• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ottawa: will it see a winter storm warning this winter?

Given I've enjoyed having the -20C day thread and seeing Don's and other's comments I thought I'd start a new thread for my city. Ottawa is in the midst of a snow drought. We average around 235cm (90") of snow per year but have barely seen 70cm thus far. Montreal had a snowfall warning in December thanks to the surprise retrograding storm, but Ottawa has yet to see a snowfall warning, or a winter storm warning. For a snowfall warning to be issued, 6" or more snow must be forecast to fall in a 2 hour period. If Ottawa (known as the snowiest national capital in the world) gets through an entire winter without a single such warning, it would be incredible. Granted, February and March are normally much snowier than January.

Given I've enjoyed having the -20C day thread and seeing Don's and other's comments I thought I'd start a new thread for my city. Ottawa is in the midst of a snow drought. We average around 235cm (90") of snow per year but have barely seen 70cm thus far. Montreal had a snowfall warning in December thanks to the surprise retrograding storm, but Ottawa has yet to see a snowfall warning, or a winter storm warning. For a snowfall warning to be issued, 6" or more snow must be forecast to fall in a 2 hour period. If Ottawa (known as the snowiest national capital in the world) gets through an entire winter without a single such warning, it would be incredible. Granted, February and March are normally much snowier than January.

That's 12 hours or less OB.

In answer to Organizing Low's question about snow futility, here is 1952-53 at Ottawa:

November 1952: 2.8cm

December 1952: 33.5cm

January 1953: 35.6 cm

February 1953: 18.3cm

March 1953: 8.1cm

April 1953: 1.0cm

Total: 99.3cm

Now that's a bust! :axe:

Ottawa, in inches:

November 1952: 1.1"

December 1952: 13.2"

January 1953: 14.0"

February 1953: 7.2"

March 1953: 3.2"

April 1953: 0.4"

Total: 39.1"

1952-53 was notoriously snowless across the entire midwest/Lakes region.

at Detroit:

November 1952: T

December 1952: 4.3"

January 1953: 9.4"

February 1953: 0.7"

March 1953: 1.0"

April 1953: 1.2"

Total: 16.6"

Detroits biggest storm was only 3.2" (Jan 11th). Worse yet, the peak obs time snow depth the entire winter was only 2" (on several occasions), a futility record that luckily stands alone in DTW's climate books. What a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE winter that must have been for all.

Ottawa, in inches:

November 1952: 1.1"

December 1952: 13.2"

January 1953: 14.0"

February 1953: 7.2"

March 1953: 3.2"

April 1953: 0.4"

Total: 39.1"

1952-53 was notoriously snowless across the entire midwest/Lakes region.

at Detroit:

November 1952: T

December 1952: 4.3"

January 1953: 9.4"

February 1953: 0.7"

March 1953: 1.0"

April 1953: 1.2"

Total: 16.6"

Detroits biggest storm was only 3.2" (Jan 11th). Worse yet, the peak obs time snow depth the entire winter was only 2" (on several occasions), a futility record that luckily stands alone in DTW's climate books. What a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE winter that must have been for all.

awful

good thing there were no weather boards

i wonder what type of winter it was on the east coast?

awful

good thing there were no weather boards

i wonder what type of winter it was on the east coast?

I dont know, Im sure one of their climo guys can chime in...but for Detroit, every stat you look at is very high on the futility list (130+ years of records).

1952-53 @ Detroit

Total snowfall: 16.6", which stands as the 7th least snowy winter on record (but only 3.7" more than the all-time low)

Total 1"+ snowcover days: 16 days, which stands as the 5th barest winter on record

Peak obs time snow depth: 2", which stands as the lowest of any winter on record

Biggest snowstorm: 3.2", which only 8 winters saw a biggest snowstorm of less than 3.2" (4 of the 8 were 3.0", then a 2.8", 2.6", 2.4", and the alltime futility 2.1")

Temperatures: Mean temp 32.3F, 8th warmest winter on record, including only ONE day with a low of 9F or colder

Winter 1952-53 had below normal snowfall in the Mid-Atlantic region and much below normal snowfall in southern New England. Boston had less than 30" (76 cm) snowfall for the winter.

what about winter of 1947-1948? buffalo only had like 42 inches i think :unsure:

Winter 1952-53 had below normal snowfall in the Mid-Atlantic region and much below normal snowfall in southern New England. Boston had less than 30" (76 cm) snowfall for the winter.

I believe that was craptastic winter for the majority of the nation. For here it was the last time the seasonal snowfall fell short of 30" on the season with only 27" for the whole winter. Per modern records ( 1947-current ) there was only one that was worse which was 1948-49 with just 18.3" on the season and thus the snowfall record for least snowfall in a season. Both were big torch winters except 48-49 had the massive cold in the west.

I believe that was craptastic winter for the majority of the nation. For here it was the last time the seasonal snowfall fell short of 30" on the season with only 27" for the whole winter. Per modern records ( 1947-current ) there was only one that was worse which was 1948-49 with just 18.3" on the season and thus the snowfall record for least snowfall in a season. Both were big torch winters except 48-49 had the massive cold in the west.

how come?

what kind of winter was it, in terms of ENSO and indices? do we have the data?

sounds awful.

how come?

what kind of winter was it, in terms of ENSO and indices? do we have the data?

sounds awful.

ENSO was neutral. The winter before ( 51-52 ) had a weak nino. Near neutral/slightly negative PDO. Interestingly a -AO. Slightly negative NAO in both Dec and Feb but +0.33 for Jan. +0.93 PNA for Dec, +0.65 for Jan and +1.00 for Feb. A oddity for sure. :unsure:

Archived