Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Utah Climate site

The site has been totally revamped FWIW, here's the new link:

http://climate.usurf...pGUI/mapGUI.php

Lots more little stations have been added.

Thanks for the new link.

I believe it would have been helpful if the old page redirected to the new one or at least contained a link to the new one. I look forward to getting familiar with the new one.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a chance to play around with the new site. While the charts and displays are much better, some of the data that was once available is not e.g., daily temperatures, daily precipitation, daily snowfall.

I found temperatures and precipitation but in celsius and millimeters...It isn't a change for the better......

I had a chance to play around with the new site. While the charts and displays are much better, some of the data that was once available is not e.g., daily temperatures, daily precipitation, daily snowfall.

Same here. I see some data sites missing that were previously there. Not good. Hopefully, they will add them back.

I found temperatures and precipitation but in celsius and millimeters...It isn't a change for the better......

There's an "options" button that allows (among other things) a change to English units from the metric default.

I've found the new site better for abundance of locations (Hey! My cocorahs data is included!) but considerably more cumbersome to use - more clicks to download and the column sequence is all different so I need to do a bunch of copy-pastes before appending the new records to my existing data. I did not find station elevation, either, which was easily obtained from the old version and which I think significant.

There's an "options" button that allows (among other things) a change to English units from the metric default.

I've found the new site better for abundance of locations (Hey! My cocorahs data is included!) but considerably more cumbersome to use - more clicks to download and the column sequence is all different so I need to do a bunch of copy-pastes before appending the new records to my existing data. I did not find station elevation, either, which was easily obtained from the old version and which I think significant.

where is the options button? I can't find it... :ee:

The new site actually has more data, but as tamarack said, its not very user-friendly. It takes longer to get the data.

The labels are not very good when you have selected a station...here's some stuff I noticed:

1. To get daily snowfall/precip/temperatures...you need to click on "monthly" when it asks you to select a report. It then asks you to pick a month and year, and you will be given all the daily data for that selected month/year. This I feel is a downgrade from the previous version when you could select a specific date range (even if only 1 day) and get all the daily data within that range.

2. Select "english" to get temps in F and snowfall/precip in inches. This should be an option right below your month/date you choose. For snowfall, some of the data appears to go out to the hundreths of an inch...which of course we know is not how snowfall is officially measured. I found that rounding it to the nearest tenth gives the correct value (i.e. a value of 8.12 should be 8.1). I haven't found one yet that when rounded, is incorrect, but there may be some.

3. If you want to look at older coop data from discontinued coops. I find it easier to find them on the map when you de-select the GHCN data and then select coop...also remember in the lower right hand corner of the map to select the box that says "add inactive stations".

4. If you want to see the station elevation, when you go to get data click on "period of record" and it should give the details of the station. The lat/lon and elevation of the site are on the right hand side of the report.

• 1 month later...

The new site actually has more data, but as tamarack said, its not very user-friendly. It takes longer to get the data.

The labels are not very good when you have selected a station...here's some stuff I noticed:

1. To get daily snowfall/precip/temperatures...you need to click on "monthly" when it asks you to select a report. It then asks you to pick a month and year, and you will be given all the daily data for that selected month/year. This I feel is a downgrade from the previous version when you could select a specific date range (even if only 1 day) and get all the daily data within that range.

2. Select "english" to get temps in F and snowfall/precip in inches. This should be an option right below your month/date you choose. For snowfall, some of the data appears to go out to the hundreths of an inch...which of course we know is not how snowfall is officially measured. I found that rounding it to the nearest tenth gives the correct value (i.e. a value of 8.12 should be 8.1). I haven't found one yet that when rounded, is incorrect, but there may be some.

3. If you want to look at older coop data from discontinued coops. I find it easier to find them on the map when you de-select the GHCN data and then select coop...also remember in the lower right hand corner of the map to select the box that says "add inactive stations".

4. If you want to see the station elevation, when you go to get data click on "period of record" and it should give the details of the station. The lat/lon and elevation of the site are on the right hand side of the report.

1. The period of record boxes are easy to revise, so as to obtain info for the period one desires. However, I must be doing something incorrectly, because the 1st time I ask for a report, the site kicks me back to having to customize all over again. Then it works the 2nd time. ???

2. I also found this snow-in-hundredths odd, and found that numbers I'd obtained from the older site had been revised that way, such that a 6.0" event was now 5.99 or 5.98.

3. and 4. Thanks - useful info that I'd not yet discovered.

1. The period of record boxes are easy to revise, so as to obtain info for the period one desires. However, I must be doing something incorrectly, because the 1st time I ask for a report, the site kicks me back to having to customize all over again. Then it works the 2nd time. ???

2. I also found this snow-in-hundredths odd, and found that numbers I'd obtained from the older site had been revised that way, such that a 6.0" event was now 5.99 or 5.98.

3. and 4. Thanks - useful info that I'd not yet discovered.

I finally got the hang of it and it's actually much easier to navigate...The problem I'm having is not getting all the time I asked for...I ask for a year and get three months...About ten years ago I copied all the data on paper and put it into binders...I've noticed some differences in precipitation and snowfall data and more missing data in some cases...12/26-27/1947 was different....

• 3 weeks later...

All it is is that I've seen the main page before so I knew that couldn't be what you were referencing as far as "new" material. I did find a lot of fascinating links on that other page that look useful for future research.

Have you seen the main page recently? Its been completely redesigned.

Archived