Newest Member
    joxey
May 23rd

k***

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How was the storm?

It looks like there may have been some hail with it too.

Some friends about 15km southwest of here who were hit by the 70dbz blob said they had minor hail damage on their car. The news doesn't really report on severe weather unless a tornado hits something, and there is nothing in the news about it. There may be a spotter summary tomorrow from Environment Canada, but they may not release one. I'll know more tomorrow about insurance claims if there are any.

I was on the north end of the cell winds increased to at least 40-50mph and a blinding black rain curtain followed it. 1.15" of rain fell in 30 minutes causing some minor flash flooding.

They didn't warn the storm until it was east of town and significantly weaker, but about 20 minutes before it hit me back over in SW Waterloo Region and SW Perth County there were hail markers 1-2.25" may have been an interesting event out in the rural areas. Like I said, I'll know tomorrow about insurance claims if there are any.

Some friends about 15km southwest of here who were hit by the 70dbz blob said they had minor hail damage on their car. The news doesn't really report on severe weather unless a tornado hits something, and there is nothing in the news about it. There may be a spotter summary tomorrow from Environment Canada, but they may not release one. I'll know more tomorrow about insurance claims if there are any.

I was on the north end of the cell winds increased to at least 40-50mph and a blinding black rain curtain followed it. 1.15" of rain fell in 30 minutes causing some minor flash flooding.

They didn't warn the storm until it was east of town and significantly weaker, but about 20 minutes before it hit me back over in SW Waterloo Region and SW Perth County there were hail markers 1-2.25" may have been an interesting event out in the rural areas. Like I said, I'll know tomorrow about insurance claims if there are any.

It seemed like a pretty impressive cell based on the picture. It is pretty annoying that they didn't get teh warning out until after the storm had passed and weakened. Just imagine if the winds had been stronger than the were or if the hail was larger than it was and there was no warning out.

As for the weather reports, I've heard from several other people in Ontario how poor the media coverage when it comes to these weather events. Every news station here in Detroit was hyping the severe weather up like it was the end of the world. I would love to know why there's such as disparity in that aspect.

It seemed like a pretty impressive cell based on the picture. It is pretty annoying that they didn't get teh warning out until after the storm had passed and weakened. Just imagine if the winds had been stronger than the were or if the hail was larger than it was and there was no warning out.

As for the weather reports, I've heard from several other people in Ontario how poor the media coverage when it comes to these weather events. Every news station here in Detroit was hyping the severe weather up like it was the end of the world. I would love to know why there's such as disparity in that aspect.

Media coverage is entirely hit and miss. The Weather Network usually does a good job covering storm events. I could write a book on everything wrong with our media coverage during severe weather outbreaks. Local stations do not and apparently will not go into storm modes or even broadcast tornado warnings. There has been some changes since August 20, 2009 but that is mostly with Toronto's 24hr station where they now report on tornado warnings in the GTA. Last year during a tornado warning on the north side of Toronto they only mentioned it once and the news anchor said "there is the risk of a thunderstorm touching the ground near Little Britain" :arrowhead:

• 2 weeks later...

Not good. This looks like a tornado to me.

post-2666-0-18375700-1306197771.png

Here are some pictures from that storm right about the time that radar image was taken. Good thing this didn't touch down, looks like it could have produced a big tornado. For reference, the first photo looks like it was taken on the Ohio Turnpike at the GM plant in Lordstown and the 2nd photo looks like the person exited the turnpike and went to the plant parking lot.

post-2666-0-19816200-1307406689.jpg

post-2666-0-73318800-1307406695.jpg

post-2666-0-83387700-1307406700.jpg

post-2666-0-72756400-1307406705.jpg

Here are some pictures from that storm right about the time that radar image was taken. Good thing this didn't touch down, looks like it could have produced a big tornado. For reference, the first photo looks like it was taken on the Ohio Turnpike at the GM plant in Lordstown and the 2nd photo looks like the person exited the turnpike and went to the plant parking lot.

Definitely a wall cloud present in the first two pics, so I'd venture to guess that's not scud, although it's hard to tell.

Those images are from the same cell that prompted a tornado warning for the southern Cleveland metro area and produced up to golf ball sized hail, microbursts and some funnel clouds up here.

Definitely a wall cloud present in the first two pics, so I'd venture to guess that's not scud, although it's hard to tell.

Those images are from the same cell that prompted a tornado warning for the southern Cleveland metro area and produced up to golf ball sized hail, microbursts and some funnel clouds up here.

Yeah, you can see it better in this photo from Warren. Had to be kind of scary for all of them people standing out there with that cloud coming at them and tornado sirens wailing.

post-2666-0-94240200-1307408008.jpg

Yeah, you can see it better in this photo from Warren. Had to be kind of scary for all of them people standing out there with that cloud coming at them and tornado sirens wailing.

post-2666-0-94240200-1307408008.jpg

Wow if that was coming at me I'd drive out of the way (after taking about 100 pics ;) ). Nice shot.

Archived