joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday 2/25 Flood and Heavy Rain Potential

am19psu

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not forecasting any snow for anybody in the region at this time, but if the models were going to trend in any direction, they would trend south, imo. It's really a question if the ridge can move east quicker than currently progged. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

I'm not forecasting any snow for anybody in the region at this time, but if the models were going to trend in any direction, they would trend south, imo. It's really a question if the ridge can move east quicker than currently progged. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

adam leaves the door open just a tiny bit :) ... i'm in ;)

I can see a NAM style track playing out where the low runs along/just south of Blue Mountain....50's south of that, 30's and icy rain in the Poconos?

I'm not really gung ho on the snow potential at least in Philly proper.

Current Wxsim program shows a total of 3.84" of rain between the 2 events. It indicates a brief period of IP at the very start tomorrow late day but then just plain rain and plenty of it. With storm #1 (2.39") with storm #2 on Sunday late (1.45")

I have been told there is a chance of thunderstorms overnight Thursday into early Friday morning

Drenching rain storm continues on the 12z NAM, only difference is that its maybe a tad quicker. Should completely disolve the snowpack where it exists and cause some river rises.

wouldn't be surprised if almost all of it is gone (at least from Philly south) by tomorrow. 40-42 today, mid 40's tomorrow plus full sun today will do a number on the snow.

The rain could be a bigger flooding issue than snow melt itself since there isn't a ton of water content in the snow (1/2" or so).

wouldn't be surprised if almost all of it is gone (at least from Philly south) by tomorrow. 40-42 today, mid 40's tomorrow plus full sun today will do a number on the snow.

The rain could be a bigger flooding issue than snow melt itself since there isn't a ton of water content in the snow (1/2" or so).

well up in my neck of the woods, we got 6-8" in most spots from the first system and nothing with the second system. Most spots still had a few inches on the ground even after the warm temps although the 30"+ snowpack from early February has taken a severe hit. We also still have quite a few large piles from where everything was plowed. I don't think flooding will be an issue with this except very localized but the cutter in a few days may cause some problems.

GFS has been trending north for the last 24 hours.

^^^ good thread name.

Anyone have any thoughts on the poconos? Trip with friends this week and plan on boarding, just pessimistic about rain ruining the trails. Any insight would be appreciated. I'm not too familiar with elevation and climatology up there this time of year. (mt. Pocono area)

This looks like an all-rain event for the Philly area, perhaps beginning and/or ending with a bit of wintry precip in the Lehigh Valley.

I got a nice present from Mother Nature last year on my birthday (2/25) with ~10 inches of snow from the 2/25-2/26 storm. I figure I'm due for a rainer this year.

This looks like an all-rain event for the Philly area, perhaps beginning and/or ending with a bit of wintry precip in the Lehigh Valley.

I got a nice present from Mother Nature last year on my birthday (2/25) with ~10 inches of snow from the 2/25-2/26 storm. I figure I'm due for a rainer this year.

Yeah this year I shall not have any snow on the ground or falling for or on my birthday next Tuesday

GFS has been trending north for the last 24 hours.

Yeah, I meant where the consensus of models was at 0z Euro/0z UKM/0z CMC/6z GFS, which were pretty tightly clustered. Sorry for not being more clear.

I've been so busy doing other stuff, I assume everything held serve at 12z, since the thread barely moved?

High Wind Watch now.

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

431 AM EST THU FEB 24 2011

DEZ001>004-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-NJZ001-007>010-012>027-PAZ054-

055-060>062-067>071-242100-

/O.CON.KPHI.HW.A.0002.110225T1500Z-110226T0300Z/

NEW CASTLE-KENT-INLAND SUSSEX-DELAWARE BEACHES-CECIL-KENT MD-

QUEEN ANNES-TALBOT-CAROLINE-SUSSEX-WARREN-MORRIS-HUNTERDON-

SOMERSET-MIDDLESEX-WESTERN MONMOUTH-EASTERN MONMOUTH-MERCER-SALEM-

GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-OCEAN-CUMBERLAND-

ATLANTIC-CAPE MAY-ATLANTIC COASTAL CAPE MAY-COASTAL ATLANTIC-

COASTAL OCEAN-SOUTHEASTERN BURLINGTON-CARBON-MONROE-BERKS-LEHIGH-

NORTHAMPTON-CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...DOVER...GEORGETOWN...

REHOBOTH BEACH...ELKTON...CHESTERTOWN...CENTREVILLE...EASTON...

DENTON...NEWTON...WASHINGTON...MORRISTOWN...FLEMINGTON...

SOMERVILLE...NEW BRUNSWICK...FREEHOLD...SANDY HOOK...TRENTON...

PENNSVILLE...GLASSBORO...CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...

MOUNT HOLLY...JACKSON...MILLVILLE...HAMMONTON...

CAPE MAY COURT HOUSE...OCEAN CITY...ATLANTIC CITY...

LONG BEACH ISLAND...WHARTON STATE FOREST...JIM THORPE...

STROUDSBURG...READING...ALLENTOWN...BETHLEHEM...WEST CHESTER...

NORRISTOWN...DOYLESTOWN...MEDIA...PHILADELPHIA

431 AM EST THU FEB 24 2011

...HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH

FRIDAY EVENING...

A HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH

FRIDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...THE ENTIRE MOUNT HOLLY FORECAST AREA.

* HAZARDS...STRONG GUSTY WINDS... WHICH MAY KNOCK DOWN LARGE

TREE LIMBS AS WELL AS WEAKER TREES AND POWER LINES.

* WINDS...WEST 20 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH AT TIMES.

* TIMING...LATE FRIDAY MORNING INTO EARLY FRIDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...DOWNED TREES AND TREE LIMBS COULD TAKE DOWN POWER

LINES AS WELL AS DAMAGE VEHICLES PARKED UNDER THEM. WINDS WILL

MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO DRIVE HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES ESPECIALLY ON

BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WATCH MEANS THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A HAZARDOUS

HIGH WIND EVENT. SUSTAINED WINDS OF AT LEAST 40 MPH...OR GUSTS OF

58 MPH OR STRONGER MAY OCCUR. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST

FORECASTS.

&&

$$

ROBERTSON