Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 8

wxmx

2 hours ago, aggiegeog said:

I wonder if someone out between Denton and Gainesville gets under a band and gets close to half a foot or of a convective band tomorrow afternoon. Hebrews totals for North Texas look to be a dusting to an inch. Wish it could make it to E TX but not looking likely.

Would really love for some accumulations locally in DFW. The past couple winters have been pretty sad

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Roy said:

Model trends for today aren't great. NAM is backing off. Will have to see. In any case, some mood flurries at least are likely.

just in time for the news to hype it up lol... I had a huge chuckle watching the news at 10 when the news reporters on 5 said the word winter storm... I do want to see some decent snow however...

Back north my home turf got upgraded to a winter storm warning in KS, so fingers crossed. They have been in a major snow drought as well, but finally my dad will get to use his snowblower for the first time in years. I think our stuff is coming from the west. Hopefully it is a bit stronger than progged.

6 minutes ago, Roy said:

Back north my home turf got upgraded to a winter storm warning in KS, so fingers crossed. They have been in a major snow drought as well, but finally my dad will get to use his snowblower for the first time in years. I think our stuff is coming from the west. Hopefully it is a bit stronger than progged.

There is more precip in W TX than was modeled so that is a good sign.

35 minutes ago, Roy said:

I believe the energy is coming from the west, but not the precip.. but I'm not 100% certain myself to be bluntly honest. The radar shows the precip in West TX moving southeast instead of east.. it'll be watch and wait.. Still feels weird to think it's in the 50's or even near 60, and it be snowing this afternoon... 

6 minutes ago, aggiegeog said:

After today's snow all eyes turn to next week. The upper air pattern is a mess, but parsing through the mess I see a southern TX overrunning event early in the week and maybe a real snow event for northern portions of the state late in the week.

Mind saying where in the state??? cuz what I've been seeing is 60's up towards 70 for late next week at least in DFW

18 minutes ago, jhamps10 said:

Mind saying where in the state??? cuz what I've been seeing is 60's up towards 70 for late next week at least in DFW

DFW is right in the target area for this potential event. The warmth will have to at least wait until the 20th and likely later if it ever comes. This event looks to undercut the ridge which was supposed to bring warmth.

The E TX activity being more intense than expected may be stealing moisture from this band. I am hoping that NE TX being closer to the surface low results in the band restrengthening east of DFW this evening. 

Areas south of Tyler got over an inch of rain this afternoon with the storms just ahead of the front. Temps dropping though the 50s and about to reach the 40s here. 

1 hour ago, jhamps10 said:

He's mainly pointing to the 17-19 period where the warm up you see should come later after that. But honestly I don't think the models can handle that at all at this range. As we speak, 18z looks vastly different. It seems like every run is an outlier!

17 minutes ago, vwgrrc said:

He's mainly pointing to the 17-19 period where the warm up you see should come later after that. But honestly I don't think the models can handle that at all at this range. As we speak, 18z looks vastly different. It seems like every run is an outlier!

We are in ensemble range. The op runs will vary wildly run to run for the next 4 or so days as the Pacific mess gets sorted out.

And, NWS drops the winter weather advisory that probably was never needed anyway.... Love how everyone gets hyped for the threat of ANY snow, and then it's nothing... Ice is 1 thing but snow... lets get crazy when we actually see something more than a 2 mile wide band of snow that is moving less than 30 mph... I may not be a Native Texan but I think we can handle 3 flakes of snow... 

It's kind of amusing see TX as one of the big winners for precipitation this winter - we're not even remotely close to Nina climatology at this point (40/90 days in). I know here, I should have ~0.63" for Dec 1-Jan 11 using 1951-2010, probably more using 1981-2010, so I'd say -0.5mm/day is about right here. The wet NW idea has absolutely not verified this winter, outside Montana. 

3oBOSiQ.png

I just stepped outside here in Longview, and we're getting sprinkles with mixed in sleet pellets. A decent little shower is about 10 minutes away heading towards me so I might check back to see how interesting it gets. There might be a few frozen car windows to the surprise of some people in the morning. 

*Edit- Well I stepped outside again but it was still mostly just light rain. There was a bit more ice pellets on my vehicle but that's about it. 

7 hours ago, raindancewx said:

It's kind of amusing see TX as one of the big winners for precipitation this winter - we're not even remotely close to Nina climatology at this point (40/90 days in). I know here, I should have ~0.63" for Dec 1-Jan 11 using 1951-2010, probably more using 1981-2010, so I'd say -0.5mm/day is about right here. The wet NW idea has absolutely not verified this winter, outside Montana. 

3oBOSiQ.png

It sure has been an odd winter. It seems like the endless +PNA is finally breaking down so a more typical pattern should emerge at some point.