• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Your Weather Memories

Plenty of great ones, but a few associated with history (and infamy):

1/13/82 - shoveling the driveway and then coming in to watch the aftermath of the Air Florida crash into the Potomac

1/21/85 - absolutely freezing outside in DC on RR's second inauguration day

9/11/2001 - the crispness and deep blue skies in the DC area early that morning...

Waking up at 5 am for the first flurries of the Feb 83 blizzard.

Jan 22 87 was great--snow started at 8:30--just as the school bus showed up. We got to school, went to first period and then got sent home. LONG ride home--was home a little after 1 PM--driving in S+

Feb 22 87 was awesome as well--- My Dad sent me to be thinking the snow may not cover the roads. We had about an inch or two on the grass and some slush on the roads. This was at 11:30 PM-- He woke me up at 1:30 am and it was unreal heavy snow. We had 17 inches on the grass/porch and 14.5 on the pavement. Snow basically ended by 7 AM---so it was a wild 7.5 hours.

Jan 1996 was awesome--

Christmas 02--Chased that storm up to NE PA---had 17 inches.

Hurricane Ivan and Dennis in Pensacola. Ive always been a big fan of extreme weather and nothing really ever scared me until Ivan hit. We went the whole day thinking the worst was going to be west of us. I vividly remember watching the radar closely and seeing the eye wobble closer and closer to Pensacola. By 5pm that evening I had seen enough and shut the computer down even though I could have spent at least 5 more hours watching on radar. There was no need. I new it was going to be bad and it was. The power went out around 10pm and by 1am the roof was coming off the building we were in and water was pouring in. By 3am the worst was occuring and the whole building was moaning, creaking, and vibrating. Ceiling tiles were falling. The doors were sucked open. It was a very humbling expirence, one I will never forget. I was amazed to step outside the next morning and see "drifts" of leaves (and bits of misc. debris) 3ft deep outside the building! One souvenir I still keep was a mangled stop sign found on the roof of the building I was staying in. I was out of school for nearly 2 months. And less than a year later Dennis came....

Not too many memories stick out for me. Here in Toronto, and this may be endemic of the non-snowbelt parts of the Great Lakes, we get lots of different types of weather, but not too much of any one kind. Snowstorms, rainstorms, windstorms, svr wx, etc are all moderated. Not very conducive for vivid memories.

If I was forced to pick it would be the 46" of snow that fell between Jan 2-15, 1999. Very little melting during that period so the snowdepth was incredible, especially for a short 12 year old. If I climbed atop the snowpile at the side of my house, I could see into the second story at eye level.

Not too many memories stick out for me. Here in Toronto, and this may be endemic of the non-snowbelt parts of the Great Lakes, we get lots of different types of weather, but not too much of any one kind. Snowstorms, rainstorms, windstorms, svr wx, etc are all moderated. Not very conducive for vivid memories.

If I was forced to pick it would be the 46" of snow that fell between Jan 2-15, 1999. Very little melting during that period so the snowdepth was incredible, especially for a short 12 year old. If I climbed atop the snowpile at the side of my house, I could see into the second story at eye level.

Thats a good point. We get a lot of snowstorms, but not the epic ones.

Some of my weather memories, in chronological order:

Jan 15, 1992: My earliest memory of playing in deep snow. I was 8 years old, and there was ~14" on the ground.

Dec 31, 1998-Jan 15, 1999: I will echo your sentiments. Had about 26" in that timeframe but none of it melted. Lots of drifts after the blizzard. I remember I ventured into a field not too far from my house because I thought it would be fun to walk through ~2 feet of snowpack. After a while, however, I was so winded and out of breath I just wanted to rest, but had to trudge on to get back to pavement lol.

Jan 30-31, 2002: 9.5" of snow and nearly 2" of freezing rain. Entire city out of powder. I remember the surreal look of the night sky with trees draped in glass with ZERO light pollution.

June 21, 2002: Freak localized severe thunderstorm came out of nowhere. Pitch black at 2pm. Patio table fell into the pool. Huge trees down everywhere. Some neighborhoods looked like a warzone. The rest of SE MI got nothing but sunshine.

December 2000: 30" of snow and BITTER cold. Couldnt ask for more for the Christmas season.

February 22, 2003: First time I saw thundersnow. 11.5" total storm.

August 1, 2003: I was videoing a severe thunderstorm when lightning struck the Sycamore tree I was standing just feet away from. I was fine.

January 22, 2005: While sledding after an 11-inch blizzard, in -20F windchills, my brother lost the car keys somewhere in the snow and all our phones were in the car, so we had to walk to our nearest relatives (like a mile away) at 1 a.m.and wake her up for help lol.

March 5, 2008: 10" snowstorm not only produced 3 rounds of thunder/lightning, but ended up with the loudest thunderboom of the ENTIRE year 2008!

2007-08 + 2008-09: Back-to-back snowy winters. 78.2" + 64.8". In the year lasting from February 1, 2008 - January 31, 2009, I saw over 100" of snow.

Thats a good point. We get a lot of snowstorms, but not the epic ones.

2007-08 + 2008-09: Back-to-back snowy winters. 78.2" + 64.8". In the year lasting from February 1, 2008 - January 31, 2009, I saw over 100" of snow.

This example is pretty illustrative of our climate. 2007-08 + 2008-09 were two very snowy winters. 156.6" here combined, but only one storm produced more than a foot of snow by itself.

I have to go back to when I was 11 years old in 1960...December 1959 had a good snowstorm just before Christmas...Some snow was on the ground Christmas morning...the first half of January had a storm that started as snow during the evening and turned to rain during the early morning hours...I remember a record high 65 degrees one February day...I remember looking for snow all day because it was in the forecast...It finally started after dark but changed to freezing rain and sleet...Then came march 1960...There was snow in the long range forecast that Monday before the storm...Thur. March 3rd snow began around Sunrise...The forecast was for the snow to change to rain...It got colder as the day went on and the snow got heavier...there was a huge drift near my house that my friends and I made into a fort...The snow lasted for a few weeks and the month ended up as on of the coldest March's on record...The summer was extra wet and had only a few hot days...In July a tropical low tracked over us and deposited 3.5" of rain...A July daily record at the time...September 1960 will be remembered for Hurricane Donna...The first day of school that year...December 1960 had a warm spell the first week...record high's for the time...On December 10th 1960 snow was in the forecast for the next day...Snow started in the afternoon of the 11th as temperatures dropped...Snow was heavy over night with huge drifts...A little bigger than the March storm and colder...That Friday during a rain/snow event two planes collided over Staten Island and one crashed on Staten Island and the other in Brooklyn...It put a damper on the Christmas season...I got a sled for Christmas and it broke before the winter ended...By mid January we had a minor thaw that melted away the leftover ice and snow from the December storms...Sunday January 15th 1961 rain developed with temps in the 40's...The rain changed to sleet as temps dropped...By Monday morning 2" of sleet and snow fell...Thursday January 19th snow developed in the afternoon and continued into Friday morning...Very low temps with the storm and winds caused drifts again...10" fell and temperatures would stay below freezing for the next two weeks...Monday and Tuesday January 23rd and 24th had snow showers...Thursday the 26th had another storm but this one ended early and only 3" fell...As the cold continued the snow cover remained a solid 10"...Another storm was in the forecast for Thursday Feb. 2nd...The storm took its time getting here...Friday February 3rd had very light snow during the day...Around 6pm a wall of heavy snow hit...It snowed heavy with 8-10" accumulating before changing to sleet and rain...This continued till around 9am when the mess changed back to heavy snow...Another 10-12" fell on top of 18"...After it ended 25-30" was on the ground...Schools were closed three days making six for the winter...That was made up in early July...A week later we had a light snow event and my sled broke as I was using it on a snow bank...After that another storm missed us to the south and a major thaw set in for the second half of February...A few record highs helped melt all the snow by early March...1961 ended with a white Christmas with a storm that started as snow but changed to sleet and back to snow that ended at dusk Christmas Eve...the December 1961 storm was the little brother of the February 61 storm...The 2000's come close with snowstorms but no major hurricane like Donna...

Hurricane Floyd (September 16, 1999): This produced the most rain that I've ever experienced in my entire life: 13 inches. The flooding that resulted from that in this area was historic; I believe it was a 1000-year flood.

President's Day 2003: This was the one that really first caused me to develop a passion for snowstorms. 20 inches when all was said and done. Probably my favorite snowstorm of my lifetime since I barely remember Jan. 1996.

April 7, 2003: Best April snowstorm ever! Got 6.5'' from that one.

Hurricane Isabel (September 2003): I'll never forget seeing that Cat. 5 monster in the Atlantic and hearing that there was even a possibility that it could make a direct hit on NJ.

The epic cold of January 2004.

January 22-23, 2005: 13'', great snowstorm. I'll never forget hearing predictions that 2 feet was possible for central NJ.

February 11-12, 2006: 15'', another awesome snowstorm. That superband that came through that morning was insane, some of the heaviest rates I've ever seen in my entire life.

March 16, 2007: 5'' of pure sleet. I've never seen that much sleet before in my entire life and may never again.

April 15-16, 2007 nor'easter: Produced some of the most rain that I've ever seen in my entire life. Incredible flooding in this area (especially in Bound Brook and Manville) and even a changeover to sleet at the end.

January 13, 2008: Worst snowstorm bust of my entire life. 6-10'' was predicted and I didn't see a flake.

February 22, 2008: After such an atrocious winter up to that point (and a mediocre winter the year before as well) it felt sooo nice to finally get a decent snowstorm. Got 6.5 inches.

December 19, 2009: Great snowstorm, although slightly disappointing seeing how much many other places were getting. Got 9 inches. The best part is that it made everything snow-covered for Christmastime.

February 9-10, 2010: Best snowstorm of the 09-10 winter here by far. There were near whiteout conditions here that afternoon. Ended up with 13.5''.

March 13, 2010 nor'easter: Another incredible rain-producer and once again caused a lot of major flooding in this area. The winds were quite impressive as well.

The heat of the summer of 2010 was certainly memorable, especially the epic early July heat wave which produced four consecutive days of 100+ degree temps IMBY from July 4-7.

Before I get to the rest.... July 25th 2010 was without a question, the most intense, Terrifying thing I've ever seen wx wise. Hit so fast...The power started flickering 10min before the storm hit, power went out well before it hit too, which set the tone of the storm.....Went outside to watch it come in.....I could hear a deep roar off to the NE, which I actually thought was a plane, (it was really the wind hitting the trees by River rd about 400yrs away, making a jet-like sound)...... First gust actually hit from the NE, then immediately slammed in from the NNW 10 seconds later. No rain yet, but I saw trees I've known all my life crumbling. Went inside then w/ the door open, and it got even worse when the rain hit. For a Time, I couldn't see anything, and I could hear trees/branches cracking.... all the lawn furnature slid across the deck at once, and knowing that stuff is all Metal, I ended up cowering in my basement :arrowhead:

This storm put the worst damage down in "stripes", my street happened to be in the one that was probably the southernmost of them all. Everyone on my street had wind damage of some kind, whether it be a Window blown in, a tree or large branch down, or a missing shutter(s)

Had my Vantage pro2 streaming to my laptop (using the purchased software), which recorded a NNW gust of 92mph, with numerous gusts in the 70-85mph range. The wind blew at least 51mph the entire event, it wasn't just 1 or 2 gusts then done with, like most storms are.

Anyhow, here are the others I remember.......not many LOL :lol:

June 2002...Severe storm w/ golfball sized hail

PDII:... 23" snow w/ 4ft drifts

2007... sleet storm that was supposed to be an ice storm... the ground was 5" of solid ice for weeks.

June 4 2008: Epic Derechio that was recently beaten by 7/25/10. Vantatge Pro2 measured a SW wind of 78mph wind gust with winds other gusts in the 60-70mph range.

2007: A snow Squall that lasted maybe 15 minutes.....I've never seen anything like that before Rate-wise. Couldn't see 5-7ft in front of me.

New Years Day Windstorm 2008-2009: Powerful NW winds gusting up to 71mph, took down a dead tree IMBY.

Winter 2009-2010: Epic to the Max, all the way through

April 2010: Largest Hail I've seen....Golfball in general with a few that were Lacrosse Ball sized.

This is from my time growing up in central North Carolina:

3-22 to 3-23 1981 Late season snow storm came in later than expected, so we got out of school for longer than were should have.

4-18 1983 We had 2.2 inches of snow and got out of school early that day. It was and is the latest accumulating snow that has fallen at RDU.

2-16 to 2-17 1987 8 inches of sleet fell with temps topping out in the upper teens.

12-25-83 Spent Christmas at my Grandfathers house in Asheville, temp was -7 that morning.

1-21-85 -9 at RDU for a low with a high of 17.

May 1987 4 inches of hail fell a mile from my house

November 1988 F4 Raleigh tornado. I remember it being in the mid-upper 70's that night around 11.

2-17-89 14 inches of snow 2 days after being 82 degrees.

December 1989 Ice storm and extreme cold that brought down the WRAL 2000 foot tower.

Hurricane Fran September 1996. I was out working in the storm that night, we had no idea it was going to be as bad as it was.

Hurricane Floyd.

I also remember the 60+ inches of snow that fell at mt. Pisgah in May 1992. If there had been an official recording station there, it more than likely would have been the heaviest snowfall in recorded state history.

My weather war stories started on January 11,1951 when I had my first encounter with a tornado as I was walking to school in Mountain View CA. I got caught in the developing ground swirl of what became an EF2 tornado in Sunnyvale and nearly wound up in the trees. Thus began a string of war stories far to long to list here. Suffice it to say that my series of articles on my weather war stories just from SE Arizona over the past 21 years on my homepage is up to Part 6 with many more parts to come.

Steve

Archived