CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April 19-21 Severe Threat

Gastonwxman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm reports pretty much reflected how strong those squall lines were back west along the MS Valley region/Midwest. Those major dynamics will lift northeastward throughout the day and miss the Carolinas. However, there's been some indication that a meso low is present around the GA area and will progress eastward. If that can hold, it can aid instability (assuming we attain a sufficient amount) and cause thunderstorms to form more than what modeling gave us credit for. Dewpoints are already near 60 and up so the air is moisten-laden Just need to watch how things evolve throughout the day and whether or not the small scale features will force convection.

yesterday.gif

Ran into some pretty heavy rain and moderately frequent thunder at about 9 AM, while on a little day trip with a friend to Brasstown Bald. It was nasty from Dahlonega to Blairsville, then really just stopped altogether. Brasstown Bald was pretty cool though, it was around 50 and the trees were still bare up there.

Pretty healthy line of storms currently crossing the northern and central half of AL with severe thunderstorm warnings prompted. It's been strengthening for a while now. Birmingham will be hit next in a little while as it pushes eastward toward GA. Could be an overnight/early morning kind of deal if it stays in tact (keyword "if") for those folks. Current TVS indicated in Walker county, AL.

1z1zhxh.jpg

Damn...

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR BLOUNT...

JEFFERSON...TUSCALOOSA AND NORTH CENTRAL BIBB COUNTIES UNTIL 1130 PM

CDT...

AT 1103 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE

HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 80 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE

LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM NECTAR TO LIPSCOMB TO 7 MILES

NORTHEAST OF KNOXVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH.

THE WORST PART OF THE LINE WILL SOON MOVE THROUGH THE CITY OF

BIRMINGHAM.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

BLOUNTSVILLE...BIRMINGHAM...BESSEMER...CLEVELAND...HOMEWOOD...

VESTAVIA HILLS...PINSON-CLAY-CHALKVILLE...MOUNTAIN BROOK...IRONDALE

AND HOOVER

That segment has managed to hold and now it looks like Atlanta is up to bat within the next hour or so. It's weakened some but still throwing a good punch. Plenty of action going on from extreme eastern OK to northern GA tonight (which now has severe thunderstorm watches extended close to the western SC border).

EDIT(2:39AM)- Will add that the cell just barely northwest of ATL has been strengthening for sometime now. Folks living in places such as Smyrna and Mableton will need to be on guard. The other crossing Murray county has done the same but may have reached its limit.

1z735ok.jpg

Yet another line of storms weakens before it gets here. That's at least 3 in the last 15 hours that weakened considerably before it reached my area. Had a little thunder, some light to moderate rain, maybe a 10 mph wind gust. Very unimpressive. If what moved through my area is going to move through Atlanta, then don't expect much.

That segment has managed to hold and now it looks like Atlanta is up to bat within the next hour or so. It's weakened some but still throwing a good punch. Plenty of action going on from extreme eastern OK to northern GA tonight (which now has severe thunderstorm watches extended close to the western SC border).

The gusts from those just hit us in Winston (just inside the Douglas/Carroll County border, west of Atlanta) about 5 minutes ago. Very loud howling noisy winds. No rain yet. I've been hearing the thunder rumbles for almost 30 minutes now. It's a noisy line.

The gusts from those just hit us in Winston (just inside the Douglas/Carroll County border, west of Atlanta) about 5 minutes ago. Very loud howling noisy winds. No rain yet. I've been hearing the thunder rumbles for almost 30 minutes now. It's a noisy line.

How strong were the winds ? We had about 10-15 mph winds in Carroll County, and had more thunder than rain.

Here we go...BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

246 AM EDT THU APR 21 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

COBB COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA

DOUGLAS COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA

WESTERN FULTON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL GEORGIA

PAULDING COUNTY IN NORTHWEST GEORGIA

* UNTIL 330 AM EDT

* AT 244 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZED

HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS UP TO 60 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED

ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM ACWORTH TO POWDER SPRINGS TO 12 MILES

WEST OF FAIRBURN...MOVING EAST AT 40 MPH.

How strong were the winds ? We had about 10-15 mph winds in Carroll County, and had more thunder than rain.

I'm not sure how to judge wind speed comfortably. It was whipping the tops of the tallest trees into a frenzy, and the top 15' or so of the large solo trees were leaning. I heard some cracks of branches breaking, but don't feel comfortable around in the woods in a storm in the dark to get measurements on the size of whatever has freshly fallen. Nothing too big yet, the cracks are about the same as any other strong storm.

Lots of lightning, only a spattering of rain. I've already shut down and unplugged the machines that matter.

I noticed Paulding is in the middle of the two warning outlines, yet doesn't have a warning itself? What are they seeing that I'm not?

I'm not sure how to judge wind speed comfortably. It was whipping the tops of the tallest trees into a frenzy, and the top 15' or so of the large solo trees were leaning. I heard some cracks of branches breaking, but don't feel comfortable around in the woods in a storm in the dark to get measurements on the size of whatever has freshly fallen. Nothing too big yet, the cracks are about the same as any other strong storm.

Lots of lightning, only a spattering of rain. I've already shut down and unplugged the machines that matter.

I noticed Paulding is in the middle of the two warning outlines, yet doesn't have a warning itself? What are they seeing that I'm not?

They've issued one go to the FFC main warnings page. Radar is slow for some reason? Confused me too. Very loud line here

I saw a wall cloud. I was just in this storm. Frequent lightning, heavy winds, pea size hail for just a min. and a heavy down pour. This was seen on 278 in the Austell/Lithia Springs area about 30 mins. or so ago. A lot higher than 10 mph winds, that's for sure.

Archived