• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Presidents Day Storm OBS and NOWCASTING.

tombo82685

GFS a bit south.

I think I'll go the same for tonight as for last night around Trenton... coating to 2 inches. Though I'd bet closer to the coating. 2 inches is just in case it manages to slide a bit further north.

Ray, do you care to give an opinion on the wisdom of following the GFS at this short of a range? Does its accuracy diminish at this point (with respect to a tonight into tomorrow event) and we should rely more on the NAM and HRRR? Or does it still serve as a decent tool along with the NAM and HRRR? I know others have discussed the relative merits of the various models at various timeframes, but I didn't copy/paste that into a cheat sheet. So sorry if this has been asked before.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a temperature gradient accross area. Below is snippet from latest Mt. Holly roundup. 45F difference between Patuxent and Binghampton.

$$

NJZ001>014-211700-

NORTHERN NEW JERSEY

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS

SUSSEX CLOUDY 27 19 74 NE8 29.74F WCI 18

ANDOVER* N/A 27 23 85 NE13 29.73F WCI 16

MORRISTOWN CLOUDY 31 28 89 N7 29.73F WCI 24

PHILADELPHIA CLOUDY 39 31 72 N8 29.72R WCI 33

MOUNT POCONO CLOUDY 28 22 78 N6 29.65F WCI 22

WILKES BARRE CLOUDY 27 21 80 N12 29.73F WCI 16

$$

DEZALL-MDZ008-012-015-019-020-211700-

DELAWARE AND EASTERN MARYLAND

GEORGETOWN PTSUNNY 54 33 45 W8 29.66S

PATUXENT PTSUNNY 62 34 35 W17 29.66R

OCEAN CITY PTSUNNY 58 41 53 W7 29.65F

WALLOPS ISLAND PTSUNNY 59 40 49 W18G38 29.65F

SALISBURY CLOUDY 56 37 49 W15 29.66S

BINGHAMTON FLURRIES 17 12 80 N15 29.79R WCI 2

$$

GFS a bit south.

I think I'll go the same for tonight as for last night around Trenton... coating to 2 inches. Though I'd bet closer to the coating. 2 inches is just in case it manages to slide a bit further north.

forecast violation - too much of a spread for low end totals

either coating to an inch or 1-2"

forecast violation - too much of a spread for low end totals

either coating to an inch or 1-2"

Oh puh-lease... remember the level of QPF we are talking about. I don't know anyone who can accurately forecast within a tenth of an inch all the time, or even some of the time. Not to mention the crazy gradient.

Besides, that was a perfectly acceptable forecast at AccuWeather ;):lmao:

Ray, do you care to give an opinion on the wisdom of following the GFS at this short of a range? Does its accuracy diminish at this point (with respect to a tonight into tomorrow event) and we should rely more on the NAM and HRRR? Or does it still serve as a decent tool along with the NAM and HRRR? I know others have discussed the relative merits of the various models at various timeframes, but I didn't copy/paste that into a cheat sheet. So sorry if this has been asked before.

If the NAM showed it north I'd be more cautious... but the GFS is essentially in-line with the NAM and the previous GEM around Trenton with a bit less than 0.10" QPF. If there is major discrepency between the NAM and GFS then that's a warning alarm in the short term (as there was for the 0Z runs last night, with the NAM mostly north and the GFS bringing a boat-load of precip into PHL), but that's not the case now.

Well, part 1 certainly underperformed a bit, with me getting 1.25" in Metuchen vs. the 3-5" forecast. On the bright side, however, this snowfall pushes us over 60" for the season to 60.5", which is pretty damn sweet. After ending last year at 59" with no snow in March and then being stuck on 59" this year for the past month (outside of a couple of 1/4" events), I was starting to worry we somehow wouldn't crack 60". Very nice. Tonight's not looking so good for us this far north, though.

A blend off all the models appears to give 1-3" north of the PA Turnpike (from about Morgantown, PA on east) and 1-3" also north of I-195 or the ACY expressway in Jersey.

Areas south of there (and west of Morgantown) get 3-5" based on what I see.

I would say the AC Expressway... North of I-195 its more like a coating to an inch or 2, using said blend.

Archived