Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 15-16 Event

Ralph Wiggum

4 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Looking forward to seeing if we get a frozen crust tonight. One of my favorite memories as a kid was being able to walk on top of the snowpack at some point. Only happens very rarely, especially more so the older (and fatter!) I get. :)

Don't know if you're familiar with the old flexible flyer sleds (metal runners), but those conditions were the best for sledding with those sleds!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Don't know if you're familiar with the old flexible flyer sleds (metal runners), but those conditions were the best for sledding with those sleds!

Oh I bet. Yeah we actually have one that was my Dad's when he was a kid. It's no longer in service, but I seem to remember being dragged around on it in the late 70's or early 80's when I was very little.

Saucers are also fun on iced-over snow. Much less control, but that's kinda the point I think. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

We had a couple of those flexible flyers (I guess nowadays they are worth a pretty penny) but only got chance to effectively use them one or two winters for just a few storms when the snowpack was just right for sledding.  We were a few doors down from a 1-way cross street that dead-ended at the top of a hill so we could walk the sleds up and have at it down the hill.  But if the snow was too powdery (and the sled blades were scraping asphalt) or the compacted snow was rutted (which resulted in a bucking bronco ride), it didn't work. But there were those magical times when there was the perfect smooth glacier under about an inch or two of snow that offered the perfect trip down the hill.  That little street exited to ours, which was a main thoroughfare, but the plow trucks would shove big mounds near the corners leaving a narrow opening for a car to come out, so if we aimed towards the corners, we wouldn't end up out in the middle of the main street.  Of course rolling off the sled before it slammed into those mini walls of plowed snow was a prudent requirement. :lol:

• Like 2