• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL Jan 11-14 Threat Potential

am19psu

hr 120 one low off the se coast...the plains energy is over the kansas area moving east...need that plains energy to dive in harder, the hgts are still pretty flat along the east coast.

Looks like the GFS depiction of that southern stream energy slowing down for a phase isn't going to happen with the Euro. We'll see what the Plains energy does...

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very bad when the euro shows a total miss, the other models tend to trend toward the euro. The models went toward the euro with the last storm too. The euro also shows very little with the Friday storm, but other models show little too so that's not a big deal.

It would be unfortunate to miss out on both events, but there's nothing we can do about it. Only time will tell.

It's very bad when the euro shows a total miss, the other models tend to trend toward the euro. The models went toward the euro with the last storm too. The euro also shows very little with the Friday storm, but other models show little too so that's not a big deal.

It would be unfortunate to miss out on both events, but there's nothing we can do about it. Only time will tell.

Wrong. Just wrong.

They went towards the ECM and we got 20-30"...Hmmm!

ECM shows .25" QPF with the Friday Norlun...this is probably going to be a 2-4" event for most people with a small stripe of 6" accumulations. That's a fine event especially a couple weeks after a major blizzard. Still plenty of hope for the Miller A as well, ECM trended better at H5 with higher heights in the East and a stronger southern shortwave. That's all you can ask at 5 days out...the last Blizzard wasn't decided until less than 48 hours from the start. So why be so negative?

Relax it is close and has plenty of time to change over..If it is consistently showing a Miss up until Sunday or Monday than I might write it off but there was more positives than Negatives for sure tonight in regards to nest weeks storm..

You know what else has a progressive SE bias? The NOGAPS Ensemble, which is in strong agreement with the OP.

Not that it matters that much. We're still at 6 days out and there's a reason some on here call it the LOLGAPS.

Alot of the pro mets I have seen on this forum actually use it to flag the other guidance because of that bias! I would not call it the LOLGAPS because its been pretty much accurate with flagging models this season....

Edited to add that at day 6 its actually only a notch below the ECM

Alot of the pro mets I have seen on this forum actually use it to flag the other guidance because of that bias! I would not call it the LOLGAPS because its been pretty much accurate with flagging models this season....

Oh yeah I completely understand its use regarding that. I'm just saying it's one of those...how do I put it.... " troubled " models.

I'm sure the SE ridge would come back if we lost the -AO/-NAO as we're in a -1.6C Niña, and we know what that does with heights in the subtropical regions. However, we're currently benefiting from the wonderful combination of the La Niña cooling off Canada and the globe while the blocking brings the increased cold air, and eventually the PV, into our backyards. We could be setting up for a particularly cold and snowy period starting now and going through around 1/20 including the Norlun Friday, the Miller A threat next week, and then the arctic outbreak as the PV heads into the Plains. I really don't see the high-latitude blocking breaking down soon, fortunately...the 12z GFS ENS showed the return of a monster -NAO block, west-based....You can see that even at Day 12, we have an unreal block over Siberia which is bringing the world's coldest airmass into the Canadian Prairies:

I agree that there was a bit of STJ involved but most of it came from a closed low off the California coast which eventually fractured and broke down into distinct shortwaves. Also, the others storms this year that have involved the southern stream, like the mid-December overrunning event in VA, have largely been of this variety, not the STJ that we saw during the 09-10 strong Niño winter. We're unlikely to have much help from the STJ this cold season, but it doesn't seem as if we need it given the fairly active Pacific pattern and blocking downstream.

Yeah, I think Pac energy plus cold air is all we really need. People sometimes become a little too obsessed with STJ's.... give me a large block plus a stormy pacific jet like the one which was firehosing Cali with record rainfall a la the pineapple express.... combine those over here and it can be explosive, as we've already seen. You dont really need the STJ to have a big storm on the east coast. This is why la ninas can still give us massive amounts of snow when they have great blocking a la 09-10, 16-17, 66-67, 95-96, 05-06.....

This storm threat has had my attention for a while now, but this run really highlights the potential we have. The two-storm solution previously advertised is not going to happen; I think this could be the region as a whole's greatest shot at a significant event for the entire winter (not just isolated areas--RIC to BOS). I'm officially muy excited, especially since this has backing from other models as well.

lol we said this about the last storm too.... we just have to wait and see if the euro comes on board.... especially with all the twists and turns with the last 2 systems, you know there'll be a lot of ups and downs with this system.... as a matter of fact, I see that some people want to jump ship already. It seems like our chances are slowly getting better (as we all thought they would after looking at the 18z runs) but its still several days away.

Relax it is close and has plenty of time to change over..If it is consistently showing a Miss up until Sunday or Monday than I might write it off but there was more positives than Negatives for sure tonight in regards to nest weeks storm..

Yea, a lot of us thought the 00z runs would be much better than earlier runs (despite us being "warned") but it doesnt mean we're there yet. A lot of time to go with this-- but there's no reason not to have fun and imagine the possibilities. Having fun tracking the different possibilities is where most of the fun is :thumbsup:

Meh, we're in a solid spot between all of the models at 6 days out.

Complete breakdown of the -NAO by 144 on the Euro. Nice -EPO though...

Its good if the breakdown is temporary so we can reload some fresh arctic air and prepare for Don's arctic outbreak sometime around Jan 20

Yea, a lot of us thought the 00z runs would be much better than earlier runs (despite us being "warned") but it doesnt mean we're there yet. A lot of time to go with this-- but there's no reason not to have fun and imagine the possibilities. Having fun tracking the different possibilities is where most of the fun is :thumbsup:

I remember the week Leading up to the Dec 26 storm was such a roller coaster ride with ups and down and after the Euro caved it was like all the air went out of the balloon only to be revived 48hrs later I remember Christmas Eve and Christmas day all the Blizzard talk had me excited with anticipation.. The funnly thing is even though things didn't look with that storm 72 hrs before I still had a feeling it could still turn around and of course U know the rest..Not saying next weeks storm will be a blizzard but all the models showing something consistently this far out has the makings of something big.The next week should be interesting with regards to tracking and model watching..

Archived