mississaugasnow
Members-
Posts
1,330 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Blogs
Forums
American Weather
Media Demo
Store
Gallery
Everything posted by mississaugasnow
-
Upstate/Eastern New York
mississaugasnow replied to BuffaloWeather's topic in Upstate New York/Pennsylvania
I know winter is only a quarter of a way thru but March to me isn't a real "winter" month. Its similar to November in the sense that sunny and 60s in march happens regularly enough that its baked into our minds that March is pretty much a spring month. January and February are winter months but by late February there's no denying sun angle and the first warmth you start to feel in the car with just the sun out. Thats also completely up to what you consider winter. Some of the upper midwest and prairie provinces biggest snowstorms/blizzards are in April and October which to me is a waste because even that far north its quickly back into the 50s-60s with sun almost right after the snow ends. -
Upstate/Eastern New York
mississaugasnow replied to BuffaloWeather's topic in Upstate New York/Pennsylvania
I know this is a slow start for CNY but I dont think what were seeing are Great Lakes cutters recently. CNY is in an even weirder position compared to most eastern Great Lakes region. Your almost better with those monster storms that ride up the coast or just inland. But a typical Great Lakes cutter is one that goes up towards Chicago and the western Great Lakes, giving Michigan, Ohio, PA, NY rain and Wisconsin, N. Illinois ect.. a snowstorm. On the plus side your sub is pretty small so you share a lot of victories but also the loses lol. Since I live in GTA I use your sub and Great Lakes/OV sub. That ones massive haha. I track snowstorms with people from Iowa, Minnesota all the way to eastern Ohio haha. Buffalo is finally cashing in big time since last night and its nice to see them get the 4-8" snowstorm followed by 15-25" of Lake Effect. -
I will always still visit the banter but... somehow there's a swath from immediate Detroit Metro down to Cleveland up thru most of southern Ontario including GTHA and depending how the lake effect snow goes tonight-tomorrow immediate Buffalo Metro. This region has repeatedly cashed in with multiple 1-3" and a few legit snowstorms in the 4-8" with Christmas delivering Toronto-Buffalo and Cleveland a 4-8" snow and Detroit a surprise 2-3" snow. Reading large parts of the sub talk about 1" being the biggest event of the year makes me feel pretty grateful that I'm now approaching 20" on the season before January.
-
Upstate/Eastern New York
mississaugasnow replied to BuffaloWeather's topic in Upstate New York/Pennsylvania
YYZ is at almost 20" on the season before this storm. Where I live is in Haldimand County, about 15-20 minutes south of Hamilton. Ive received about 14" so far. The big difference was that storm earlier in the year where YYZ and most of the GTA got 7-11". I managed a decent 2-3" slop and then rain. That storm alone accounts for much of the disparity. Biggest storm of the year so far for me was 15.5cm or about 6". Im at a little over 3" fallen so far (taken about an hour ago) and it looks like this should end up my biggest storm of the year so far. -
Upstate/Eastern New York
mississaugasnow replied to BuffaloWeather's topic in Upstate New York/Pennsylvania
Niagara Falls reporting 32F and snow. KBUF still 35F and light rain. This looks to be a very tight gradient setting up in Buffalo metro. 31F here just outside Hamilton with light snow. About 1" so far. Local TV mets now calling for widespread 6-8" with 8-12" not out of the question in some areas. will try to update a few times throughout the night. Going to go for a nice long snow talk with the dog and fiancé. -
lol I must be the only one who doesnt mind it. Environment Canada also updated its radar recently (for the app) I use radar scope personally but I also check out NWS and EC ones. Why doesnt the NWS have an app? EC came out with an app maybe 1-2 years ago and I like it.
-
Did you get much last night? Though sucks to miss the main storm, woke up to 1.5" of powdery snow. With the snow cover -5C and grey overcast skies its my perfect winter morning. Unlike all the other storms this year, this one actually has a winter feel to it. The other ones felt more spring like with temperatures rising back to above 0C once the snow stopped.
-
YYZ and most of the GTA in general keeps its run of good luck going. widespread 1-3" for everyone from the Nor'easter and another 2-4" for areas that can get the lake effect snow. Ill wait and see but some local stations are even mentioning Oakville-Hamilton could see 6-8".
-
Nope, but Cleveland tonight on MNF looked the most packed out of any stadium I've seen yet. My one friend kept saying in the summer the NFL won't allow any fans and I said I bet fans go if allowed. That argument has now turned into well I didnt think they'd be dumb enough. Moving the goal posts as I never agreed on the smartness of the idea. We can laugh now at full MLB stadiums in mid/late summer because it sounds dumb but if the NFL and College Football are doing 5-30K fans in the midst of the worst part of the entire pandemic I don't know how you don't think some MLB teams will be going full steam ahead. By July even Canada is supposed to be well over 50% vaccinated and with the warmer weather (as Canadians saw this past summer) the numbers will plummet.
-
Im thinking that NHL and NBA playoffs have some fans in the stands. MLB is the first one to most likely do the slow build. Maybe 25% in April, 50% May, 75% June and full by July.
-
I guess you didnt see me complaining in the banter. Ill save you the click. The start to this winter is okay in my backyard but sucks overall and I don't know if the storminess everyone thinks will happen will actually happen. lol everything else on this sub is weather aside from this one thread
-
Ya, I think that goes back to my personal preference. I know March and occasionally April can have some decent winter events 2-8" but that personally does nothing for me and by April in Toronto the averages fly from mid 40s to upper 50s by the end. So Id rather 45-50F and sunny and 55-60F in the 2nd half of April then track a 3-6" snowstorm. Snow to me at that time of year is more annoying because im ready to start planting and cleaning up the yard.
-
Since it is banter. Ive mentioned before that this winter has already been given a C because of its decent start for my backyard. However, Im pretty confused by all the optimism and goal post moving and doubling down on winter. Its Mid December and though winter is nowhere close to done, December looks zzzz so that means a lot of places will have to really start crushing it come January and February. At what date do we start to see more of the board throw in the towel? If in two weeks the long range still looks garbage? Mid January?
-
haha ya I notice it. While not in the same boat I do want winter weather for November-February. Once November hits im pumped for that first 1-3" light snow event. That same event in March though I hate it and love the higher sun angle which destroys that tiny snowfall. By March a snowstorm to get me pumped and tracking would have to be 8-12"+ anything smaller and im annoyed routing for a pattern change that will bring sustained 40s during the day.
-
Looks like a decent system for Muskoka this weekend. another 4-8" to just keep adding to their base.
-
haha ya but for them I think using YTZ would show better that their thinking isn't that far from reality (For lakeshore areas and south)
-
Toronto is cashing in big time. Nothing down here just south of Hamilton. Since temperatures have been so marginal its going to cause some weird memories for this winter. I see Buffalo Metro is rain and 34F while its suburbs are having one of its bigger snow events of the year with around 2-3". The first snowstorm from a few weeks ago will be remembered in Brampton where my dad recorded 10" but my moms house down on the lake in Mississauga saw trace amounts. So already my mom views this winter as barely starting and my dad says its off to a fast start haha
-
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..
mississaugasnow replied to wolfie09's topic in Upstate New York/Pennsylvania
There are several side effects to my Bills tailgating the following morning but I continually do it. Sorry, I know you're trying to be serious. The government will have to be very transparent about possible side effects and for the citizens to not be alarmed by them. -
What im starting to wonder is NHL and NBA regular season is little to no fans. But at what point do the cases start plummeting because of vaccine roll out/mask use/herd immunity? It would be amazing to see NHL and NBA venues with fans for the playoffs, even if just 50-75%. Playoffs start mid April normally for both leagues.
-
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
mississaugasnow replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
I think zero expectations is the way to go into this winter. I think we will see a period of storminess but overall I expect a warm winter in the lower Great Lakes with below average snowfall. Though that will be very dependent on location even in the Lower lakes. Toronto has jumped out ahead fast but just 60 Miles across the lake in WNY they are off to a brutal start. December-writings on the wall for this month. Every storm (aside from pockets like Toronto) in Great Lakes and now New England has underperformed due to warmth. More sloppy rain and wet snow systems but the tables been set. January-Interesting area wide. February-Interesting but torch really starts to show up March-Early spring with tornado outbreaks much further north (Ohio,Indiana ect..) -
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
mississaugasnow replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
I think this is more banter section. But your right the Lower lakes and lower midwest aren't favourable for sustained cold and snow. We should all know this but we still all like to complain (me included but like I said in banter this winter has checked off the boxes for me and already gets a C no matter what) I want cold and snow N/D/J and start to not care come February, certainly don't care about any snowstorms after March 5-10th -
I can answer both these relatively the same. Low expectations and low checklist is because of where I live/lived. I used to live right along the lakeshore in Mississauga so numerous winter events were slop, and now I live up on the escarpment but in the Hamilton/Niagara area so a lot of events are similar to lakeshore living (some aren't like Tuesdays storm) I also have a cottage though up hwy 11 in the Almaguin highlands (Parry Sound district but closer to hwy 11) and I go up there a bunch in the winter. They currently have 12" of snow on the ground and unlikely they see the ground again until April. Most winters up there max out around 25-40" on the ground from Late December-Mid March and regulary dip below -20C even in the warmest winters for the GTA. Its just a completely different world only 2.5-3.5 hours north of the city. So I guess long story short is I have a basic checklist for my home, but that's because I know what "real" winter is supposed to look like and the GTA will never have it lol.
-
Ive had 1 decent winter storm and 1 mediocre slop fest with 2 other events that ranged from 1-2". Im already over 10" for the season and hit my typical once a season 6" snowstorm. Ive checked off the boxes and with the 6" snow coming December 1st it made for the Christmas feeling. I got lucky threading the needle with the 2nd storm and personally I enjoy front loaded winters so im content now. It can rain, it can snow, I could get an ice storm, but since my main winter boxes have been checked and checked early im already playing with house money haha.
-
Ya, I agree with this. Thanksgiving and Easter here are on par where its normally close family dinners (10-15 people ect..) whereas Christmas is when my friends and family fly "home" to Toronto from Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Halifax ect.. and its the typical US thanksgiving feel where we see distant family, head to a bar to catch up with old friends ect.. Thanksgiving though is pretty engrained in Ontario (cant speak for other provinces) where there's town fall fairs, closing up the cottage, family time. That all said Christmas for Canada is going to be a mess I think. Most of my friends didn't even really comment on US thanksgiving being crazy as they themselves have already booked tickets home for Christmas and some in Ontario have booked ski trips out to Alberta ect.. Lots of travel I think is going to happen in Canada.
-
Winter 2020-21 Medium/Long Range Discussion
mississaugasnow replied to Hoosier's topic in Lakes/Ohio Valley
someone would be left out but mid winter gives the best chance for them. seen it a few times where a strong Alberta clippers gives 4-7" across the upper midwest and a gulf low starts coming north around the same time.
