally elevation dependent (100+ in Vegas el. 2K, 85 here, 60s or less above 9K) and it should be nice and dry for you with the exception of Sunday. Seems like once the monsoon cuts off (this year it was about 8/6), we are bone dry till the first snow in late October. Hydrate!!!

You can get Rockies tix nice and cheap now, though the primary draw is the nice sunsets seen from the first base side, not the baseball...;)

Enjoy- we moved here from shrwzbree a year and 3 days ago and did the big Southwest trip Great Sand Dunes- Mesa Verde- Grand Canyon- Zion-Vegas- San Diego last month. Temps totally elevation dependent (100+ in Vegas el. 2K, 85 here, 60s or less above 9K) and it should be nice and dry for you with the exception of Sunday. Seems

like once the monsoon cuts off (this year it was about 8/6), we are bone dry till the first snow in late October. Hydrate!!!

You can get Rockies tix nice and cheap now, though the

primary draw is the nice sunsets seen from the first base side, not the baseball...;)

41 for the morning run at Estes this morning! Refreshing! Hands can barely type this it was so cold.

Our area averages 285K at 700mb.That is 12 C. Surface temperatures average high 84, low 57, that is 29C and 14C

post-1182-0-86209100-1313526675.gif

I just don't like these GFS ensemble forecasts (500mb or 850mb temperatures). It's all above normal.

And for the next 8 days, the GFS predicts several 700mb 14 to 16 C days, putting our high temps at 2 to 4 C above normal

post-1182-0-31760000-1313526668.gif

Our area averages 285K at 700mb.That is 12 C. Surface temperatures average high 84, low 57, that is 29C and 14C

post-1182-0-86209100-1313526675.gif

I just don't like these GFS ensemble forecasts (500mb or 850mb temperatures). It's all above normal.

And for the next 8 days, the GFS predicts several 700mb 14 to 16 C days, putting our high temps at 2 to 4 C above normal

post-1182-0-31760000-1313526668.gif

FWIW, the new GFS has shown a distinct warm bias in the 4-8 day range.

Climbing Long's Peak tomorrow, starting early in the morning (3 am). Unfortunately, it looks like a good chance of thunderstorms starting around 10-11 am or so up there. Hopefully we can reach the summit before bad weather moves in.

Ya never know, today was supposed to have lots of coverage of storms but the Front Range was totally clear when I went out around 9:30 AM and still very capped most of the area. Sometimes you get away with things. Though Longs would give me the creeps 'cause you're a long way from home if things get bad and running down the mountain above the Keyhole ain't an option.:lightning:

Ya never know, today was supposed to have lots of coverage of storms but the Front Range was totally clear when I went out around 9:30 AM and still very capped most of the area. Sometimes you get away with things. Though Longs would give me the creeps 'cause you're a long way from home if things get bad and running down the mountain above the Keyhole ain't an option.:lightning:

Storms held off until the last couple of miles on the way back down. We started at 3 am, though, and reached the summit just before 10 am.

Here are some pics from the hike.

post-558-0-23384300-1314038509.jpg

post-558-0-68311300-1314038472.jpg

post-558-0-61652300-1314038496.jpg

post-558-0-14147400-1314038482.jpg

Nice! I was out doing errands around noon and thought "maybe 1 more hour then I would not want to be up there."

I know peoples' tolerance for exposure is wildly different, but was the section above the Keyhole as scary as billed? I hate those stories of people who just fall off the mountain without trying.

There were some narrow parts that were a little scary for me (I have a very healthy fear of heights), but with the nice weather we had, it wasn't too bad. I definitely wouldn't want to be up there on a windy day or during a storm (or earlier in the year with snow/ice on the trail).

Archived