Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 9-10 - Snow Reports - GEORGIA

MotoWeatherman

2.8 SE of Dacula - CoCoRaHS GA-GW-29

Latitude: 33.95335°

Longitude: -83.85710°

1.75" (.1" liquid of melted snow) and a total of .25" liquid, including the .1" liquid AND the other melted snow.

I know, makes no sense...

I never took the top off my CoCoRaHS gauge last night so it was still funneling snow (or melted snow) into the center measuring tube. Precip started falling around 10:30 last night as snow, and at some point the initial snowfall melted into the tube, hence the .1" of liquid. Then, once the snow quit melting it accumulated in the "bowl" that I didn't take off. That's where the rest of the melted snow came from.

1.25" in Carrollton (accumulating snow), probably 2-3 inches fell from the sky. Btw, i'm curious, when you see snowfall reports, is that actually accumulated snow or does that include snow that fell but melted as well ?

Accumulated.

Posting from my droid.

You should account for some melting and compaction but that can only do so much with this amount of snow. 1/4" of both combined tops. So far the Athens area is once again the winner! :thumbsup:

Also, like several here have done, we need your location relative to a registered city or, better, your lat/lon to 3 decimal places.

You should account for some melting and compaction but that can only do so much with this amount of snow. 1/4" of both combined tops. So far the Athens area is once again the winner! :thumbsup:

Also, like several here have done, we need your location relative to a registered city or, better, your lat/lon to 3 decimal places.

:thumbsup: Amazing.

A few miles from comer here, Somewhere between 2.5 and 3 inches. Hard to say exactly how much because of compaction but it's very close to 3 inches plus I Have the pics to prove it.

1.25" in Carrollton (accumulating snow), probably 2-3 inches fell from the sky. Btw, i'm curious, when you see snowfall reports, is that actually accumulated snow or does that include snow that fell but melted as well ?

The official standard for measuring snow is to do so hourly on an unobstructed flat area then add up the hourly observations. Snow depth is the total amount of snow on the ground at the time of observation. This accounts for the melting and compaction. Also minimizes some of the drifting snow or snow from trees or roofs blowing onto the observation area. Multiple measurements in an unobstructed area also helps with the drifting problem.

The real problem is very few know how to do this properly, especially in the south.

:thumbsup: Amazing.

A few miles from comer here, Somewhere between 2.5 and 3 inches. Hard to say exactly how much because of compaction but it's very close to 3 inches plus I Have the pics to prove it.

That fits. Here's the CoCoRaHS map. We're trying to get the Polk county report fixed. Obviously they added a zero to their total.

http://www.cocorahs.org/Maps/GetMap.aspx?state=GA&area=AtlantaMetro&type=snow&date=02/10/2011&cp=0

post-3715-0-42715600-1297347421.gif

That fits. Here's the CoCoRaHS map. We're trying to get the Polk county report fixed. Obviously they added a zero to their total.

http://www.cocorahs.org/Maps/GetMap.aspx?state=GA&area=AtlantaMetro&type=snow&date=02/10/2011&cp=0

I'm a little bit surprised there wasn't more in danielsville and colbert..especially colbert. I'm about 15 miles east of them and watching the radar close last night, I have a hard time believing they had that much less precip. I don't remember seeing any breaks there more so than here. Maybe had more to do with temperature since they are closer to athens and athens was about a degree or so warmer than lexington and myself during a lot of the event. The 2.5 in lexington sounds about right and they would have had more if not for an odd "crack" in the precip a few times across oglethorpe county.

As for measuring, I'm no expert by any means but i measured in several flat spots (with pics). Some where 2.5, some where 2.75 and a couple were right at 3 and this was as of just 10 or 15 minutes ago (overslept and got up late btw which is why I didn't earlier) and I know there has been some melting from underneath and/or it's compacted a little since it ended.

I'll post the pics here in a little bit.

Here is my highly scientific attempt at measuring

These were all done around 9:30 and there has been melting going on for a while on top of the snow settling a little bit since it stopped a number of hours ago, which is why I think I might have gotten an even 3. As you can see, I have a couple I took where I measured on the ground that have 3 (even a little bit over 3) in spots but I doubt those count since you can't prove it's flat and it's not the best way to do it. But fwiw here

post-12-0-60623700-1297351329.jpg

post-12-0-97064500-1297351429.jpg

post-12-0-62661300-1297351431.jpg

post-12-0-08250000-1297351536.jpg

For my first post I am happy to report that I got 1.5 inches in the big city of Senoia, Ga. I have followed this board for a couple of years now and I want to give a shout out and big thanks to all of you who spend so much time following the weather and post on here. I have been going through some health issues and my wife said she is was glad I had something to keep me occupied. :thumbsup:

I am about 4 miles from DaculaWeather and this is what I woke up to this morning, right at 1.25", I think Lookout made out like a bandit (snow hog):lol: :

lol I have been *extremely* fortunate these last two winters. I don't know how or why all of a sudden I've been in the sweet spot but I sure as hell have enjoyed it. For so many years, I was so frustrated because of being screwed time after time and it just seems like I've been in the twilight zone these last 2 seasons.

For my first post I am happy to report that I got 1.5 inches in the big city of Senoia, Ga. I have followed this board for a couple of years now and I want to give a shout out and big thanks to all of you who spend so much time following the weather and post on here. I have been going through some health issues and my wife said she is was glad I had something to keep me occupied. :thumbsup:

Yeah it's addicting isn't it? I'd probably go crazy if I didn't have this board to come to during a big weather event. Sorry to hear about the health issues, hope you get better.

Here is a visible shot this morning and you can tell just how narrow the sweet zone was. From south of atlanta to athens and to here, although my location is now under the cloud cover. Speaking of clouds, you can see a rather unusual band of it in the savannah river valley, it went from totally sunny to cloudy the last half hour and it almost looks like it could flurry outside right now. But it's helped slow down the melting, which is still going on very fast.

post-12-0-28409700-1297353124.jpg

lol I have been *extremely* fortunate these last two winters. I don't know how or why all of a sudden I've been in the sweet spot but I sure as hell have enjoyed it. For so many years, I was so frustrated because of being screwed time after time and it just seems like I've been in the twilight zone these last 2 seasons.

Once I went to bed at 1am last night and saw the radar I knew you would be the winner...again. LOL.

That now makes 5 straight 1"+ events where you got more than me. This goes back to March of 2009 where I got just rain.

Welcome and I hope whatever you are dealing with gets better soon.

Anybody care to take a guess at who just moved to the middle of the <1" snow hole. Greg (Dixie), I suggest you pack your crap and get on out of Bartow. First, you hogged all of last weeks snow and now you robbed me of my true inch last night. :gun_bandana:

.75 IMBY

Ha ha, what poorly thought out purchase property!! LOL Funny thing is all three of us.... me, you and Greg all managed to stay within the less than an inch hole!

Archived