• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
2/20 -2/22 Storm Threat Discussion

Zelocita Weather

They may be "mailing it in"...but at least they are now in the ballpark...and huge errors seem to be a thing of the past.

I only live 15 miles away...and many times we have been in fairly decent agreement.

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

William, didnt Islip keep shoddy records in the past also and theyve done much better in the last half dozen years or so?

Yes, that is correct. A 15 - 20 inch snowstorm in December 2003 was recorded as a "trace", for example. There has been improvement over the last 5 years.

Yes, that is correct. A 15 - 20 inch snowstorm in December 2003 was recorded as a "trace", for example. There has been improvement over the last 5 years.

I think Farmingdale recorded 20" in that one. Northport had 21" Must've been one hell of a cut off out by Islip ;)

Check carefully some of the observers stats though William. I have noticed over the last few years there are some perfect 10:1 ratios on snow measurement, which leads me to believe the observer is simply mailing it in......

Wait a minute, you don't mean to tell me that someone in Bridgeport is not taking their job's seriously .... come on!!!!!!:banned:

Ya, but your 15 minutes is south and over water!!!! and gains no altitude (probably, I am not completely familiar with topo where you are).

Actually gains 170 feet...Bridgeport vs Port Jeff snowfall...let's just say it's a complicated relationship...

hahaha. Actually, arent you closer to New Haven than Bridgeport, William?

Negative.... the CT coast bends a little more sharply northeastward as one heads east of BDR...then straightens out again east of Yale...

Thanks, but just so you know the link that you posted before was from the 6z run, the 18z run just came out and it is very similar, but just a little less accumulation. But it is amazing how similar it really is.

I'm on my phone right now but google "earl barker regional snowfall" and you'll get the link.

post-1914-0-64607500-1298158983.gif

Negative.... the CT coast bends a little more sharply northeastward as one heads east of BDR...then straightens out again east of Yale...

Ahhh ok, you're really close to Mt Sinai arent you? Looks like that area has a slight elevation (220 feet or so.)

Thanks, but just so you know the link that you posted before was from the 6z run, the 18z run just came out and it is very similar, but just a little less accumulation. But it is amazing how similar it really is.

The link is the same for both off hour runs (06/18z)...so if your cache wasn't cleared or the image wasnt updated yet it would show 06z. But I refreshed and mines the same, so I guess mine had updated. Looks good.

Ahhh ok, you're really close to Mt Sinai arent you? Looks like that area has a slight elevation (220 feet or so.)

The towns border one another. Of course, down at the beach you are at sea level, then as you drive south you generally are moving uphill...the high point in Port Jefferson is 270' a.s.l., I think.

Wait a minute, you don't mean to tell me that someone in Bridgeport is not taking their job's seriously .... come on!!!!!!:banned:

:lol:

If you look back through the years and what is actually required of weather observers, it's a tough job. I suppose doing it well would require that job to be a 24/7 effort if you think about it. I guess I was a little bit harsh in my assessment, but when the errors are glaring it just annoys me. But then again, I wouldn't be able to do it better than anyone else.....

And let's not forget, it gon' snow......

:snowman:

The towns border one another. Of course, down at the beach you are at sea level, then as you drive south you generally are moving uphill...the high point in Port Jefferson is 270' a.s.l., I think.

So there you might get the reverse scenario from here, which is, maybe in a borderline case it was mixing right near the sound and all snow in the hills to the south-- although I dont know how much of a difference 270' would make.

So there you might get the reverse scenario from here, which is, maybe in a borderline case it was mixing right near the sound and all snow in the hills to the south-- although I dont know how much of a difference 270' would make.

It's possible...when I was younger, I might have investigated such possibilities...in recent years, 24 hours is not sufficient for one day....

:lol:

If you look back through the years and what is actually required of weather observers, it's a tough job. I suppose doing it well would require that job to be a 24/7 effort if you think about it. I guess I was a little bit harsh in my assessment, but when the errors are glaring it just annoys me. But then again, I wouldn't be able to do it better than anyone else.....

And let's not forget, it gon' snow......

:snowman:

I know some of the problems at JFK are due to them measuring from a roof top-- I hope they dont do that a Bridgeport.

It's possible...when I was younger, I might have investigated such possibilities...in recent years, 24 hours is not sufficient for one day....

I know what you mean lol-- if we could get rid of all the nasty sulfur dioxide and greenhouse warming of Venus, that would be the perfect place to retire to. Each venusian day = something like 240 earth days lol. As a matter of fact, their day is longer than their year.

I know what you mean lol-- if we could get rid of all the nasty sulfur dioxide and greenhouse warming of Venus, that would be the perfect place to retire to. Each venusian day = something like 240 earth days lol. As a matter of fact, their day is longer than their year.

I believe the surface temperature is 800 F...and the air pressure is such that it would crush virtually anything...make's Hell sound tolerable in comparison....

I believe the surface temperature is 800 F...and the air pressure is such that it would crush virtually anything...make's Hell sound tolerable in comparison....

Yup, thats from the GHG and the sulfur dioxide. I think whomever called it "Earth's Twin" was being sarcastic. Although, if one could ditch the poisonous gasses, it might be different.

I know some of the problems at JFK are due to them measuring from a roof top-- I hope they dont do that a Bridgeport.

I don't know what the Bridgeport guy does....sometimes the report is spot on and other times it's clearly mailed in. I think the market for automated sensors beyond what we have now is interesting.....That's right up your alley Alex, isn't it?

Yup, thats from the GHG and the sulfur dioxide. I think whomever called it "Earth's Twin" was being sarcastic. Although, if one could ditch the poisonous gasses, it might be different.

They are deemed "twins" only because the diameters are very similar...

They are deemed "twins" only because the diameters are very similar...

Yup, in every other way theyre opposite lol. I've always wondered what caused their evolution to proceed so differently, considering theyre each other's closest planetary neighbors and close to the same diameter.

Archived