• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Earthquake

KokomoWX

Felt it here at work. I thought it was a gust of wind or someone slammed a door because all my monitors started shaking. Now, work is a madhouse of calls with people freaking out haha.

I'm watching FOX59 right now and they're reading viewer responses. Let the earthquake "overreactions" begin. :lol:

Although to be fair, I guess this is pretty notable for Indiana.

I'm watching FOX59 right now and they're reading viewer responses. Let the earthquake "overreactions" begin. :lol:

WTHR preempted the Today show for breaking coverage. Other than a lot of questions, there was no police or fire impact.

Haha very true. It only takes something little to get everyone excited for a week. It is a pretty good-sized earthquake though. A lot of reports from Illinois, Ohio, and KY from people who felt it.

Haha very true. It only takes something little to get everyone excited for a week. It is a pretty good-sized earthquake though. A lot of reports from Illinois, Ohio, and KY from people who felt it.

True, true...no minimizing the Quake by me, just the reactions crack me up. Pretty good size/intensity for the Midwest as you said.

I woke around the time of the quake for some odd reason but didn't feel anything. I am in western Ohio and many folks said they felt something around here. It was big news around here on the radio this morning. lol... I will say the New Madrid does pose the slight risk of setting of 5.0+ one day.

I'd argue that the Wabash Valley seismic zone located in southern IL/IN is as big of a threat as the New Madrid, 1) because it has apparently become more active in recent years and 2) evidence suggests it has and is capable of spitting out something over 7.0, although that is rare.

Here's an interesting read:

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-fault-might-not-be-new-madrids-after-all-a211334

Wow to that map. I thought I was only sitting in the middle of a snow screwzone, but I find out it also includes earthquakes. I can live with that.

I've felt a couple quakes in my day...the small ones are good since you can feel them but they don't cause much if any damage. But whether it's a New Madrid or Wabash Valley quake, there will be a big one someday and it won't be good.

Here's another story about the threat from the Wabash Valley zone. This was published right after the 5.2 earthquake in 2008

http://www.science20...rt_of_something

Very interesting read. I didnt feel that earthquake but certaintly felt this one. To your response before, read in the media that there is actually a faultline located in Central Indiana- the Fortville Fault, though the USGS has no records whatsoever on any earthquake occuring in Central Indiana especially this size. It is too early to tell what faultline caused this earthquake but it may be interesting to know what did. I do agree that the Wabash Valley Fault is much more dangerous than the New Madrid. Have read many published articles about how the New Madrid Fault may actually be dormant and not pose threats for some hundreds of years. But, thats not to say that something could happen tomorrow.

Very interesting read. I didnt feel that earthquake but certaintly felt this one. To your response before, read in the media that there is actually a faultline located in Central Indiana- the Fortville Fault, though the USGS has no records whatsoever on any earthquake occuring in Central Indiana especially this size. It is too early to tell what faultline caused this earthquake but it may be interesting to know what did. I do agree that the Wabash Valley Fault is much more dangerous than the New Madrid. Have read many published articles about how the New Madrid Fault may actually be dormant and not pose threats for some hundreds of years. But, thats not to say that something could happen tomorrow.

Interesting. I had never heard of that fault. I'm not as much of a geology nerd as a weather one ;) but events like today revive my interest.

Just came across this story which may be the same one you read:

An earthquake about 5 miles below the ground hit north central Indiana shortly before sunrise today.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 3.8 magnitude earthquake centered 5 miles southeast of Greentown, Ind., at 7:55:21 a.m. today. The agency had initially reported the quake as a 4.2 magnitude. It occurred about 3 miles below the ground, the geological survey reported.

The epicenter is "highly irregular, extremely rare, unprecedented,” John Steinmetz, director of the Indiana Geological Survey at Indiana University, told the Star Press at Muncie.

more:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101230/LOCAL/101230007/1001/NEWS/3-8-magnitude-earthquake-hits-north-central-Indiana?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Interesting. I had never heard of that fault. I'm not as much of a geology nerd as a weather one ;) but events like today revive my interest.

Just came across this story which may be the same one you read:

An earthquake about 5 miles below the ground hit north central Indiana shortly before sunrise today.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 3.8 magnitude earthquake centered 5 miles southeast of Greentown, Ind., at 7:55:21 a.m. today. The agency had initially reported the quake as a 4.2 magnitude. It occurred about 3 miles below the ground, the geological survey reported.

The epicenter is "highly irregular, extremely rare, unprecedented,” John Steinmetz, director of the Indiana Geological Survey at Indiana University, told the Star Press at Muncie.

more:

http://www.indystar....ssey=nav%7Chead

Yup thats it! I read the actual story from the Muncie Star Press. I googled it and there definitely wasnt much about the fault but what I did find is that it runs through Marion, Hancock, Hamilton, and Madison counties from this PDF:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/water/files/Plate1_wfwhite.pdf

Had no idea it was even there. The epicenter seems a little far from the fault itself but an epicenter does not have to fall on a faultline itself. I guess this fault has no links to any active faults that they know of which would make more sense being that the depth was so shallow.

Archived