Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2017 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RedSky said:

While shouting out like a sasquatch real men swim in lightning and stare at eclipses with no damn glasses!

Hahaha...  I gave it up when the lightning got about 1.5 seconds away. Plus it was getting windy and the rain was blowing into the porch. Nice storm, kind of a 2 parter here, lots of close lightning, very heavy rain. Don't have a measurement yet.

29 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Finally tipped the bucket to get 0.01" rain.  Looking at a cool "real time" lightning strike map here - https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=sat;r=0;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;n=0;y=40.0415;x=-74.7787;z=8;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

Thanks - I've been looking at it, and it's lighting up around here again to match the radar.

14 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Getting a little extra out of the "tail end" of this....

ETA: checked the gauge and so far 1.30". Raining hard again with wind and lightning picking up too.

radar-1130pm_8-22-17.jpg

Watching the strikes see you are getting the tail of the squirrel that bit ya real nice.

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Finally hearing thunder. lol  Alot of action going on south of me.  And then there's that stuff out by Harrisburg still a few hours away... if it holds together.  Cold front is back over OH so has a bit to go.

HRRR likes up to 1-2.5" additional action could be a fun overnight.

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Up in the north country it's let up, just had the EAS alert on the phone for flash flooding. Up to 2.55" now. Might be growing another bubble on the tail end again. Just now heard thunder to the west, lol.

The strong front is the match that will make us go boom my goodness the models were terrible.

picked up .33" of rain. also had that one lightning strike and another across the river so actually did hear 2 rumbles of thunder.  compared to what the central and northern parts of the county got, it was really lame. this map actually seems pretty accurate rain wise with the "screw you" zone for Philly and the immediate northern burbs into south central jersey. we have had several storms this year that our northern counterparts missed on though so we were due for this.

Screenshot_20170823-080207.thumb.png.59a77eb389166f7fdbd8ee88eabdbd6e.png

10 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

picked up .33" of rain. also had that one lightning strike and another across the river so actually did hear 2 rumbles of thunder.  compared to what the central and northern parts of the county got, it was really lame. this map actually seems pretty accurate rain wise with the "screw you" zone for Philly and the immediate northern burbs into south central jersey. we have had several storms this year that our northern counterparts missed on though so we were due for this.

Screenshot_20170823-080207.thumb.png.59a77eb389166f7fdbd8ee88eabdbd6e.png

That about sums it up.  The heaviest rain went north or south of me.  I got 0.21".  I am not going to complain because too much rain antecedent to the upcoming peak of the hurricane season (and the remnants that we often get), would be an issue.  And since the temps will be much cooler the rest of the week and into next week after today, the need for watering will already be reduced.

Currently 74F and mostly cloudy with sun peeping in and out.

12 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Getting a little extra out of the "tail end" of this....

ETA: checked the gauge and so far 1.30". Raining hard again with wind and lightning picking up too.

radar-1130pm_8-22-17.jpg

i finally won out with a thunderstorm in aston. the first line hit me and woke me up, crazy loud thunder and lightning. after it rolled through i thought it was over. then that tail formed and gave me another storm. i felt like the house was under attack for a hour with those storms. one of the best night time storms of my life hands down. plus i got over 3" of rain

Archived