Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    19,040
    Total Members
    49,013
    Most Online
    loganboehmewx
    Newest Member
    loganboehmewx
    Joined

2026-2027 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread


 Share

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

My low was 41 degrees and my high was 74 today. Beautiful. 

We had our first 30s of the season at 39. Was 38 down on the river below me and 45 a few hundred yards up the hill. Wild how big a swing you can get with radiational cooling in the valleys this time of year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

We had our first 30s of the season at 39. Was 38 down on the river below me and 45 a few hundred yards up the hill. Wild how big a swing you can get with radiational cooling in the valleys this time of year.

Yeah no kidding.  These microclimates around here are fun to watch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah no kidding.  These microclimates around here are fun to watch.
I was at 53 at 7am at the house at 4360 while 1.5 miles away it was 41 at my office at the bottom of the mountain at 3200'. Never ceases to amaze me.

Sent from my SM-S948U using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 at the house this morning. TS Isaias is strengthening fairly quickly overnight ahead of schedule and the forecast track has shifted E to near Mobile Bay. NHC in their 5 AM discussion stated that the track could shift further E later today and Hurricane Watches are likely this afternoon along portions of the Northern Gulf Coast. Both Air Force and NOAA aircraft will begin low level sampling missions today. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Maggie Valley Steve said:

45 at the house this morning. TS Isaias is strengthening fairly quickly overnight ahead of schedule and the forecast track has shifted E to near Mobile Bay. NHC in their 5 AM discussion stated that the track could shift further E later today and Hurricane Watches are likely this afternoon along portions of the Northern Gulf Coast. Both Air Force and NOAA aircraft will begin low level sampling missions today. 

Yeah I think this thing comes East on the inland track as well. Should bring us some very beneficial rains.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Honestly I hope this thing moves east. We need the rainfall.  May cause minor flooding but it is what it is.

A bit different antecedent moisture conditions now than before the last tropical system that came this way to say the least.  Scary dry IMBY, definitely want the rain but not the wind.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not to concerned about a significant wind threat at this time as Isaias will likely have transitioned to Extra Tropical by the time it makes it to our latitude. Looks like less than an inch near the border and 1 to 3 inches along the Escarpment with a couple of isolated total of 4 to 6 inches in upslope areas. A weak cold front arrives Friday setting up CAD that actually could reduce rainfall amounts. The highest gusts I'm currently seeing are in to 30 to 35 range. I'll take a closer look in the morning for our local Region.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Well this thing has trended west so we may not get much rain at all around here 

I've been looking for a late season analog that jumped NNW/NW after landfall and I haven't been able to find one. I think we see a slight eastward adjustment today to account for the trough coming in. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I hope so. You'd think it would push it more eastward. 

I mean you can see the trough shearing it off on the left side this morning. It's not just going to bulldoze into that, and even if the "center" does technically move I don't think it will matter much after landfall- going to be a rapidly expanding moisture envelope. My biggest concern about rain is coastal convection cutting us off. I've noticed a weak low type thing on the hurricane models and now the globals a little bit trying to pop off the SC/GA coast. Could cut moisture flow off some.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

I mean you can see the trough shearing it off on the left side this morning. It's not just going to bulldoze into that, and even if the "center" does technically move I don't think it will matter much after landfall- going to be a rapidly expanding moisture envelope. My biggest concern about rain is coastal convection cutting us off. I've noticed a weak low type thing on the hurricane models and now the globals a little bit trying to pop off the SC/GA coast. Could cut moisture flow off some.

Yeah I've been reading that may be the biggest problem with moisture heading this way is that convection along the coast will rob us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...