Jump to content

North and West

Members
  • Posts

    2,945
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by North and West

  1. What does this mean to a layman? That it'll be a quick hitter? TIA.
  2. It’s the tranquility that does it for me, in regards to reminding me of my childhood. Just nothing going on precipitation wise. I’m concerned about drought later in the year. .
  3. Thank you! I genuinely don't understand the physics and math behind everything, but I feel like I do understand the sociology and psychology behind these feelings. I think we have a combination of recency bias (it's snowed a lot to the relative norm over the past 27 years), along with the psychology of 20 degree mornings and 40 degree days in January with clouds and sun while no precipitation means a torch. It doesn't. It's just dry, and we often forget that winter is not just about snow, though that's what our tactile and visionary sense tells us. It's also a good reminder of two other things: 1. Drought is usually the most underreported/unfelt weather phenomenon when it begins, since it's a slow burn (though we're just in a dry spell); 2. With so many forecasting tools available to us now, we anticipate things that often never materialize, and are thusly disappointed. (The big storm is always just ten days away!)
  4. Thank you. Was just mentioning this to the missus. I hate wet, cold, muddy Marches and Aprils. Just give me mild and gentle rain, and let my grass grow and for my kids to play baseball.
  5. That’s more often than not when we get them, regardless of the year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
  6. C’est la vie, said the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell.
  7. My older son was so happy to wear his Barkley jersey that he got for Christmas after the Giants went 6-10. Just a terrible division in a weird year.
  8. Of course, but now I realize that many people on here don’t. I feel old. .
  9. Great storm; an underrated one. 18” in six hours in Morris County. One of my favorites. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  10. Ah, my formative winters. Imagine being a kid and those are your elementary school winters. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  11. History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes. Nothing is ever a 1-for-1 duplicate. .
  12. For the uninformed (like myself), what does this all mean? Speak to me like I’m five. .
  13. We had that storm out here... IIRC, it was snow followed by a glaze of ice, and then it melted quickly, as it is wont to do around these parts. .
  14. One thing I’ve learned from my many, many years of watching winter weather is this... you can’t trust the long range details in the models, just the framework. e.g., it indicates we’re going to walk into a room soon and that room will be a kitchen, so you assume there will be a refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave, but we have no idea what brand and wattage they’ll be until we’re in the next room over and can peer in through the doorway. tl;dr, it sounds like we’re going to have a storm in about ten days, and we’re not sure yet what it will bring, but something is there and it’s going to change a lot in the coming days. .
  15. I’ve been looking for 1994 in all the wrong places. .
  16. They said there'll be snow at Christmas They said there'll be peace on Earth But instead it just kept on raining Merry Christmas! .
  17. Thank goodness. A nice, slow, reasonable melt the next few days can only help with whatever rain we get Thursday.
  18. Joking aside, when is the next anticipated time we can spot something to track? It looks like it'll be quiet for a while.
  19. Just my thought after getting a really nice night's sleep after not checking the boards since last night and waking up to a nice snow (Granted, not the outrageous amounts forecasted, but I think from reading here, we kinda knew that would occur in the back of our minds): This is the kind of storm we would have really enjoyed and hoped for as kids, but we’ve been spoiled so much in the the last 25 years and have been conditioned to frown upon and be disappointed with 8 to 12 of fast-accumulating snow with sleet and howling winds, ending with snow swirling in bitter cold. And a week before Christmas to boot! P.S. I'm guessing we got somewhere in the 8-12 range here in MMU; the winds are making it difficult to gauge. Many rooves are clean this morning.
×
×
  • Create New...