• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Google + AI = Superior Weather forecasting

23 hours ago, J.Mike said:

Google has produced a weather forecasting model using artificial intelligence with better accuracy, faster speed and lower costs, study finds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/11/14/weather-forecasting-artificial-intelligence-google/

I was reading about this yesterday.. I guess time will tell but I dont have my hopes up for it

• Thanks 1

meh voodoo

From what I read, it can yield what seems to be very accurate results, but it can't explain how it arrived at the results or show the work. Big red flag. Only benefit seems to be is it produces output much more quickly. 

That's what resources should be investing in...how to produce the data more quickly and efficiency. 

6 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

meh voodoo

From what I read, it can yield what seems to be very accurate results, but it can't explain how it arrived at the results or show the work. Big red flag. Only benefit seems to be is it produces output much more quickly. 

That's what resources should be investing in...how to produce the data more quickly and efficiency. 

In fairness, existing 10 day forecasts show so little skill that AI voodoo may well be superior, even if the methodology is murky.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:32 PM, J.Mike said:

Google has produced a weather forecasting model using artificial intelligence with better accuracy, faster speed and lower costs, study finds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/11/14/weather-forecasting-artificial-intelligence-google/

Graphcast (which uses the ECMWF initialization) has had some successes beyond 500 mb verification scores so far. It did miss for tomorrow in the medium range, as it initially had a moderate to significant precipitation event for the northern Mid-Atlantic region. Unlike with the previous claims of a “superior” Panasonic model (never open for verification), Graphcast seems to be the real deal so far. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...