• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 9-10 - Snow Reports - GEORGIA

MotoWeatherman

Once I went to bed at 1am last night and saw the radar I knew you would be the winner...again. LOL.

That now makes 5 straight 1"+ events where you got more than me. This goes back to March of 2009 where I got just rain.

lol..I bet you was shaking your head wasn't you?

That is just nuts though. I mean seriously, who in the hell would have ever thought that was possible? I sure as hell didn't. Never in my wildest dreams could I have pictured anything like that.

Anybody care to take a guess at who just moved to the middle of the <1" snow hole. Greg (Dixie), I suggest you pack your crap and get on out of Bartow. First, you hogged all of last weeks snow and now you robbed me of my true inch last night. :gun_bandana:

Interesting map. From the map azero posted, the 2 inch line should extend down to greensboro. From the map A.Z. posted, it doesn't show any 2 inch reports in or around jackson county and that is backed up by satellite which doesn't seem to show any snow there but they must have gotten some reports saying as much. Yet again, it's So Strange seeing the bullseye right over athens again though. Simply awesome. :D

Here is my completely scientific explanation for what happened. Much like trailing a fart from one room to another, Greg brought hot air from Cherokee County into Bartow County. I did the same thing and look what happened to me: complete fail in March 2009. I brought 25 years of Cherokee air where as Greg only brought a few. So that hot air in combination with the latent heat release from the refreezing of Greg's horded snow from last Thursday caused a warm pocket centered over Adairsville. While this limited our snow the rising warm air in conjunction with the steam output from Plant McDonough, Plant Scherer, and planes punching cloud holes from Hartsfield acted to form the Comer, GA snow dome. After the dome you can clearly see the snow shadow effect to the east and northeast of the Comer, GA snow dome. See the graphic below for exact locations.

post-295-0-52630600-1297360160.gif

Here is my completely scientific explanation for what happened. Much like trailing a fart from one room to another, Greg brought hot air from Cherokee County into Bartow County. I did the same thing and look what happened to me: complete fail in March 2009. I brought 25 years of Cherokee air where as Greg only brought a few. So that hot air in combination with the latent heat release from the refreezing of Greg's horded snow from last Thursday caused a warm pocket centered over Adairsville. While this limited our snow the rising warm air in conjunction with the steam output from Plant McDonough, Plant Scherer, and planes punching cloud holes from Hartsfield acted to form the Comer, GA snow dome. After the dome you can clearly see the snow shadow effect to the east and northeast of the Comer, GA snow dome. See the graphic below for exact locations.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Too damn funny, Emerson!!

Im a transplanted yankee and know how to measure... ;)

I am about 3 miles almost due east of KFFC. Recieved 1.3 inches here measured very early am when the snow stopped. Looked BEAUTIFUL this am!

i'm interested in making sure to get the right total since I'm in Cocorahs. I think the nws rep said to wipe the snowboard or whatever surface clear every hour. I couldn't find it on the cocorahs site, but I think in an email they quoted 6 hours, but then they are based in Colorado. I wonder is it more often here because the melt is usually faster, or if they just have it wrong saying 6 hours. I am thinking wiping it clear every one hour would result in higher total than every 6 hours in some cases.

I am thinking I turned in too low of a total during the christmas storm. I think I measured 1.5 or 2 inches, but am pretty certain if I had cleared my surface once an hour I would have had substantially more accumulated snow, like maybe even 4 inches.

Here's how CoCoRaHS tells you to do it. http://www.cocorahs....age=measuresnow In order to be consistent with other CoCoRaHS measurements, that's what I would (and do) follow.

Steve Nelson with FFC said measure every hour but most people can't really do that, especially if it's overnight etc.

I just emptied the rain gauge and I only had around .07" for the event. Temps werent my problem but the precip was.

Yep. Dry air kicked our ass last night. If I were to wager, 1/3 of that storm was wasted on virga. I had 30dbz echos right over my head and nada. It took a long time to get the air saturated even after the snow started falling and you could tell by the way the flakes were (small and fluffy). About 10:30, the flakes were very large but I think we had a warmer ground this go round.

Anyway, no complaints. What fell was beautiful and this has been, by far, my best GA winter since moving here from St. Louis in March of 97 (the first spring I became to appreciate CAD events in GA!)

I just emptied the rain gauge and I only had around .07" for the event. Temps werent my problem but the precip was.

Just the opposite here. I had 1/2 inch of liquid, but most fell as rain. I measured at 10:30 am for the snow, because I was up so late, so a lot had melted by then. I measured 7/8's" snow, but expect if I'd been up at 7am it would have been a bit more. Anyway, not much snow result for a half inch of liquid.

Just like the Monday storm I got good liquid from this one. In fact in the last 10 days or less I've gotten 4 3/4's or a bit more in rain/sn. No drought showing here except a cold air drought when I need it :) Tony

Archived