• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, Pa Winter 2023-24 Thread.

meatwad

To add to the test of this progressive system: SREF plumes last three runs have averaged between 3.5" and 4.5" total.  Even taking off the top two outliers from last run the average remains almost four inches.  Be interesting to see which blend wins.  SREFs are typically overdone, only four members have less than two inches, but that's an interesting discrepancy compared to the NBM.

23 minutes ago, jwilson said:

I don't think those point-and-click forecasts are made by people plugging in data.  I think it's automatic from their backend software / system.

I want to test the NBM.  Right now, it says 9% chance of snow exceeding 4" and 43% chance of snow exceeding 2" (this is in the city).  Making a note now.

Yeah, you’re most likely right. It’s just this looks…strange.

69937596-50FF-4035-BA60-8F7531154E24.jpeg.3b283b4352fd6f5e57e44b28b9999e83.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Nws refuses to hoist an advisory. They give us a 4% chance to see more than 4 inches of snow. Hopefully they bust hard.

That's how they are.  Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 3" and no advisory.  Vice versa they'll keep an advisory for far too long after they've busted low.

13 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Nws refuses to hoist an advisory. They give us a 4% chance to see more than 4 inches of snow. Hopefully they bust hard.

They’ve busted hard with the last few rainstorms forecasting way more rain than we actually got so maybe a little gun shy.

Just now, Ahoff said:

That's how they are.  Wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 3" and no advisory.  Vice versa they'll keep an advisory for far too long after they've busted low.

The last snowstorm we had was that 9” event in March 2022 and they rolled with an advisory. Sure, it was a weekend in the middle of the night and most fell in a few hours so they probably didn’t have time to change it before it was too late.

25 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I haven't had time to dig deep into latest runs. How do thermals look? They might be concerned mixing reduces totals especially if Allegheny doesn't get the heavier rates. 

21 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I haven't had time to dig deep into latest runs. How do thermals look? They might be concerned mixing reduces totals especially if Allegheny doesn't get the heavier rates. 

I'm guessing that's the case honestly. HRRR looks warm although another met said it usually verifies a few degrees colder than depicted. Our area is ridiculously hard to forecast and idt people understand that. Our forecast could literally be 1-6 with this storm. 

7 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Oh for god’s sake…the 0z hrrr has the double whammy over us of a precip hole AND rain. 

I should have known better than to think we wouldn’t get screwed 

It's over no cold air.

15 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Yet the HRRR still puts down 3.7”.

Just wait and see, and if it doesn't produce then you shouldn’t be surprised.

3.7” at 10:1. All the mixing issues and shit cut the kuchera in half.

1 minute ago, dj3 said:

I think we’ll get several hours of moderate snow tomorrow. If it is too warm to stick who cares. Let’s just try to get some snow flying 

It shouldn’t be too warm to stick, it’s prime January climo with a storm passing well to our south and east.

Just now, TimB said:

That’s what’s upsetting. It’s the type of storm that would have NEVER produced a drop of rain 30 years ago.

The storm is a POS compared to what was modeled 5 days ago. It would be a POS shit now or in 1992. 

• Like 1