Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2016-17 Winter Discussion

lookingnorth

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 9:38 AM, JoMo said:

TWC says keep the summer shorts out for this winter.

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/winter-outlook-2016-2017-twc

dec-feb-2016-2017-outlook-23sep16.jpg

TWC is literally a joke.

First really good autumn cooldown situated to make its way through soon. Got some actual blocking showing up down the road as well. My analogs are still looking really strong at this point. 

Oct CanSIPS came out last night. Dec has normal temps (was above normal last month) Troughing across central and eastern Canada into the northern US.  Jan is above normal and Feb is above normal but 'wet'. Feb has a SE ridge and a huge Aleutian high. Pretty big changes in just in one month. The SST's have a neutral to somewhat 'Modoki' La Nina look.

3 minutes ago, Cerakoter1984 said:

September verified as closely as possible to my top 2 analogs. That I posted on the 1st or 2nd of the month.

Actual vs Analogs

Ignore the 2010 on there. It doesn't really change the map that much. It was too hard to find the '78 and '83 map I had already. 2010 was actually cooler in September but not by much. Same look.

Sep16TDeptUS.png

cd70.215.199.181.276.17.33.1.prcp.png

22 hours ago, raindancewx said:

This is what I have for the winter, if anyone cares -

https://t.co/3JLYo58kad

That's a very good forecast raindancewx. I really think you're spot on honestly. You used all the different common modes of long range forecasting and combined them into one forecast. That's the first time I have seen anyone else do that before. Thank you for sharing.

11 hours ago, JoMo said:

SST CA has updated. Has a warmish DJF, but a cold JFM.

cat2m_anom.2.gif

cat2m_anom.3.gif 

Nina/cold SST's a bit stronger from last month's update.

The SST CA Forecast looks pretty realistic at this point. Not really much to add to it at this time. It leaves the door open for good cold in December at some point, which is something that I think we've all objectively decided is actually possible this year for the 1st time in awhile.

Beginning to look a lot like mid fall out today. :-) Freeze line dipped into the OK panhandle for a few hours this morning with the big front. Also noted, some pretty distinctive pattern differences with this cooldown. Also noted are the distinctively different AO and NAO. Haven't seen these paired up in October for awhile. Needless to say, think the analogs are still on point and I like the way things look going forward.

Definitely windy and warm today. So many conflicting signals when it comes to winter. I probably won't renew my WxBell subscription in November since they raised the price. Also, I nearly drove myself crazy looking at it last year hoping for snow, lol

6 hours ago, JoMo said:

Definitely windy and warm today. So many conflicting signals when it comes to winter. I probably won't renew my WxBell subscription in November since they raised the price. Also, I nearly drove myself crazy looking at it last year hoping for snow, lol

I don't blame you. I bought a year worth with some money I won in a poker tournament so it was essentially free. We really need to start seeing some responses out of the EPO soon. You can have all the -AO/-NAO you can stand but if the EPO is sky high then it does not good at all for us.

I don't really buy the CFS ever. I think it's crap but it shows the pattern that I believe we should see based on the breakdown I heard of the Euro seasonal. Classic -AO/-NAO/-EPO with neutral to slightly positive PNA. I'm still hanging on to my analogs. Haven't really been convinced to change them yet. 83-84 and 59-60 are weighted pretty heavy at the top of the list.

JMA's 3 month forecast came out today.....

Generally looks like a large ridge in the east Pacific and west and a trough in the northern Plains, Great Lakes, and northeast.

Y201610.D1300_gl0.png

Temps look normal across much of the US though. It looks to have a decent La Nina on the SST's as well.

Y201610.D1300_gl2.png

Latest IRI plume shows weak La Nina conditions

ensoPlot_1016.gif

Although they now have 'neutral' condition chances overtaking La Nina conditions for DJF

figure3.gif

Weak La Nina's typically give us temps around normal with availability of cold air just to our north. 

CvO_xxSUsAUU1pc.jpg

Recent weak La Nina's were 2000-2001 and 2011-2012.

Dec 2000 was frigid and very snowy.  Jan 2001 was cool and rainy. Feb 2001 was rainy and normalish for our immediate area. 

Dec 2011 was mild and rainy. Jan 2012 was very warm with some rain. Feb 2012 was mild and rainy with a bit of snow.

Archived