Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Weekend Lake-effect Snow

OSUmetstud

Sigh :axe: no chance for metro huh :hug:

Given the fickle nature of LES, I wouldn't rule out a significant event anywhere in WNY right now...except for perhaps the immediate Lake Ontario counties. All it'll take is an unexpected s/w to back the flow by 10-20 degrees for a few hours to yield a significant accumulation northward to the city or even the north town suburbs. And at this time of year, it isn't terribly uncommon for lake bands to end up farther north than depicted by numerical guidance.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was bizzare the people were giving up 3 days before the event. :lol:

700mb moisture ftw.

Well, given the lead time and the last day's worth of trends in all the models, I'll admit that my zeal had diminished substantially....lesson learned!

That said, we aren't talking about a total reversal, back to the peak of the models' outputs a few days ago....but they have come back enough to get pretty interesting! Now that we are closer to the event, confidence has to go up substantially from where one would have had 3 days ago (that an event will happen) just given the model accuracy gain that comes with shorter leads...:snowman:

Given the fickle nature of LES, I wouldn't rule out a significant event anywhere in WNY right now...except for perhaps the immediate Lake Ontario counties. All it'll take is an unexpected s/w to back the flow by 10-20 degrees for a few hours to yield a significant accumulation northward to the city or even the north town suburbs. And at this time of year, it isn't terribly uncommon for lake bands to end up farther north than depicted by numerical guidance.

Lake induced thermal pressure field = BUF ftw!!!:snowman: Let's see what the mean boundary layer temps verify as.

The strong boundary layer flow could also allow this potential lake band to penetrate well inland, bringing locally +SN to areas that typically don't benefit from Lake Erie. This is the 3hr QPF between 21z Friday and 00z Saturday, according to the 18z high resolution WRF. If this verifies, this could be an advisory-criteria event all the way to ROC:

post-619-0-74256600-1290557851.png

The strong boundary layer flow could also allow this potential lake band to penetrate well inland, bringing locally +SN to areas that typically don't benefit from Lake Erie. This is the 3hr QPF between 21z Friday and 00z Saturday, according to the 18z high resolution WRF. If this verifies, this could be an advisory-criteria event all the way to ROC:

LES Inland Penetration

It's like grasping straws but here is a ppt presentation regarding favorable parameters for inland penetration of LES bands.

Worth posting this time of year (again) but here is a couple sites Uticawx posted a few years back:

http://www.lightecho.net/les/

http://kkd.ou.edu/ME...PT#345,17,Basic

Hope you have your shovel waxed up. When you get that flip from rain to snow it will help slide the snow paste off. :lol: Enjoy the holiday and the snow!

Don't think this would work up there by you

For viewing pleasure as our LES dreams roll!!

dscn1644c.jpg

A brief let up:

dscn1657f.jpg

About 60" in the bank....Time for a second roof shovel/raking:

dscn1680a.jpg

About 6 hours of this!!! Snowfall rates of up to 7"/hr......BUT with all the other fluff under it, toward the end of this burst, snowfall SETTLING RATES were about 1.5"/hr.!!!

dscn1693v.jpg

And the aftermath of 127" over 6 days and 3 (or was it 4) snow removals from my roof (and it had settled ALOT when this was taken:

dscn1697rh.jpg

00z WRF hammers the south towns between 21z Friday and 00z Saturday...then shifts the band south where it cranks out +SN in ski country before slowly weakening after 09z Saturday. My location doesn't do as well this run, but it's much better for the more "traditional" snowbelt locations of northern Chautauqua and southern Erie Counties. I'm sure even this won't end up being the final solution, but it's encouraging that the model hasn't really backed off on the idea of a heavy Lake Erie snowband. My optimism is growing.

Archived