• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

14 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

The synoptic part of the storm is over and I measured 3 inches from it, not bad. I agree that KBGM is dragging it's heels on making a call on the impending lake snow event. I sometimes feel like they put more effort in forecasting northeast Pennsylvania and the southern tier than up here in the far northern hinterlands. 

I agree 100%!  Their more concerned about KBGM proper instead of the people who live in the Northern Lake effect belts.  Come on the event is about to start and not even a special weather statement and I'm NOT talking about their tweets!! Pathetic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tonight colder air moves in from the west setting off lake effect
snow showers. A band will drop into Oneida County this evening
then into Onondaga and Madison late tonight. The snow should be
heavy at times. On Friday 20 mph winds will create blowing snow. A
lake effect snow watch remains in effect for these 3 counties
tonight to Friday night. Total snow amounts up to a foot but any
12 hour period will be mostly in the advisory range of 3 to 6
inches. Will let the day shift upgrade when amounts are more
certain and the synoptic snow is over. An advisory may be needed
further south but the models keep the band mostly across the
northern 3 counties for this period. Flow is close to 290 degrees.

I knew it, lol, Advisories are a pretty good bet at this point, and I hope the band sits over Syracuse for 10hrs straight so they look like complete idiots.  But you see, this is where they will upgrade and come up with some horrible explanation to cover their asses.  What a shame. This isn't forecasting, its waiting to see what happens and then react to the changing conditions but you see that just wont work in these changing conditions!

Apologies about my ranting but its warranted!

For them to say a band will drop into Oneida County from the North and head South makes little sense to me unless their thinking the band forms over Watertown on a 240 wind flow or something like that.  This is just speculation on my part. This is gonna be an interesting event.

For you guys up North in Redfield it looks like you guys may snow a bit more, as per KBGM as the Coastal takes over and the back edge slows and perhaps retrogrades a bit as the upper level takes on a Negative tilt which it already has so you may be in for a bit more synoptic love before mesoscale components take over.

29 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

My bad, they didn't yet as I was looking at KBUF's AFD without even noticing!

Colors are too god damn close! At first glance it looks like we are all in warnings. Totally agree that should of upgraded by now or go with advisory. Not sure what's up with that.

I guess they heard my cries, lol.  I'm really confident for the Thruway corridor for a pounding late tonight through Saturday now that KBGM is on board as I really thought we were in for Advisories.  The parameters are just too damn good to ignore, lol.  Enjoy the ride folks and lets get a good obs page going!

ONONDAGA-MADISON-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SYRACUSE...HAMILTON...ONEIDA
326 PM EST THU DEC 29 2016

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM FRIDAY TO 7 AM
EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A LAKE
EFFECT SNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM FRIDAY TO 7 AM
EST SATURDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ONONDAGA AND MADISON COUNTIES.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES IN
  THE MOST PERSISTENT BANDS, FROM LATER TONIGHT THROUGH EARLY
  SATURDAY.

* TIMING...LAKE-EFFECT SNOW BANDS WILL DROP INTO THE REGION LATER
  TONIGHT OR EARLY FRIDAY, BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 4 AM. SNOW WILL
  THEN CONTINUE UNTIL LATER FRIDAY NIGHT OR EARLY SATURDAY. SNOWFALL
  RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOUR ARE POSSIBLE IN THE MOST
  PERSISTENT BANDS ON FRIDAY.

* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 20 MPH, WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 20S.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING MEANS THAT HEAVY LAKE-EFFECT SNOW IS
FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE IN
SOME AREAS. LAKE-EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS TYPICALLY ALIGN THEMSELVES IN
BANDS AND WILL LIKELY BE INTENSE ENOUGH TO DROP UP TO SEVERAL
INCHES OF SNOW PER HOUR FOR SEVERAL HOURS. VISIBILITIES VARY
GREATLY AND CAN DROP TO ZERO WITHIN MINUTES. TRAVEL IS STRONGLY
DISCOURAGED. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL, KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT, FOOD,
AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

Here is the updated snowmap, already doing some decreasing..

IMG_0298.PNG

Come on bro, ur complaining about 12-18"? They lowered amounts up on the TUG which I think should go lower because IMO, this is gonna be a 290-300 event, after a brief visit bay the band up North. They'll still cash in, as they always seem to but they won't see the blockbuster totals their used to. I could be wrong and probably am, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

IMG_0298.PNG

I think the earlier totals had today's synoptic snow included.  So factoring that in they have not gone down too much.  We have had close to 5" earlier.  Just a thought!

2 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

That's because it was valid from 4PM today through Saturday. It's basically the same map, minus the synoptic snowfall you got today. 

Now personally I don't know what to think of this event. Short term models are plain ugly in their QPF fields despite some pretty decent soundings. I think models may not have a good representation of lake surface temperatures (for reference, the NATICE data used for ice cover shows the western 1/4 of Lake Erie covered in ice), which completely screws with the ability to produce any lake induced precipitation. 

Regardless, I still dont like the strong winds aloft (>40kts) and the little bit of shear it has. Tonight will be sloppy, but by tomorrow morning things will be better, especially if we manage a lake connection. 

17 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

I will say this, snow growth is ideal for fast accumulating snows and the showers that are coming through now are packing a punch and its completely disorganized.  If and when we get an organized band going look out!

Agree completely!  We just got 2.5" in 45 minutes or less.  Now it's like light graupel though.

Archived