• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/7

NEG NAO

6Z GFS shows strong HP in Southeast Canada slow moving LP to the south - something to keep an eye on at least for any interaction with cold enough air getting involved especially in the suburbs.... HP is even strengthining from 144 - 150 - that 0 850 is suspect IMO .....

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfs/06zgfs850mbTSLPp06144.gif

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfs/06zgfs850mbTSLPp06150.gif

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS continues to push this idea of a wave coming up the front. In the other march thread (again, why do we need two threads on March?), this has been talked about for several days.

Actually, I think this trends closer to the coast as the H5 field is definately negative enough to bring the surface low up into boston, not east of it, which would give us more precip and still take advantage of the cold air.

i have a question... does that show snow?? : 850's and surface look below zero...

Verbatim,

surface is colder then upper levels due to high pressure up north. I would think this is rain to heavy sleet and a little snow for the last 2 hours.

KLGA soundings:

Hour 138 and hour 144

MON 06Z 07-MAR 0.0 1.3 1013 95 99 0.55 554 543

MON 12Z 07-MAR -2.2 -0.7 1012 95 90 0.38 550 540

1st bold is surface temp

2nd bold is 850's

3rd bold is 6 hour precip

still some precip at 144, not much but some places still snowing.

Love that its right in the middle of the morning commute, mayhem!

still some precip at 144, not much but some places still snowing.

Love that its right in the middle of the morning commute, mayhem!

Only .01" falls after hour 144, so I left that out. Regardless, soundings show a good period of sleet to snow for LGA.

Verbatim,

surface is colder then upper levels due to high pressure up north. I would think this is rain to heavy sleet and a little snow for the last 2 hours.

show snow for where? soundings are just coming, out, give me a sounding station, and i will tell you.

Earliest it would show snow is 138.

thanks... mine's KISP... probably the same thing as KLGA, if not warmer...

With a strong HP in southeast canada pushing in with a slow mover LP up the coast - colder and frozen 2nd half to this event - here is EWR 12Z GFS output: this is heavy rain to heavy sleet and a few inches snow on top - frozen starts hours after midnight monday ...what a recipe for a trecherous monday morning commute....

http://68.226.77.253/text/1DegGFS/GFS_Kewr.txt

Archived