• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard of '78

kg4jbj1

I wonder why they report light snow almost every hour despite the visibility going to around zero at times....and obviously it wasn't just because of a ground blizzard. They got like 2 feet of snow there right? Pretty hard to achieve with light snow. :lol:

The winds are impressive. Sustained at 46 is nice.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why they report light snow almost every hour despite the visibility going to around zero at times....and obviously it wasn't just because of a ground blizzard. They got like 2 feet of snow there right? Pretty hard to achieve with light snow. :lol:

Roger that (2' or more). I don't know why the S- but I see that all the time...same for a lot of other storms at a lot of airports. I was wondering in the NYC thread if anyone can find 6 consecutive hours of 0 vis (and 12 consec hours of 0 or .1) anywhere in the '96 blizzard.

Lived in West Bridgewater in 1978, right in the middle of one of the big red dots on the above map. We easily had 40" when done, but it was impossible to find "level" snow. We had drifts up to 30' running from the top of our roof to the backyard. It took the National Guard with huge earth movers to open our street.

A few thoughts about comparing the blizzard of 78 to other storms. First I don't think you can really compare the mid atlantic storms of last year or even the SNE blizzard of 2005 to 78. A few major differences are 1. duration of the storms 2. coastal flooding, while there may have been some in last years storm and the SNE 2005 blizzard I don't think it can hold a candle to what 78 brought to the table. In now way do I want to come across as down playing the storms of last year, the 2005 blizzard, 2003 Presidents Day event etc... If you get a blizzard that dumps 2 feet of snow or more then yes it is a big deal and chances are you will allways remember it, as you should it is really somthing special when it all comes together to produce a blockbuster. What made last year intresting was how those events went down so close to each other.

Certainly for the South Shore of Massachusetts the 1978 Blizzard was the benchmark storm. It produced well in excess of two feet of snow and the highest recorded tide. The dollar cost of damage and clean up was extremely high.

Blizz of 78 was not a big deal up this way, I ended up with just over a foot of snow here, What i do remember most about that winter was the cold outbreak we had around that storm, I saw temps in the -20's to low -30's on a few nights........

Yeah, NBD around Manchester area either. Hate to say it, but crushing single-storm blizzards and destructive hurricanes are both highly unlikely events for folks living away from coastal areas, such as the southern NH region. What we get to enjoy are those seasons where multiple 10-20" snowstorms pile on a nice 4 or 5 foot snowpack, with spectacular sunny days in between to get out and enjoy winter

My favorite is "Light Thunderstorms and Snow" :lol:

Ed where did you get those?, would love to see others, looks like ISP got into the dry slot for a while, what I remember is reflected in those obs from mile vis to zero in an hour at the start, before that just flurries. Thanks Ed.

I happened to be stumbling around in Wunderground and noticed they had added older obs. The temperature and visibility fluctuations Monday night were very interesting...I think indicative of the low looping back toward LI and then SE again. Notice how the wind veers from NE to N, then gradually back to NE again around the time of the lowest pressure. The crazy temperature swings beginining with a big drop between 8 an 9PM, then the rise above freezing before falling off again are probably indicative af a rather complex coastal front as the storm went through a cyclonic loop off LI.

There was a similar evening drop at NYC, except that they stayed on the colder side of the coastal front throughout. Its very interesting to compare the 11PM obs from NYC and ISP. These log entries are for NYC:

Feb1978Journal-1and2.jpg

Numerous gusts between 60 and 70 MPH at KGON on 2/6/78:

SPECI KGON 061207Z 05020G30KT 10SM OVC035 A3010 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 061305Z 05020G30KT 10SM OVC030 A3007 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 061408Z 06020G35KT 10SM SCT015 OVC030 A3004 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 061511Z 07025G40KT 11/4SM -SN FG OVC005 A2997 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 061617Z 06020G35KT 11/4SM -SN FG OVC008 A2991 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 061706Z 06020G45KT 1SM -SN FG OVC006 A2981 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 061712Z 06037G45KT 3/4SM SN FG OVC005 A2980 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 061800Z 04035G45KT 1/4SM SN FG OVC003 A2973 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 062006Z 06040G60KT 1/16SM SN -BLSN OVC/// A//// RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 062106Z 06030G55KT 1/16SM SN -BLSN OVC/// A2960 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 062206Z 06030G55KT 1/16SM SN -BLSN OVC/// A2956 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 062306Z 06025G45KT 1/8SM SN -BLSN OVC001 A2951 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 070006Z 06030G48KT 1/8SM +SN -BLSN OVC001 A2939 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 070106Z 05030G50KT 1/8SM +SN -BLSN OVC001 A2933 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 070306Z 07030G55KT 1/8SM SN -BLSN OVC/// A2932 RMK SLPNO

SPECI KGON 070410Z 07025G40KT 4SM -SN OVC002 A2933 RMK SLPNO

Link:

http://www.wundergro...eq_statename=NA

I was 12 and lived in one of the "sweet spots" of the heaviest snow total in 78. The things that really stand out in my memories was the relentless wind, some of the heaviest snow I've seen in my life....for lengthy periods of time, and the thunder. I would love to see something like that again, but an event like that is not likely something people are going to see multiple times in their lifetime.

You know when you wake up at 6Am and the wind is screaning out of the NE at 35 MPH, its going to be a long day. Late that PM I was in a constant severe TSNOW must have been directly under the CF. Winds were off the hook for hours on end,

FROM KBOS

5PM ENE43.7 mph 57.5 mph

6PM ENE46.0 mph - NE48.3 mph 73.7 mph

7PM ENE46.0 mph 69.0 mph

8PM ENE50.6 mph 73.7 mph

9PM ENE50.6 mph 65.6 mph

You know when you wake up at 6Am and the wind is screaning out of the NE at 35 MPH, its going to be a long day. Late that PM I was in a constant severe TSNOW must have been directly under the CF. Winds were off the hook for hours on end,

FROM KBOS

5PM ENE43.7 mph 57.5 mph

6PM ENE46.0 mph - NE48.3 mph 73.7 mph

7PM ENE46.0 mph 69.0 mph

8PM ENE50.6 mph 73.7 mph

9PM ENE50.6 mph 65.6 mph

Good stuff, Steve. That says a lot about that storm and I will never forget that wind.

BOS gusting to hurricane force is pretty impressive in that. I think they've only done it twice since then during a Nor' Easter....December 1992 and March 1993.

They may have done it in December 23-24, 1994 storm but I can't remember.

Pretty neat feature on the Nat Buoy site is the historical data. Have to check that date out for you. I know I gusted to 74 INLAND in Ashaway RI in 94 , so did PVD

Pretty neat feature on the Nat Buoy site is the historical data. Have to check that date out for you. I know I gusted to 74 INLAND in Ashaway RI in 94 , so did PVD

Yeah, I'm not sure if BOS was too far north in 1994...SE MA/Cape/RI had ridiculous winds but there was a quick drop off to the NW. ACK gusted to 84mph in that one and there were some unofficial gusts around 100mph on Cape Cod.

BOS gusting to hurricane force is pretty impressive in that. I think they've only done it twice since then during a Nor' Easter....December 1992 and March 1993.

They may have done it in December 23-24, 1994 storm but I can't remember.

They gusted just above hurricane force in a tstm during 1999 or 2000.

You know how I feel about that storm.

Despite not seeing a flake (well nobody did), it had some serious winds. No power at all, and actually some slight structural damage besides all the trees down.

Rope tied to the bumper of a truck feet skiing for days. Week long party, conception of my first born, birthday is today LOL Everyone was in party mode for a week straight, good times and best storm ever.

It was party time for my parents, the neighbors, and 4 or 5 people who worked with my father that became stranded at our house. I remember the neighbor's son, dragging a sled back from the packy, loaded with beer. I also remember that toilet paper became a very important thing to have stocked up heavily, at all times! It was also pretty cool to have 2 to 3 weeks off from school. (winter vacation involved)

Agreed, best storm ever.

It was party time for my parents, the neighbors, and 4 or 5 people who worked with my father that became stranded at our house. I remember the neighbor's son, dragging a sled back from the packy, loaded with beer. I also remember that toilet paper became a very important thing to have stocked up heavily, at all times! It was also pretty cool to have 2 to 3 weeks off from school. (winter vacation involved)

Agreed, best storm ever.

I worked for the Almacs grocery chain, we had a generator, and delivered supplies to the elderly by truck, first thing they asked for, got any TP? LOL

Archived