• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New airport ASOS consultants?

CapturedNature

I'm hoping that someone can give me some direction.  A colleague of mine is on the board at a Massachusetts airport that does not currently have an ASOS and they are interested in pursuing one.  Is there a company or agency that can walk them through the process of getting grants and the paperwork for this process?  They need some direction on where to begin.

Not sure, but I think I've heard of DOTs giving out those grants before. Maybe try contacting MassDOT? If you don't mind, what town is the ASOS in? I'm curious if it's in a location where we could really use one or not. ;)

The airport is in Southbridge so yes, it would fill a gap between IJD & ORH.  Apparently they have been seeing an increase in traffic and demand from plane owners for one.

Yeah...3B0 smells ripe for an AWOS. Try to at least go for a precip discriminating one. LCI and EEN blow.

Take snowman's advice and contact the FAA first.

The whole AWOS platform will likely be changing too, since Vaisala pulled out of the US market. I forget the other producer of AWOSs but their platform doesn't support some of the regular obs we're used to seeing.

There is also a maintenance aspect too. Generally speaking, the NWS or sometimes the FAA owns the ASOSs (though AFN is privately owned), and the FAA owns the AWOSs.

But personally speaking, I'll always take more data!

Archived