joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/7

NEG NAO

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah this winter is on its last breath, but i dont even care, it was a great winter. I hope we get a cutoff noreaster or something like last march which had extreme winds, because this winter has already snowed itself out.

its over. Whatever hope we had is toast with the pac flow and the NAO looking like the ninas of the past. Nina finally won out, but man, it took forever. Lets hope the waters in the pac continue to warm to a slightly negative nina or a slightly positive nino and that we keep the tri-pole in the north atlantic so next year we can pick up where we left off in January. If it goes to complete neutral, we could see a 2001-2002 redux where we can't find any vorts anywhere.

RIP 2010-2011, you were loved!

LOL, just saw that, what a joke this model has become in the long range. Its worse than the gfs with weenie solutions.

yeah lmao what a weird solution, primary to international falls with the southern wave to the 40/70 with no blocking/50/50 low? :facepalm:

its over. Whatever hope we had is toast with the pac flow and the NAO looking like the ninas of the past. Nina finally won out, but man, it took forever. Lets hope the waters in the pac continue to warm to a slightly negative nina or a slightly positive nino and that we keep the tri-pole in the north atlantic so next year we can pick up where we left off in January. If it goes to complete neutral, we could see a 2001-2002 redux where we can't find any vorts anywhere.

RIP 2010-2011, you were loved!

Agree, it's been over for a while in my opinion. Truly an epic winter though, now if only we can get some spring temps one of these days. :sun:

Agree, it's been over for a while in my opinion. Truly an epic winter though, now if only we can get some spring temps one of these days. :sun:

March ninas, cold and wet. April's dont do much better. Going to be a much cooler summer than last year, so it may not be until June and July till we feel some heat, unlike last April.

NYC received a 3"-6" snow event less then 10 days ago.

Over in terms of major storms but a 4" snow event is nothing to sneeze about.

Yeah forgot it was a small area of snow.

For NYC and surrounding, 3"-6", less then 10 days ago. Very nice snowfall for late February.

I had 8"...really was a nice powdery snowfall..

Still not completely giving up, it's only March 2nd and who knows if we see a rogue event later in the month. The pattern isn't looking very favorable, however, as the Strong La Niña finally seems to have taken control. It's been a gradual process but the NAO/AO and PNA have all shifted to values more consistent with ENSO climatology. That being said, many La Niña years did have a solid stretch of wintry weather in March such as 1956, 1960, 1967, and 1996...whether that happens remains to be seen.

I had 8"...really was a nice powdery snowfall..

Still not completely giving up, it's only March 2nd and who knows if we see a rogue event later in the month. The pattern isn't looking very favorable, however, as the Strong La Niña finally seems to have taken control. It's been a gradual process but the NAO/AO and PNA have all shifted to values more consistent with ENSO climatology. That being said, many La Niña years did have a solid stretch of wintry weather in March such as 1956, 1960, 1967, and 1996...whether that happens remains to be seen.

The funny thing is the nina seems to be weakening rapidly but it seems to be too late. What do we have to do to get decent winter weather around here now, put out the sun?

Anyway, did you see that Seattle got its coldest February since February 1989? I wonder if they will be getting any snow in March-- its not very likely over there.

The funny thing is the nina seems to be weakening rapidly but it seems to be too late. What do we have to do to get decent winter weather around here now, put out the sun?

Anyway, did you see that Seattle got its coldest February since February 1989? I wonder if they will be getting any snow in March-- its not very likely over there.

The Niña has weakened some but is holding its own: Region 3.4 is at -1.2C and Region 4 is at -1.0C. We've seen an incursion of milder waters into the eastern regions, but that's pretty typical for a mature La Niña.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pacific NW got a bit more snow, as the 12z ECM shows a strong -PNA around Day 6. This may fade with the MJO moving into Phases 7/8 so that might be their last chance.

The problem for us is that we've lost all the blocking that defined this winter. We have a very progressive flow across the North Atlantic which is preventing the cold anomalies in Canada from migrating southward.

The Niña has weakened some but is holding its own: Region 3.4 is at -1.2C and Region 4 is at -1.0C. We've seen an incursion of milder waters into the eastern regions, but that's pretty typical for a mature La Niña.

http://www.cpc.ncep....s-fcsts-web.pdf

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pacific NW got a bit more snow, as the 12z ECM shows a strong -PNA around Day 6. This may fade with the MJO moving into Phases 7/8 so that might be their last chance.

The problem for us is that we've lost all the blocking that defined this winter. We have a very progressive flow across the North Atlantic which is preventing the cold anomalies in Canada from migrating southward.

Brian (Vawxman) was talking about the strongest cold anomalies in the CONUS being on the east coast for the last ten days of March, so we'll see what that can bring. Wouldn't it be funny if we got a snowstorm on March 26-27?

Brian (Vawxman) was talking about the strongest cold anomalies in the CONUS being on the east coast for the last ten days of March, so we'll see what that can bring. Wouldn't it be funny if we got a snowstorm on March 26-27?

1974 had a snowstorm on 3/29 and some snow in April...1959, 1970, 1974. 1984, 1996 all had snowfalls on 3/27-29...

1974 had a snowstorm on 3/29 and some snow in April...1959, 1970, 1974. 1984, 1996 all had snowfalls on 3/27-29...

Lets Not forget 2003 after a record snowfall in February March had only 3.5 and April 7th had 4 -7 inches region wide heaviest amounts in central NJ ....

It is surprising how some folks are ending snowfall chances on March 2 -

http://wxoutlooks.blogspot.com/

12z NAM came in much wetter overall than 6z although measurable precip only begins to enter this region around hr 81 or so. Still a long way to go. I feel pretty confident that we won't see any significant snow out of this but an excessive rainfall event can not be ruled out.

The differences have to do with the tilt of the trough. Here on 6z at 84hrs you can see the trough is still neutral to slightly positive.

nam_500_084s.gif

Now on 12z, the trough is already slightly negivitve at 78hrs and quite negitive at 84hrs below.

nam_500_084s.gif

12z NAM came in much wetter overall than 6z although measurable precip only begins to enter this region around hr 81 or so. Still a long way to go. I feel pretty confident that we won't see any significant snow out of this but an excessive rainfall event can not be ruled out.

0z Euro has only .63" of rain for NYC.

0z Euro has only .63" of rain for NYC.

The Euro has been all over the place with this event, hard to trust its solution. The GFS has been pretty consistent since it backed off on the high QPF amounts. The Euro had a 2"+ rain event at 12z. I don't know why people still put so much stock in one model, it may have been the king in the past but this year it has scratches on its face.

Archived