Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at the SREF last night. It said there was a fair chance of thunder/chance of 0.01" of rain up here near Cheyenne/Fort Collins. I figured, dew points are so low, how could it possibly rain before the front? Now, what do you know, there are some storms showing up on radar around Wheatland WY/ Larimer County/ Jackson County. Part of Larimer County will get 0.01" Maybe not us.

Hey guys, I will be in Colorado end of September into early October taking a tour of the state. The projected pattern is looking favorable, any thoughts from you guys?

Well, climatology suggests gorgeous, and a little kick from La Nina should only help. Foliage (though not holding even the faintest candle to the Northeast!) should be around peak in the mountains the last week in Sept and move downhill the first week or two of October. Expect snow at the mountain pass level from time to time!

WOOT! some nice purple on the map

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO

833 PM MDT WED SEP 14 2011

...FIRST SIGNIFICANT MOUNTAIN SNOW OF THE SEASON...

.AFTER A TOUCH OF SNOW ON THE HIGHER PEAKS LAST WEEK A MORE

SIGNIFICANT SNOW IS ON THE WAY FOR THE MOUNTAINS AS A STRONG

UPPER LEVEL WAVE MOVES NORTHWARD ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND NORTHERN

MOUNTAINS THIS EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. OBSERVATIONS INDICATE SNOW

ON BERTHOUD PASS AND OVER THE EISENHOWER TUNNEL...HOWEVER ROADWAYS

APPEAR MAINLY WET EARLY THIS EVENING.

COS ended up with 4.5" yesterday! That has to be one of their wettest days ever on record.

According to PUB, it's is in fact THE wettest day on record. Two day totals are running well over 5" officially. The yearly deficit has nearly been wiped out as the airport itself missed many thunderstorms this summer.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=pub&storyid=73066&source=0

I have a free condo available for use in early December but I'm not too hot on early season action. Anyone have info on what the snow prospects will be given climo? TIA.

EDIT: thinking i should probably wait till thanksgiving and pull the trigger on a flight if things are off to an early start?

Depends on where you go, but most years you can find some decent snow by December. There are usually a couple of resorts open by late October. But yeah, probably best to wait and see over the next 6 weeks or so to see how the early season develops.

I have a free condo available for use in early December but I'm not too hot on early season action. Anyone have info on what the snow prospects will be given climo? TIA.

EDIT: thinking i should probably wait till thanksgiving and pull the trigger on a flight if things are off to an early start?

Yup, Depends where, but thinking Loveland, A-Basin, Wolf Creek (if your condo is not in Summit County) might be good by then. Early Dec is a low volume travel time, so a 2 week notice might get you some good fares if things get an early start again. And if no snow, there's always hiking!

Which brings up the question: Last year was epic early, and a La Nina year. This year is looking similar though the Nina magnitude is not as great. Any chance we could come close to repeating? I know there is a lot more to it than La Nina, but...

Yup, Depends where, but thinking Loveland, A-Basin, Wolf Creek (if your condo is not in Summit County) might be good by then. Early Dec is a low volume travel time, so a 2 week notice might get you some good fares if things get an early start again. And if no snow, there's always hiking!

Which brings up the question: Last year was epic early, and a La Nina year. This year is looking similar though the Nina magnitude is not as great. Any chance we could come close to repeating? I know there is a lot more to it than La Nina, but...

yeah that's pretty much what i was thinking, thanks for the input and here's to an early start.

I am heading out there this winter too prolly in December or January.

Well, I've been to CO several times now, and I've asked both skiiers and meteorologists their perception, and there seems to be a general consensus that La Nina years are snowier in northern and western CO, while El Nino years are snowier in eastern and southern CO. I remember checking Boulder and Denver data for myself, and they certainly get more snow in Ninos. I guess it makes sense given the stronger subtropical jet coming from the southwest in Ninos and stronger polar jet from the north in Ninas.

So on that note, what area are you staying?

In either case, a good storm can happen anywhere, regardless of ENSO, and past performance does not guarantee future results!

Well, I've been to CO several times now, and I've asked both skiiers and meteorologists their perception, and there seems to be a general consensus that La Nina years are snowier in northern and western CO, while El Nino years are snowier in eastern and southern CO. I remember checking Boulder and Denver data for myself, and they certainly get more snow in Ninos. I guess it makes sense given the stronger subtropical jet coming from the southwest in Ninos and stronger polar jet from the north in Ninas.

In either case, a good storm can happen anywhere, regardless of ENSO, and past performance does not guarantee future results!

Yeah, Ninos tend to be snowier for the metro area, especially the last couple ones - look at Boulder's snowfall in 2009-10 and 2006-07. The difference between Ninos and Ninas seems to be most pronounced in the fall/early winter, when Ninos very often produce a big snowstorm, while Ninas tend to be pretty dry. But then Ninas tend to get snowier later in the winter/early spring.

Last year was a perfect example of what you were talking about - very snowy in the northern mountains/western CO, very dry in southern and eastern CO.

This is exactly what i was looking for. The place would be in Summit Co. so meh there. I think the wait until turkey day and see if they're off to a fast start will be how i'll play it.

Yeah, Ninos tend to be snowier for the metro area, especially the last couple ones - look at Boulder's snowfall in 2009-10 and 2006-07. The difference between Ninos and Ninas seems to be most pronounced in the fall/early winter, when Ninos very often produce a big snowstorm, while Ninas tend to be pretty dry. But then Ninas tend to get snowier later in the winter/early spring.

Last year was a perfect example of what you were talking about - very snowy in the northern mountains/western CO, very dry in southern and eastern CO.

Good point about the early season / late season ENSO difference! That's more pronounced than I realized.

This is exactly what i was looking for. The place would be in Summit Co. so meh there. I think the wait until turkey day and see if they're off to a fast start will be how i'll play it.

Well, Summit seems to be centrally located enough that if anywhere near it gets good snow, you can always get up early and drive a bit! You're right tho, best to wait and see how things are shaping up before committing to buying a flight.

Well, Summit seems to be centrally located enough that if anywhere near it gets good snow, you can always get up early and drive a bit! You're right tho, best to wait and see how things are shaping up before committing to buying a flight.

Um, only thing is that around there, if anywhere near it gets good snow, the passes tend to close. But A-Basin and Loveland (eastern part of Summit Co) are often the first in the state (sometimes the country) to open anyway, if you don't mind a little altitude sickness the first day or two. :P

BTW, several areas are having great sales on preseason tickets and passes now (including "4 packs" for $30-40 a day) so now through October is time to look online!

To you Colorado guys, I want to see the Maroon Bells when I am out there in a week. Can you drive up there by car or is it only via bus? How easy/accessible is it once you are in Aspen?

it's a reasonably short drive (and extemely pretty) from Aspen but you have to take a shuttle bus the last few miles to the trailhead. A must do if you are in the area... though leaves should be at peak so it will be CROWDED!

EDIT: Looking further, guess you have to take a bus from Aspen Highlands during peak times (like 9-5 or something) though after 10/2 the high season ends and it's easier by car. Last time I was there was a while ago.

To you Colorado guys, I want to see the Maroon Bells when I am out there in a week. Can you drive up there by car or is it only via bus? How easy/accessible is it once you are in Aspen?

I'm up in Summit County currently and it looks like next week will probably be near peak color. Probably 40% are turned now. Have a nice trip!

it's a reasonably short drive (and extemely pretty) from Aspen but you have to take a shuttle bus the last few miles to the trailhead. A must do if you are in the area... though leaves should be at peak so it will be CROWDED!

EDIT: Looking further, guess you have to take a bus from Aspen Highlands during peak times (like 9-5 or something) though after 10/2 the high season ends and it's easier by car. Last time I was there was a while ago.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see it!

I'm up in Summit County currently and it looks like next week will probably be near peak color. Probably 40% are turned now. Have a nice trip!

Thanks! I am really excited to get out there. Weather looks superb as well. I chose this time especially for the fall colors!

Archived