• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wiz nude on wooden chair with socks t-storms Sat.

Damage In Tolland

Sref's and the God awful NAM which up until last nite was pegging a noreaster for us Sunday...show some decent probs for some cold pool storms late tonight thru tomorrow evening..Best chances look to be over Central areas first ..then a bit east away from the coast.

First naked Wiz ham episode of the year seems likely

Obs and disco

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sref's and the God awful NAM which up until last nite was pegging a noreaster for us Sunday...show some decent probs for some cold pool storms late tonight thru tomorrow evening..Best chances look to be over Central areas first ..then a bit east away from the coast.

First naked Wiz ham episode of the year seems likely

Obs and disco

I think you can include ern mass as well with this cold pool. Probably ctrl and ern areas have the best shot.

SATURDAY...

A FAIRLY STRONG SHORTWAVE IN ASSOCIATION WITH A COLD POOL ALOFT WILL

MOVE ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. IT CERTAINLY WILL NOT BE RAINING

ALL DAY IN A GIVEN LOCATION AND WE DO EXPECT PARTIAL SUNSHINE AT

TIMES. HOWEVER...WITH HIGHS WELL UP INTO THE 60S TO LOWER 70S AND

500 MB TEMPERATURES DROPPING TO NEAR -25 EXPECT ENOUGH INSTABILITY

FOR SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS TO DEVELOP. THIS IS

ESPECIALLY TRUE DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS WHEN SURFACE BASED CAPES

ARE AROUND 500 J/KG. THE COLD POOL ALOFT WILL LIKELY RESULT IN SOME

OF THE STRONGER STORMS CONTAINING PEA SIZED HAIL AND GUSTY

WINDS...SO WILL INCLUDE THIS IN THE FORECAST. THERE IS EVEN A LOW

PROBABILITY OF AN ISOLATED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH MARGINALLY

SEVERE HAIL. THE SREF PROBABILITIES INDICATED THE HIGHEST CAPES

MOST LIKELY ACROSS EASTERN MA/EASTERN CT AND RHODE ISLAND...SO

EXPECT CONVECTION TO BE MOST NUMEROUS IN THIS REGION EAST OF

KEVIN AND WEATHER WIZS RANGE OF VIEWING.

One of those always interesting cold pool setups tomorrow. With enough surface heating coupled with the cold pool this should lead to some weak instability over the region. One thing that will limit the amount of instability will be the lackluster moisture as dewpoints will be rather low. There should be enough forcing and lift for the development of showers and a few storms and given the very low freezing levels some of these may contain some small hail.

Not sure if we have enough in place to see any severe hail but you can't say never in these setups. Vertical shear is rather weak so this will tend to limit updraft strength/growth and should keep things from getting too organized.

Good news is everyone has a shot tomorrow, even the coastal areas. In fact eastern sections may fair a bit better as there looks to be some weak moisture convergence across eastern MA which could help things out that way.

Poor Wiz, being a severe weather freak in New England is like being a snow freak in the MA, frustrating and for the most part futile.

Actually not really. I enjoy any type of t'storm, wither it's severe or not. While I do hope to get them IMBY it doesn't totally matter to me if I don't see anything on a day when storms are possible, although I do get upset if nothing hits me. I just enjoy tracking them across the region.

I love looking at the models and looking for a day or days when convection could be possible and just tracking the threat on the models leading up to the potential day. I like looking at the AFD's for the discussions and the SPC outlooks to see if they highlight anything.

I really can't sleep until I've seen the SPC outlooks or read the AFD's.

It would be nice if we could get some of those stronger vertical shear values that are off to our south and west to spread into the area...perhaps southern CT/RI/SE MA get some 30-35 kt vertical shear values.

Highest dewpoints right now are across eastern sections of SNE where dewpoints are near 50F...they might climb another degree or two depending on the level/strength of any moisture convergence later on in the afternoon. This is where SBcape values could near 800-900 J/KG.

something to keep an eye on today is any moisture advection. guidance essentially says there's none and tds stay between 7-10C all day which limits the amount of cape. but there is a light s flow with dews in the lower to mid 50s over LI. any little bit helps.

Great point. When dealing with such a steep lapse rate environment such as today a dewpoint difference of even 2-3°F can probably mean as much as 250-500 J/KG of cape...easily.

Archived