• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moving to get more snow?

39 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

I have a place in Lake Naomi in Pocono Pines and compared to resort areas in the southern Greens of VT or Big Sky MT it’s definitely podunk.

No idea where Lake Naomi is, but my place is near historic Jim Thorpe, PA, and in the mountains overlooking the town, I have a swimming pool, two ponds, and it's gated. Montana is not where most people from here would want to be for a variety of reasons (though the land is amazing.)  Vermont is gorgeous.

On 1/8/2024 at 12:12 PM, rclab said:

Good afternoon SMLI. I just read that the last light keeper, in the nation, has retired. She was at the Boston Light. I pray you have many years left for your dream to come true. Chronologically mine will always remain as a dream until I can dream no more. May you reach your light by rail, someday. As always ….. 

IMG_7046.png

Thanks rclab for your kind thoughts. You should never give up on a dream. That being said,like you, when my wife died, so went my dreams.  Be well...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/24/2024 at 5:56 PM, LibertyBell said:

No idea where Lake Naomi is, but my place is near historic Jim Thorpe, PA, and in the mountains overlooking the town, I have a swimming pool, two ponds, and it's gated. Montana is not where most people from here would want to be for a variety of reasons (though the land is amazing.)  Vermont is gorgeous.

Why is it that everyone in New York always seems to look to New England as the snow paradise when we have the entire Adirondack region with higher peaks, cold as or colder winters and as much snow if not more so? Not a skier so curious why that seems to be the case. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Why is it that everyone in New York always seems to look to New England as the snow paradise when we have the entire Adirondack region with higher peaks, cold as or colder winters and as much snow if not more so? Not a skier so curious why that seems to be the case. 

The Adirondacks aren’t ideally situated for snow. The orientation doesn’t produce upslope like the greens. The western portion which does get enhanced lake effect is nearly unpopulated. And the largest ski resort whiteface has the reputation as ice face do to it being a nearly stand alone peak. That means it’s extremely wind prone and doesn’t produce upslope well. 
Personally I love it up there. 

• Like 1

I dunno, the Tug Hill and Thousand Island zones aren't as sparsely populated as they used to be but it's not an economically strong zone. There are some ok little towns and the west facing slopes above the valley floors get dumped on. There are some small successful zones and a fair bit of opportunity if your work doesn't depend on locals to earn money. The best skiing isn't at the biggest areas and has been mostly flying under the radar for 75 years. That upslope happens pretty regularly at Titus which is one of the most underrated powder areas on the east coast. I spend a bit of time up in the North Country in the warm months and the locals will happily tell you that it doesn't really snow much on the flats anymore but pop 100 feet up and it's like the old days. They love it because it makes moving around in the winter that much easier than it used to be but they do have more ice so it's not that big a win. The bulk of the 'Daks has always been a fickle snow zone, just look at the history of problems with the ski conditions in and around Lake Placid and Saranac but you rarely hear about McCauley or Snow Ridge having a total dud of a season and Oak, Royal and Woods Valley always seem to mostly satisfy their skier base. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 7:44 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The Adirondacks aren’t ideally situated for snow. The orientation doesn’t produce upslope like the greens. The western portion which does get enhanced lake effect is nearly unpopulated. And the largest ski resort whiteface has the reputation as ice face do to it being a nearly stand alone peak. That means it’s extremely wind prone and doesn’t produce upslope well. 
Personally I love it up there. 

Whiteface is hands down the best ski area in the region. if you could ski that, you could ski anything. On a good day it is spectacular. On a bad day it presents some of those most challenging skiing around at a marked trail resort

3 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Whiteface is hands down the best ski area in the region. if you could ski that, you could ski anything. On a good day it is spectacular. On a bad day it presents some of those most challenging skiing around at a marked trail resort

I have been about a dozen times over the years. It’s amazing on a fresh snow day, but holds up its rep when the wind is howling and it hasn’t snowed. Most vertical in the east by far and if you add the chutes the most challenging terrain. 

On 2/6/2024 at 4:10 PM, the_other_guy said:

That may be so, but it doesn’t get nearly the snow, especially the nickel and dime refreshers which are key to good skiing conditions, that the northern greens get.