• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
My latest Capital Weather Gang Blog/article

usedtobe

The European model ensemble mean supports the operational European model which is very bullish on the storm. The GFS and its ensembles tend to shear the system out and keep it too weak to produce any snow. Both camps are equally likely. That said, in the past the GFS has sometimes tended to shear systems too much keeping the any low too weak to produce any snow. The threat certainly is worth watching. I'm not a fan of Miller B type systems, there are too many things that can go wrong. When it get into the 72 range, I'll be more excited. Also if the GFS starts evolving towards it's solution. If the ultimate solution is somewhere between the euro and GFS, I don't like our chances. That said, it's too early to know which model grouping is right.

Last night's euro brought the threat of the Dec 5th storm back and the 12Z run of the nam now has trended towards a storm.

post-70-0-82503700-1291215300.gif

post-70-0-67042500-1291215561.gif

The 03Z sref runs also showed quite a few members that would threaten the dc area. It's too early to whether the storm will be a dud like on last night's GFS, a euro dusting for DC but better snow for midlo or the nam which looks like it would hit my house but the NAM would rock my and Ji's world.

Stay tuned for another CWG article. It might be needed.

yea looks like the theme is the models are picking back up on this storm as we get closer

big difference from 12z nam to 06z gfs at 500. nam does not shear it out

nam_500_084s.gif

gfs_500_090s.gif

Yeah no doubt. I didn't look at soundings but 1000-850 critical thicknesses do support some snow for DC it appears. The 850 low looks to go overhead, so I'm not sure if it's ideal, but alas it is the 84 hr NAM.

Yeah no doubt. I didn't look at soundings but 1000-850 critical thicknesses do support some snow for DC it appears. The 850 low looks to go overhead, so I'm not sure if it's ideal, but alas it is the 84 hr NAM.

I think the 850 would shift southeastward as the system east of the mountains as would the surface low. Something about CAV trajectories and all that stuff if I remember correctly. There still is a good jet that should keep the 500 vort digging some. I guess it's possible we get dry slotted if the model were correct. Of course, it'sa 84 hr NAM so it's probably still not right and the shortwave that produces the storm isn't even in the CONUS yet. Probably the safest bet is to just go towards last night euro and mention the possibility of light snow in a forecast for dc and then wait to waffle either way as the models converge on a solution. The individual sref members suggest that anything from the NAm solution to a miss is possible.

I'm feeling stoked about starting out the first half of Dec in the chill East. It's nice to have a seasonal forecast start out on the right foot for once. Let's put it this way, if the MA doesn't cash in during the first 2 weeks of Dec, wait til Groundhog Day.

Archived