Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 11, 2019 Snowfall OBS only, entire NYC metro area Wednesday morning

wdrag

4 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm only half-joking when I say the NWS should authorize the taking of official measurements on car tops in marginal temp events like this morning. That's how the vast majority of people interact with what fell. When Joe the plumber clears 3" off his car, it doesn't matter what some nerds with pieces of white plywood say... he'll tell people he got 3".

Irishrob gonna be angry you called him a nerd. First time in his life hes been called that for sure....

I actually take a bunch of measurements. I have 3 boards (one that gets average sunlight, one that gets almost zero during the winter which is roughly 1/3 of my yard) and one that gets full sun from 8:30 am till about 2 pm. I also tend to check the yard and the tables to see how close they are. Over the course of a season it tends to average out pretty close, the obvious biggest difference is retention between the boards.

38 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm only half-joking when I say the NWS should authorize the taking of official measurements on car tops in marginal temp events like this morning. That's how the vast majority of people interact with what fell. When Joe the plumber clears 3" off his car, it doesn't matter what some nerds with pieces of white plywood say... he'll tell people he got 3".

I can only imagine what Joe the Plumber shows people is 3 inches...

34 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Irishrob gonna be angry you called him a nerd. First time in his life hes been called that for sure....

Are you kidding?  I call myself a nerd, ya putz

34 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I actually take a bunch of measurements. I have 3 boards (one that gets average sunlight, one that gets almost zero during the winter which is roughly 1/3 of my yard) and one that gets full sun from 8:30 am till about 2 pm. I also tend to check the yard and the tables to see how close they are. Over the course of a season it tends to average out pretty close, the obvious biggest difference is retention between the boards.

And people think I'm a nerd...

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, wdrag said:

Snowfall for this event interpolated-interpreted via NOHRSC.  It see's more than 0.2" in CP.  Something is wrong with NOHRSC analysis in and near NYC or with the obs. I'm moving forward. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 7.58.00 PM.png

Although the map is not clear, the  NOHRSC estimate is at least a factor of 10 too high.

Central Park had barely enough snow to coat the grass, the 0.2" number given initially looked spot on to me.

It is not confidence inspiring when 'final revisions' are obviously wrong.

• Like 1

Hi,

Just letting you know they reanalyzed and her his the result. MUCH better.  I also wrote NOHRSC when I criticized the post. They did not reply but here is their apparent final.  I'll also open with this on a new topic shortly.  Thanks for your review.

Walt

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 9.17.39 AM.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wdrag said:

Hi,

Just letting you know they reanalyzed and her his the result. MUCH better.  I also wrote NOHRSC when I criticized the post. They did not reply but here is their apparent final.  I'll also open with this on a new topic shortly.  Thanks for your review.

Walt

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 9.17.39 AM.png

Thank you, that is a real contribution to keeping the record straight.

• Like 1