• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Statistics For O'Hare Airport

Chicago WX

We got to discussing in the Long Term thread the other day, things like single digit/below zero temps, days with snowfall, days with snow cover, etc. So with that in mind, I threw something together using the data from O'Hare Airport...which began record keeping in the winter of 1958-59. It's only 54 years/winters of data, but at least it's from a single site...with some movement of the instruments and snowfall measuring location inside the site. All stats for each winter are for December, January, and February...remember, snowfall is DJF only.

My focus was on maximum temperatures (DJF temp, days with above freezing temps, days with temps between 10 and 19º, days with temps single digits or lower), minimum temperatures (days with above freezing temps, days with min temps between 0 and 9º, days below zero), and snowfall (DJF total, days with a Trace or more, days with measurable snowfall 0.1"+, and days with snow cover 1.0"+).

The big standout finding is the decrease in below zero temperatures. Granted the 1960's and 1970's are known to be the coldest period for many sites and it should be no surprise they lead in that category, but even recent cold winters have had a lack of below zero days. Even the warmer 1990's winters averaged more below zero days than the 2000's, which was almost a full degree colder on average. Also, a decrease in single digit min temps is apparent as well...though not as steep of a decline, and the 2000's were an improvement over the 1990's. Overall, the 1990's had the warmest winters on average.

Snowfall wise, the 1970's and 2000's are tied at the top. Interesting, but keep in mind ORD didn't always share the excessive snowfall that MDW did during that decade. You could say that the 2000's were more efficient with snowfall though, averaging 3.4 less measurable snow days than the 1970's. And once again, the 1990's averaged the least amount of snow. What an awful decade. Shout out though to the 2007-08 winter for having the most days with a T and measurable snowfalls.

Anyways, here's the data. BTW, the decade averages are factored like this: 1960's=1959-60 to 1968-69 winters, 1970's=1969-70 to 1978-79 winters, and so on. Anyone that wants a link to the data in spreadsheet form, feel free to PM me.

Stats found here: http://midwestwinterwx.blogspot.com/2012/12/chicago-ohare-airport-winter-statistics.html

We got to discussing in the Long Term thread the other day, things like single digit/below zero temps, days with snowfall, days with snow cover, etc. So with that in mind, I threw something together using the data from O'Hare Airport...which began record keeping in the winter of 1958-59. It's only 54 years/winters of data, but at least it's from a single site...with some movement of the instruments and snowfall measuring location inside the site. All stats for each winter are for December, January, and February...remember, snowfall is DJF only.

My focus was on maximum temperatures (DJF temp, days with above freezing temps, days with temps between 10 and 19º, days with temps single digits or lower), minimum temperatures (days with above freezing temps, days with min temps between 0 and 9º, days below zero), and snowfall (DJF total, days with a Trace or more, days with measurable snowfall 0.1"+, and days with snow cover 1.0"+).

The big standout finding is the decrease in below zero temperatures. Granted the 1960's and 1970's are known to be the coldest period for many sites and it should be no surprise they lead in that category, but even recent cold winters have had a lack of below zero days. Even the warmer 1990's winters averaged more below zero days than the 2000's, which was almost a full degree colder on average. Also, a decrease in single digit min temps is apparent as well...though not as steep of a decline, and the 2000's were an improvement over the 1990's. Overall, the 1990's had the warmest winters on average.

Snowfall wise, the 1970's and 2000's are tied at the top. Interesting, but keep in mind ORD didn't always share the excessive snowfall that MDW did during that decade. You could say that the 2000's were more efficient with snowfall though, averaging 3.4 less measurable snow days than the 1970's. And once again, the 1990's averaged the least amount of snow. What an awful decade. Shout out though to the 2007-08 winter for having the most days with a T and measurable snowfalls.

Anyways, here's the data. BTW, the decade averages are factored like this: 1960's=1959-60 to 1968-69 winters, 1970's=1969-70 to 1978-79 winters, and so on. Anyone that wants a link to the data in spreadsheet form, feel free to PM me.

I would love to experience 1976 to 1979 DJF again.

This is great info...thanks Tim. I always learn something from your posts, and appreciate your dedication. For instance, I never knew that 1962-63 had the coldest DJF at ORD...even beating out the late 1970s winters.

Living here for many years, I agree with what the numbers show - a decrease in truly cold winter nights over the years. Hopefully it's a trend that will stabilize or reverse itself soon.

And I know a lot of us bicker in various threads...but if we could talk with folks face to face, we'd realize how much we have in common and that we all have a great hobby that allows us to combine the enjoyment of science and nature. It's hard to convey this on a message board.

Good stuff as always! 2002-03 always boggles my mind, and snowcover only adds to it

DTW:....DJF: 46.2"...43 days of 1"+ snwcvr (winter total 60.9"...63 days 1"+ snwcvr)

ORD:....DJF: 13.8"...13 days of 1"+ snwcvr (winter total 28.6"...26 days 1"+ snwcvr)

On the flipside DTW finished 1978-79 with just 35.6" of snow and 60 days of 1"+ snowcover...while ORD had their snowiest, whitest winter on record

You should share this data with Tom Skilling. I imagine he would truly be appreciative...and who knows, maybe even a shout out on the air or on-line.

You'd stake your well-deserved place in Chicago weather history! :D

I second this. I could help you with that. They can get all this data but to have it all in a table like that so easy to find, he'd probably tape it to his desk in the winter.

The contrasts are amazing. For example:

1962-63 DJF: 50 days with a low temp of 9F or colder

1976-77 DJF: 49 days...

1977-78 DJF: 46 days...

2011-12 DJF: 4 days...

The 3 winters you listed were some of the coldest our region has seen. Id be interested to see Chicagos 1930s-1950s data for sub 10F low temps...though station site wouldnt be ORD, I imagine the numbers are quite scarce many a winter. I found that in Detroit, the 1970s had by far the greatest number of 9F or colder days than any decade since records began in the 1870s.

Thanks all.

At some point, when I get the data presentable, I'll post the month by month stats for ORD too.

If someone wants to forward the chart to Skilling, be my guest. Though I'm sure he has something similar in his possession.

Also, I'm going to do something similar for IND in the near future. And if I get really brave, and have the time to do so, I may do other cities/sites as well.

Good stuff as always! 2002-03 always boggles my mind, and snowcover only adds to it

DTW:....DJF: 46.2"...43 days of 1"+ snwcvr (winter total 60.9"...63 days 1"+ snwcvr)

ORD:....DJF: 13.8"...13 days of 1"+ snwcvr (winter total 28.6"...26 days 1"+ snwcvr)

Indy had a big one in 2002-03 too. MKE and ORD really suffered that winter in comparison to DTW and IND.

IND in the winter of 2002-03

DJF snowfall: 46.9"

1"+ Snow cover days: 46

Archived