• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1 year ago today

This was the scariest storm I've been in and I've been in a Hurricane among other wild storms, I have a whole story with this one but it's long.

Luckily we got out of the Garden State Plaza 10 minutes before it lost all power, that's the only positive lol.

And the thousands of knocked over trees can't be forgotten.

Is that the Belt Parkway? O_O

If I had my iPhone 4 back then I would've shot HD of our car being lifted up on the GWB (which closed right after we got on), the West Side Highway? looked similar to that video but not nearly as bad, had it been less than a foot lower it would've looked like that.

Anyone else in SE Nassau notice the extreme tree damage centered around Merrick Road? There are is a section of the Wantagh Parkway where huge oaks were knocked over like domino's. Very reminiscent of a micro burst pattern. The damage is still visible just south of Merrick Road where not all the fallen trees were removed.

Considering Gloria did less tree damage with trees in full leaf I would have to speculate there was some sort of localized increase in winds most likely exceeding 90mph.

Anyone else in SE Nassau notice the extreme tree damage centered around Merrick Road? There are is a section of the Wantagh Parkway where huge oaks were knocked over like domino's. Very reminiscent of a micro burst pattern. The damage is still visible just south of Merrick Road where not all the fallen trees were removed.

Considering Gloria did less tree damage with trees in full leaf I would have to speculate there was some sort of localized increase in winds most likely exceeding 90mph.

I drove right past that spot and saw the numerous trees down there.

The best that I could estimate here in Long Beach were peak gusts

around 75 mph or so.I think that the wetness of the ground combined

with the duration of 60+ mph gusts worked to take down all those trees.

It was the strongest windstorm here in Long Beach since November 11,1995.

The wind was really cranking especially between around 3 or so into

into the early evening.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KJFK/2010/3/13/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_stat

I drove right past that spot and saw the numerous trees down there.

The best that I could estimate here in Long Beach were peak gusts

around 75 mph or so.I think that the wetness of the ground combined

with the duration of 60+ mph gusts worked to take down all those trees.

It was the strongest windstorm here in Long Beach since November 11,1995.

The wind was really cranking especially between around 3 or so into

into the early evening.

http://www.wundergro...ate=NA&req_stat

BW what's the strongest wind that you can ever remember in LB and which storm was it in?

Archived