Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/Oklahoma Discussion & Obs Thread 2021

It's Always Sunny

20 minutes ago, cheese007 said:

If I'm in far northwest Dallas county and didn't lose power last year, should I head up north to McKinney where my dad has a generator even though the icing is likely to be worse there?

I would.

You can't control the weather, but at least you can be sure you'll have electricity

5.6C at Love field at 17Z, 12 km NAM predicting 6.9C at 18Z.  And the area is cooling down, not warming up.  GFS forecast 18Z temp is 7.5C.

SPS reporting snow and 30F (may be auto observation), NAM sounding is sleet at 18Z, SPC Meso analysis off RAP says 850 mb freezing line is about there.  NAM_221_2022020212_F06_34.0000N_98.5000W.png.b94cdbf130acd1c26fb932ae9d2510f9.png

54 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

5.6C at Love field at 17Z, 12 km NAM predicting 6.9C at 18Z.  And the area is cooling down, not warming up.  GFS forecast 18Z temp is 7.5C.

SPS reporting snow and 30F (may be auto observation), NAM sounding is sleet at 18Z, SPC Meso analysis off RAP says 850 mb freezing line is about there.  NAM_221_2022020212_F06_34.0000N_98.5000W.png.b94cdbf130acd1c26fb932ae9d2510f9.png

Correct me if I was wrong - what you're trying to say here is it's colder than models forecasted? I think that means less time for FR to fall but more snow?

2 hours ago, vwgrrc said:

Correct me if I was wrong - what you're trying to say here is it's colder than models forecasted? I think that means less time for FR to fall but more snow?

Change to ice comes sooner.  I don't know about change to snow, although 12Z NAM was too warm comparing the sounding to the RAP generated current condition.  NAM had a warm nose, RAP model which is initialized more often had their 850 mb below freezing.  Or Wichita Falls looks like mostly snow.  

DFW, no idea.  But the change to frozen may come a few hours early just based on NAM and GFS being too warm 5-6 hours after initialization.  If SPS is a guide, the change to snow may come sooner as well.

SPS (Wichita Falls) obs to freezing rain, but that may be automated and they are sometimes wrong.

10 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Change to ice comes sooner.  I don't know about change to snow, although 12Z NAM was too warm comparing the sounding to the RAP generated current condition.  NAM had a warm nose, RAP model which is initialized more often had their 850 mb below freezing.  Or Wichita Falls looks like mostly snow.  

DFW, no idea.  But the change to frozen may come a few hours early just based on NAM and GFS being too warm 5-6 hours after initialization.  If SPS is a guide, the change to snow may come sooner as well.

SPS (Wichita Falls) obs to freezing rain, but that may be automated and they are sometimes wrong.

At 21z, KDFW observed 40F and NAM is forecasting 41F. I would call that pretty close at this point at least.

• Like 2

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0112.html

MD 112 graphic

Mesoscale Discussion 0112
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0625 PM CST Wed Feb 02 2022

Areas affected...much of central Oklahoma

Concerning...Winter mixed precipitation 

Valid 030025Z - 030430Z

SUMMARY...A mix of freezing rain, sleet, and moderate snow is
   expected to continue across central Oklahoma into the evening hours.
   A gradual change over to snow is expected to happen across central
   into eastern Oklahoma as low to mid-level temperatures continue to
   cool from west to east.

DISCUSSION...An embedded mid-level impulse is pivoting around the
   broader upper trough and is ejecting into the southern Plains,
   contributing to an uptick in more widespread moderate to heavy
   wintry precipitation. Instances of freezing rain and sleet have been
   reported across northern TX into eastern OK, with northern OK
   experiencing brief occasions of moderate snow. The 21Z and 00Z OUN
   observed soundings showed 0-1C temperatures just above 850 mb
   (1500-1700 meters above ground level), with KTLX/KFDR
   dual-polarimetric radar data depicting a band of higher ZDR/lower
   correlation-coefficient values from Cotton/Jefferson to Creek
   Counties in OK, indicating the location of the wintry precipitation
   transition zone. However, some of the last few radar scans show an
   eastward propagation of the transition zone.

While wintry mixed precipitation is expected to persist, a gradual
   transition to mostly snow is possible from western to eastern OK as
   the 850 mb temperatures continue to slowly cool. However, despite
   the near-saturated troposphere, temperatures above 850 mb hovering
   near the freezing mark may reduce efficiency in dendrite production,
   with snow rates expected to be moderate, perhaps reaching 1
   inch/hour rates on a brief basis. Wintry mixed precipitation should
   persist the longest across eastern OK.

Freeze line is basically from Junction to DFW to Paris. Here it is holding about 40 but heavier precip about to move in and temps look like it drops to mid 30s with that.Freeze line is basically from Junction to South of DFW (though Dallas itself is holding at 34) to Paris. Here it is holding about 40 with mid 30s just NW of here. 

SW Denton Ct. here. Even though the radar shows all pink for the whole county, I just stepped outside it's still all plain rain. Temp at -1C now. Interesting! I wonder maybe the FR part is not going to be as bad as the models depicted?

Edit: 0z NAM HRRR HRW all showing very concerning amount of icing for north half of DFW. I see ice on the tree in our neighborhood already. This gonna be a very long night folks...

• Like 2

Just switched from FR to sleet in S Denton County. That was about 4 hours of FR.I feel this started a little earlier than expected but didn't quite progress as bad as the models depicted. I saw a clear coat of ice on tree branches about 9PM and that stays basically unchanged as of now, which is fine for powerline. Hopefully I didn't call that too early!

Edit: looks like a portion of Addison lost power based on Oncor map. Not sure if @Powerball is still on:)

I am in Buda, TX about 36 degrees no ice but a lot of rain has fallen and is still falling here. We were originally supposed to get one half to three quarters of an inch of rain with this event but it has been pouring on and off for hours throughout Wednesday evening on into early Thursday morning. I have measured at least three inches of rain since about 1pm Wednesday. It may be closer to four inches by now. Still pouring. Observing thunder and lightning as well.

• Like 1