• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Snow Climo Classroom

psuhoffman

I wanted to pop in here to say that I feel like I've learned a lot so far this winter. Maybe it's because we've had plenty of threats to track in the last 3-4 weeks and that I have a good internet connection due to working from home ( :lol: ), but I've found myself doing a lot less initial analysis based on the surface depictions and much more at the upper levels.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

I wanted to pop in here to say that I feel like I've learned a lot so far this winter. Maybe it's because we've had plenty of threats to track in the last 3-4 weeks and that I have a good internet connection due to working from home ( :lol: ), but I've found myself doing a lot less initial analysis based on the surface depictions and much more at the upper levels.

That's where it's at, until we have a discrete threat in range and mostly inside 3 days. Can't stress enough how little I look at surface maps outside of day 5. Probably only when looking at the ens mean and advertised member low positions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

Teacher’s pet 

• Haha 1

That's where it's at, until we have a discrete threat in range and mostly inside 3 days. Can't stress enough how little I look at surface maps outside of day 5. Probably only when looking at the ens mean and advertised member low positions.
Lol 500mb Maps translates into surface maps...500 mb will be as wrong as surface Maps 5 days out

Just now, Ji said:
1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Lol 500mb Maps translates into surface maps...500 mb will be as wrong as surface Maps 5 days out

But you have zero clue or context looking at only surface panels. The upper levels dictate what happens at the surface, and subtle changes upstairs can make big differences. You know all this, but you still cant help yourself lol. Instant gratification seeking doesn't work too well in tracking storms.

But you have zero clue or context looking at only surface panels. The upper levels dictate what happens at the surface, and subtle changes upstairs can make big differences. You know all this, but you still cant help yourself lol. Instant gratification seeking doesn't work too well in tracking storms.
I rotate through the 500mb first as the appetizer...then rotate through surface maps to see how off my analysis was lol. I look at more than the surface

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Question:

Why is it that Miller Bs (seem to) have much more explosive development than Miller As? Is it because, at their core, they are two distinctly different storm types?

Typically a miller a starts out as a SS wave in the gulf often in a split flow with the NS out of the way. If there is phasing it’s later after a mature STJ storm has already developed. Miller b storms are NS initiated and such more often are associated with a much more amplified wave and have the NS energy to tap and also often a greater baroclinicity due to the NS involvement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Typically a miller a starts out as a SS wave in the gulf often in a split flow with the NS out of the way. If there is phasing it’s later after a mature STJ storm has already developed. Miller b storms are NS initiated and such more often are associated with a much more amplified wave and have the NS energy to tap and also often a greater baroclinicity due to the NS involvement. 

Got it. I was thinking much in the same way, but your description helped clarify it - particularly the parts about more amplified waves and greater baroclinicity.