Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Another June Torch Forthcoming Wed-Fri

phlwx

post-105-0-22875900-1307274365.gif

The GFS as well as the EC (above) show 90's for Wednesday and Thursday, perhaps Friday before a fropa moves through. The GFS MOS has 96 for Thursday PM and the EC supports heat as well (20 C+ 850's)....this is a pretty significant reversal from what the models were showing a couple of days ago (80's and generally seasonable).

The one thing, unlike last week, is that the 500 mb heights are not as high (580's as opposed to a 590ish setup). I'm not so keen on the GFS MOS verifying unless we get a toasty west/southwest wind on Thursday PM but another run into the 90's are definitely doable.

post-105-0-22875900-1307274365.gif

The GFS as well as the EC (above) show 90's for Wednesday and Thursday, perhaps Friday before a fropa moves through. The GFS MOS has 96 for Thursday PM and the EC supports heat as well (20 C+ 850's)....this is a pretty significant reversal from what the models were showing a couple of days ago (80's and generally seasonable).

The one thing, unlike last week, is that the 500 mb heights are not as high (580's as opposed to a 590ish setup). I'm not so keen on the GFS MOS verifying unless we get a toasty west/southwest wind on Thursday PM but another run into the 90's are definitely doable.

Am I hiding my enthusiasm about this occurring well?

latest MEX MOS for Wed / Thurs

PHL - 97 / 97

NE Philly - 97 / 99

Doylestown - 95 / 98

Quakertown - 96 / 97

Pottstown - 97 / 96

Trenton - 95 / 97

Mt Holly - 96 / 98

So much for Thursday being the hottest...it could end up being Wednesday at this point. :axe:

Yeah, quit putting the heat hype out to the public.

Just a whine from Lady Di, who works in HVAC- the service calls and new installs have the pattern pretty full through the 22nd of this month already. To be expected this time of year as I well know. I just needed to gripe about the TV mets with heat warnings-----WHEN it's currently a WATCH! And using the word heat wave when clearly we may not hit 90 for the 3 days. It's not 90 today and it's not forecast to hit 90 on Friday.

Folks are more demanding, sometimes completely unbearable, for air conditioning in these parts moreso than heat.

/End rant. Thank you for listening.

Just a whine from Lady Di, who works in HVAC- the service calls and new installs have the pattern pretty full through the 22nd of this month already. To be expected this time of year as I well know. I just needed to gripe about the TV mets with heat warnings-----WHEN it's currently a WATCH! And using the word heat wave when clearly we may not hit 90 for the 3 days. It's not 90 today and it's not forecast to hit 90 on Friday.

Folks are more demanding, sometimes completely unbearable, for air conditioning in these parts moreso than heat.

Local philly mets love to hype, like it's so unusual for philly to hit 90 in summer...lol!

Meh. The "heat wave" definition is overrated in July since the average high is 87. The problem is that the city (1.5 mil people) mostly live in brick, non ac'd homes...so those places are basically convection ovens during the summer while it gets above 90. Compound it with the heat island at night and those places don't really cool off.

Needless to say, the heat wave chatter is needed considering a large percentage of the city lacks AC. The vast majority of us have it...but you gotta think about those that don't...and it's a sizable chunk of population even now.

I believe we had this debate last summer....is "90" a big deal around here?

I still use 90 as the marker for "heat" around here. Now, if i was living from about DCA, southward I'd put it at 95 degrees.

Oh well, the debate will carry on, I'm sure.

I would say for philly and wilmington it should be at least 92 to be called hot and in the cooler burbs 90 is still considered hot. I say that because philly hits 90 way more (maybe twice as much) as say chester county and of course the nights are much warmer but that's off the subject.

Archived