Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC Plowing (or lack of) Discussion

Jefflaw77

total snowdepth of 17 i believe? yea the 26 was bogus

Just because the snowdepth is low doesn't mean the actual measurement is off. Very low density/high ratio snow which is uncommon in noreasters can do this. In the lake effect belts it can snow many feet but dwindle to less than half that easily in a few days due to compaction and sublimation. When I was at Penn State, I experienced a few lake effect bands, and it was the driest snow I can remember. Right before Easter in 2007, we had a band which dropped 5-6" in downtown State College overnight all in maybe 2 hours, and it was GONE by the next afternoon. There was no evidence anywhere that there was ANY snow.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No snow emergency. No MTA action plan for storms put into affect. Completely out of touch mayor. 911 system abuse....etc etc....if this story is true (again...it probably is, but 1. Doesn't mean EVERY plow operator was part of it. And 2. Shouldn't negate other mistakes that were made)...the timing is still very suspect...its bloombergs M.O.

This. It doesn't excuse Bloomberg for saying things like "it's no big deal, go see a Broadway play" the next day and act as if he was aloof up until last night. I think this exposed Bloomberg in many ways I'm sure he doesn't appreciate, and hurts him very much politically by reinforcing the elitiist snob image of him. Many from outside the NYC area don't realize it took him years to really warm up to the public and make them drop that snobby image of him. Many still think of him that way because of his "health Nazi" TV ads and restrictions throughout the city, not to mention his stunts which granted him a third term.

This storm was also a lot different from others in which there was either much less snow, or less duration, or less wind. It was also during a holiday weekend, when many workers were out of town. But if the reports about the union staging a shutdown are true, it's an absolute disgrace because they put people's lives in direct danger due to them being pissy about being demoted/losing wages. A full investigation needs to be conducted and the ringleaders (if any) should be fired and prosecuted under any applicable laws.

Holy **** tonight is terrible. Streets are now ice death traps and I've been sliding every second. Sitting in traffic now on local roads with an ambulance's sirens blaring unable to move. Forget plows, they have failed to salt most streets

Haven't seen a salt spreader yet. Only place I've seen salt is the enterance to City Hall and City Hall Park. Looks like now we will transition from unpassable, unplowed roads to icy death trap roads. Awesome.

Dude these loops are so awesome thanks for providing links. Do they have others I can check out?

That loop makes it painfully obvious why my house in Long Beach got maybe 10" while Central Park got its 27"!! :axe:

Of course, in State College that night I basked in some wind driven snow showers that barely coated the ground.

That loop makes it painfully obvious why my house in Long Beach got maybe 10" while Central Park got its 27"!! :axe:

Of course, in State College that night I basked in some wind driven snow showers that barely coated the ground.

Yeah, that storm was kind of disappointing. It started off pretty well here, but I only finished with 13".

My street was finally plowed this evening. At this point it didn't really matter, most people cleared enough of the streets in front of the houses to make them passable and rain is in the forecast.

Also noticed the unsalted streets and there is a lot of ice out there. Hopefully people slow down and be careful.

I can imagine how tough it is to plow those side streets with all those cars on the side of the streets. Here in the UP no one is allowed to park on the streets after midnight. They are real strict with that. They will instantly tow any vehicle off the streets after midnight. But I bet that would be impossible in NYC due to most of those neighborhoods there are no places to move the cars off the streets due to the houses were built before cars. Most people here have built on small garages like I have on these old barns so they have a place to put the vehicle at night.

Sanitation workers targeted specific neighborhoods

Before anyone says "It's the NY Post so throw it away" I've yet to see someone show me otherwise and I live in a specific neighborhood that's still lacking in clear streets even after all this uproar. There's no way that 4 days after the storm most streets shouldn't be plowed unless there were specific orders

no wonder you are nominated for weenie of the year, temps were in the mid to low 20s (in the city)and the storm was early morning. obviously you have no clue what you are talking about

The ground was wet before the storm began, the antecedent air had been very warm, and the ground was wet underneath, thus helping the snow to melt. Of course where you live, it's 5-10 degrees colder every night. Please, stop, while you're ahead!

Comparing this storm's cleanup to Feb 2006, in 06 the Sanitation department plowed both primary and secondary roads through the night

with the exception of when that insane band came through around 6am. This time, they didn't even touch secondary roads for days.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/13/nyregion/13cleanup.html

Something is terribly amiss this time.

The first two trucks that came down my residential block in Staten Island on Monday night had their plows UP, not even touching the snow!

Just incredible. I wish I had my camera at the time.

I would guess your annual snowfall eclipses the 200" mark each year...

I think our average is like 220. There are years we get less then 200, but those are El Nino years. I live in town and they plow the residential streets with a big road grader. The grader usually comes around daily at 3 am in my neighborhood. They keep plowing until the streets get down to one lane and they take a big truck with a big blower on it and cut the banks back. They have a dump truck drive beside the machine collecting the snow. Then they take the snow and dump it in a big open area by the county fairgrounds.

I took a picture of them clearing snow out of a dead end Monday morning while main roads were snow covered. That's proof enough that they either cleared snow out of their own streets or chose to waste time to either rack up overtime or make certain neighborhoods suffer:

Sanitation workers targeted specific neighborhoods

Comparing this storm's cleanup to Feb 2006, in 06 the Sanitation department plowed both primary and secondary roads through the night

with the exception of when that insane band came through around 6am. This time, they didn't even touch secondary roads for days.

http://www.nytimes.c.../13cleanup.html

Something is terribly amiss this time.

The first two trucks that came down my residential block in Staten Island on Monday night had their plows UP, not even touching the snow!

Just incredible. I wish I had my camera at the time.

WTF is your problem? Bloomberg f* up but so did the sanitation dept and both should be held accountable. More and more proof is coming out that the DS purposely let the snow pile up causing deaths, damages and injuries.

Meanwhile Doherty gave himself an A+ He should be fired just based on that grading of himself alone lol. Even his workers called him out on it-- saying it was irresponsible and insensitive of him to give them an A+

WTF is your problem? Bloomberg f* up but so did the sanitation dept and both should be held accountable. More and more proof is coming out that the DS purposely let the snow pile up causing deaths, damages and injuries.

huh.gif

So what exactly is your beef with my comment if you agree that more than just sanitation f*cked up? You have lived here long enough to know how Bloomberg will spin this all. You think HE will be held accountable? LOL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you mock me for blaming the DS union for this?

huh.gif

So what exactly is your beef with my comment if you agree that more than just sanitation f*cked up? You have lived here long enough to know how Bloomberg will spin this all. You think HE will be held accountable? LOL.

There's enough proof out there to call BS on some of these lame excuses, such as plows up on trucks, replowing plowed roads multiple times and the contradictions of other DS workers. I'll wait for the investigations to be over

so out of 2500 or so workers....they are all lying because there is proof that some did stupid sh*t? Cant both stories be true? You honestly believe NYC handled this well, and the entire fault lands on a select group who (possibly)decided to f*ck with the city?

Exactly what lame excuses are BS?

BTW....guess it cant all be blamed on sanitation:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/01/05/2011-01-05_botched_blizzard_response_costs_emergency_medical_services_chief_john_peruggia_h.html

It's more that likely there is truth in both stories but there's a lot of evidence pointing to negligence and that many were involved in it. Did you see the story of the cemetery here in Brooklyn that was damaged due to negligence of the DS? Please tell me how that's excusable.

I never said that it was only the DS that's responsible but they played a large role in people not being able to get to work and people dying

so out of 2500 or so workers....they are all lying because there is proof that some did stupid sh*t? Cant both stories be true? You honestly believe NYC handled this well, and the entire fault lands on a select group who (possibly)decided to f*ck with the city?

Exactly what lame excuses are BS?

BTW....guess it cant all be blamed on sanitation:

http://www.nydailyne...peruggia_h.html

It's more that likely there is truth in both stories but there's a lot of evidence pointing to negligence and that many were involved in it. Did you see the story of the cemetery here in Brooklyn that was damaged due to negligence of the DS? Please tell me how that's excusable.

I never said that it was only the DS that's responsible but they played a large role in people not being able to get to work and people dying

Where the hell did I say it was excusable? Im guessing you didnt see the reports on Fox 5 this morning that reported private contractors also dumped snow at the cemetery, right?

You didnt answer my question. Which "excuses" were BS?

Nope didn't. Every report holds the DS responsible and it's under their control so if others dumped also it was under their supervision.

I didn't mean the excuses were BS but rather trying to excuse them based on what a few said is BS. There's proof contradicting them so even if they are right they may very well be in the minority.

Where the hell did I say it was excusable? Im guessing you didnt see the reports on Fox 5 this morning that reported private contractors also dumped snow at the cemetery, right?

You didnt answer my question. Which "excuses" were BS?

Archived