Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long have your tomatoes been in seed starting mode? I think the ample rain this winter will give them a good head start once transplanted. Hoping the atmosphere will have enough of a Nino hangover that the Nina won't impact us wx wise until fall. Feel free to respond in the garden thread if you choose...

It has been an awesome winter for gardening honestly.  The one significant arctic outbreak was just cold enough to kill off most of the mustard greens and put a few brown spots on the kale and collards but they're recovering nicely at this point.  Garlic is the healthiest I've ever seen it in February.  The soil hasn't been frozen rock hard for any duration so it's been easy to dig around and get beds ready for spring.  And yes, rain has kept everything nice and moist.

Regarding the tomato seedlings, I got em going a bit later this year but they popped up a week or so ago and look good under the grow light.  My family gave me a small greenhouse for Christmas that I assembled on the deck.  Right now we've got some spinach started in there but will be adding lots more stuff to it over the next few days and weeks.  It should be nice for allowing tomatoes to harden off under natural light without having to worry about frost.  Also, we'll be getting chickens hopefully within the next month as soon as I finish building the coop.  Getting very pumped about spring gardening!

Archived