• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Summer 2023

23 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

For nearby Wheeling - Ohio County Airport, there have only been 17 hours of 100+ heat indices dating since 2013. What's weird is this hasn't even been a stretch of unusually cool summers, but rather a stretch that has included some of the hottest summers in Wheeling weather history, including the hottest (2016), 5th hottest (2020), 8th hottest (2021), and 11th hottest (2018) on record.

image.png.27e7b1f0c0acdcb12bc8d2201939f7c0.png

11 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Lol, KPIT went from 82 to 77 from 12:05 to 12:15.  Huge miss for today.

Edit: down to 75 at 12:20.  Is it raining there?  It doesn't mention rain.

But 88 in Ambridge? :huh:  Really 80s everywhere, except to plunging temps at KPIT, lol.

There’s something weird with the observations. Jumped from 75 to 81 in 5 minutes earlier, then dropped in the same amount of time a little over an hour later. I trust the low 80s as accurate and the 75s seem to be an error.

CDC3D5BB-53B5-4B1F-993A-B34E3629E04B.thumb.jpeg.e35bf77dd86b7636af426388622d7887.jpeg

1 minute ago, TimB said:

There’s something weird with the observations. Jumped from 75 to 81 in 5 minutes earlier, then dropped in the same amount of time a little over an hour later. I trust the low 80s as accurate and the 75s seem to be an error.

CDC3D5BB-53B5-4B1F-993A-B34E3629E04B.thumb.jpeg.e35bf77dd86b7636af426388622d7887.jpeg

That's what I wonder too.  It hung onto 72 for the longest time this morning as well.  Something always seems to be up with their sensor, lol.

23 minutes ago, TimB said:

The 75 is definitely wrong. There is no PWS anywhere in the county that’s even below 80 at the moment. Most near the airport are in the low 80s. AGC is 83. Regardless, 90 wasn’t happening either way.

NWS ran with the 75 reading.  That is their 1pm update.  Odd they would consider that accurate, unless it really is that cool there.  I'd be shocked if it was correct.

29 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Sensor is 100% messed up look at 1:05 to 1:10, 75 to 84.  Has peaked at 85 for 1:51 then 1:55 went back to 75.  Wonder what's up?

Capture.PNG

Edit: Now it's up to 88.  If we somehow manage 90 today, that be insane, lol.  I expect 62 in the next update.

Yeah here we are, 88 at PIT and 84 at AGC. Hope we get a no doubter 90 tomorrow so the record isn’t tarnished either way whether PIT gets to 90 today or not.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Bad start for 90 again today.  Even light drizzle in town this morning.  Pittsburgh weather never fails to fail expectations.

NWS still says we’re on track to get into the 90s once the fog burns off. Helps already being at 77.

I will say it is remarkable that in the all-time hottest month ever, in hundreds or thousands of years, based on 44 years of data, don't even ask a damn question about that stat, Pittsburgh still will struggle and maybe fail to reach 90 on a surefire day to do so.  It is very impressive.

10 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

I will say it is remarkable that in the all-time hottest month ever, in hundreds or thousands of years, based on 44 years of data, don't even ask a damn question about that stat, Pittsburgh still will struggle and maybe fail to reach 90 on a surefire day to do so.  It is very impressive.

You don’t think we can warm to 90 in the clearing after these rogue clouds and showers move out but before that larger batch arrives from Ohio? Only need 7 or 8 more degrees.

18 minutes ago, TimB said:

You don’t think we can warm to 90 in the clearing after these rogue clouds and showers move out but before that larger batch arrives from Ohio? Only need 7 or 8 more degrees.

We can, but like I said a struggle for sure, it it's going to be an easy 90 here even when it looked almost certain.  It's not our forte that's for sure.  Yesterday if the clouds cleared earlier and same for today, probably wouldn't have been a question to getting to 90, but we can't buy clear skies on these type of days.

Whether we hit 90 today or not, it’s very likely that would be our only 90 for the month. We had none in July 2021 and only one in July 2022. The last (and only) time we had 1 or fewer 90 degree days for at least three Julys in a row was from 1958-1962.

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Whether we hit 90 today or not, it’s very likely that would be our only 90 for the month. We had none in July 2021 and only one in July 2022. The last (and only) time we had 1 or fewer 90 degree days for at least three Julys in a row was from 1958-1962.

That is interesting.  If we make it today that's 90 degree days in the last three Julys, when we should average 12 in that span.  Well below average.