• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New radar almost complete

famartin

+ E Ctrl TX (Houston Co), S Ctrl MO, western OK Panhandle, and probably many more that I can't remember off the top of my head

The first 2 yes, the last one is kind of no man's land plus I thought Amarillo caught a lot of that area?

NW Ohio is somewhat of an overlooked radar hole IMO...Bowling Green for example is about 80 miles away from the nearest radar. Personally due to the frequency of severe storms I feel that NE Missouri is the one that needs to get a new radar first...one around Kirksville would be perfect.

Clayton, NM to Springfield, CO to Cimarron City, OK area, I mean-- would've been useful for the Campo and the May 23rd tornadofest last year.

True, but it just isnt as densely populated as the others, as much as it would be great for chasers the justification compared to other areas just isn't there. SEMIweather is correct, Toledo area down to Bowling Green is in a bad hole.

:thumbsup:

Too bad I'm leaving just before getting to benefit from it. :arrowhead:

How about

Central Minnesota

Central South Dakota

Central Kansas

West Texas

East Texas

The Arklamiss

West Central Alabama

Northern Missouri

Northern Wisconsin

Southeast Oklahoma

Southeast Missouri

How about

Central Oregon (Bend/Redmond)

South-Central Oregon Coast (Newport/Coos Bay)

I'm pretty sure the Bend/Redmond area in Oregon is by far the most populous region with no radar coverage:

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~jzhang/radcov/US_lamb.radcov_10kmagl.gif

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~jzhang/radcov/US_lamb.radcov_5kmagl.jpg

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~jzhang/radcov/US_lamb.radcov_3kmagl.jpg <--- Black areas here are probably most important

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~jzhang/radcov/US_lamb.radcov_1kmagl.jpg

True, but it just isnt as densely populated as the others, as much as it would be great for chasers the justification compared to other areas just isn't there. SEMIweather is correct, Toledo area down to Bowling Green is in a bad hole.

The fact Toledo is in a radar hole is a giant joke and they definitely need to put one in our area. It's frustrating to constantly flip back and forth between IWX and CLE to get the most accurate reads and they aren't even that good. Plus the main reason it needs one for sure is the fact that this area is so much heavier population wise than any other one. About a million people live in that area

Erie, PA is another radar hole. It's on the fringe of CLE, BUF, and PBZ radars. Only heavy, high-topped precip is picked up in that area and it's usually distorted. Low-topped events, like LES events, are completely missed. That's why you'll see national radar on TWC and it'll look like it's not snowing in northwest PA but Erie and Meadville will be reporting +SN. A radar in Erie would definitely help with the forecasting of LES events by extending coverage to the LES belt counties like Ashtabula, Erie, Crawford, Mercer, Jefferson, and Forest, where there currently is no coverage during such events (except in extraordinary instances where the cloud tops are high enough, which only occurs with a Huron connected band [and even then the intensity is way underestimated]).

Yeah... a generally overlooked area as well. Although severe t-storms aren't as frequent here, it's still a pain.

The fact Toledo is in a radar hole is a giant joke and they definitely need to put one in our area. It's frustrating to constantly flip back and forth between IWX and CLE to get the most accurate reads and they aren't even that good. Plus the main reason it needs one for sure is the fact that this area is so much heavier population wise than any other one. About a million people live in that area

Yeah, its frustrating when IWX/DTX usually have better radar views of any storms from Defiance into BG/Toledo, even though we're in CLE's CWA.

Archived