• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

This entire system is a mess between legit water concerns (already an ice jam release causing flash flooding in Vermillion) and the wintry aspect. I expect a healthy glaze of ice from Lake, Geauga, Cuyahoga and northern Summit points west along with 0.5-1.5” of sleet and 1-3” of snow tonight. Towards Toledo more snow and a bit less sleet and ice. Farther south less wintry precip but still a brief mix to a little snow later tonight. With the falling temperatures, I expect this to be a complete mess on the roads. We discussed some possible winter storm warning upgrades last night, not sure if it’ll ultimately happen or not but I think it’d be warranted for impacts this evening. People should not be on the roads after 6 or 7pm this evening in northern OH if they can avoid it. 

11 minutes ago, OHweather said:

This entire system is a mess between legit water concerns (already an ice jam release causing flash flooding in Vermillion) and the wintry aspect. I expect a healthy glaze of ice from Lake, Geauga, Cuyahoga and northern Summit points west along with 0.5-1.5” of sleet and 1-3” of snow tonight. Towards Toledo more snow and a bit less sleet and ice. Farther south less wintry precip but still a brief mix to a little snow later tonight. With the falling temperatures, I expect this to be a complete mess on the roads. We discussed some possible winter storm warning upgrades last night, not sure if it’ll ultimately happen or not but I think it’d be warranted for impacts this evening. People should not be on the roads after 6 or 7pm this evening in northern OH if they can avoid it. 

It does look ugly. The cold front is coming through CLE currently -- just south of the lakeshore. Seems quicker than expected as I thought the timing was evening. CLE is down to 35 already. 

38 minutes ago, WHEATCENT said:

Damn upgraded to warning 

Probably due to the freezing rain. Been awhile since we’ve had an ice storm. Was just out and everything is coated. Managed to keep 2-3” of snow in the yard… a few spots of grass here and there though. Dry slot looks to be moving in now. Hopefully that cuts back on the icing.

The final nudge for a warning was confidence in a solid tenth to quarter inch of icing followed by sleet and some snow/blowing. Just too much going on not to. Roads took some time to turn after the warmth earlier today, but right now are covered in a dense snow with a slick layer underneath. The ice on its own didn’t cause many tree issues, but as gusts came up after 10pm we got scattered reports of downed trees and some power outages. Not a true ice storm but impactful. Should be improvement into the morning where they get the plows out as the snow is tapering now in the CLE area. 

6 hours ago, NEOH said:

Snow cover should be reduced to patches and piles today or tomorrow. Torching out there with full sun... really amazing how strong the sun feels this time of the season. 

Ya snowcover is dwindling fast.  Glad to get a few of the larger piles melted some more.  Looks like back to winter starting Thurs evening.  

Another slop system coming Thursday into Friday. This one seems like it will be the "weakest" of the last 3 but could still well net advisories for much of the CLE CWA. Was on the forecast today and kept NW Ohio and the lakeshore all snow, but had some mixing as far north as slightly north of a Marion-Mansfield-Akron-Warren-Meadville line. Could see that moving a bit as we get closer. The snow through Thursday night will be lower ratio and we may not get organized banding, it could just be prolonged light to moderate precip. Have 2-4" in the grids through 7 AM Friday north of the line I just laid out and 1-3" farther south along with up to 0.10" of freezing rain. If we get into the lingering wrap-around / deformation snows on Friday as 850mb temps crash, there could be enough lake enhancement to add a few more inches of fluffier snow off the lake on Friday, as it should be open by then. We'll see how it trends. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OHweather said:

The NAM is a bit too warm, but this is definitely a junk storm. 1-3” of snow mixed with a bit of sleet and ice up here, with less snow south of Akron. 

Yeah, far from an interesting storm. Will add a couple of inches to the annual total. Wonder if there will be some higher totals on the immediate lakeshore though. 

Freezing rain dominating this evening. The Marion-Mansfield-Medina-Summit-southern Geauga/northern Portage-Ashtabula/Trumbull area is getting a lot of precip as freezing rain. We will have tree issues in the morning when the wind picks up. Not thrilled that evening shift lowered the ice and went less than 0.10" almost everywhere but what can ya do I guess. This may be one of the worst ice storms in years in parts of that corridor and with little warning on true ice storm potential. Blegh

22 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Freezing rain dominating this evening. The Marion-Mansfield-Medina-Summit-southern Geauga/northern Portage-Ashtabula/Trumbull area is getting a lot of precip as freezing rain. We will have tree issues in the morning when the wind picks up. Not thrilled that evening shift lowered the ice and went less than 0.10" almost everywhere but what can ya do I guess. This may be one of the worst ice storms in years in parts of that corridor and with little warning on true ice storm potential. Blegh

Dark and rainy here in Stow. No school closings yet.

4 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

Dark and rainy here in Stow. No school closings yet.

We'll see about the schools. My side road was getting a little icy but they treated it. My driveway is a sheet. No snow or sleet accums here. Trees are bending but not breaking yet, estimate 0.15" of ice accretion here. But it's still 29 and pouring. 

• Like 1

Left before the sun came up this morning, but some minor tree damage in and around the neighborhood as I came home and could see it this afternoon. Mainly just branches and a larger limb here and there, but a pine tree was uprooted near the entrance to the neighborhood. There were enough 0.25"+ reports and power outages / tree damage reports that it will likely verify as a marginal ice storm for roughly Wyandot, Marion, Crawford, Richland, Knox, Ashland, Wayne and Summit Counties. It's close for Medina, Portage, Trumbull, and Crawford PA though the 0.25" of icing may not have been quite widespread enough in those counties. NAM wins the prize on this one for sure. Strange, but certainly not boring winter. 

Was pleasantly surprised to find about 2" of new snow here today when I got home, still snowing half decently. 

33 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Picked up 4” of lake effect last night. That was a surprise. Looks great with the ice on the trees.

Yep definitely very scenic out there this morning!  I came up with 5.25" measuring off my deck.  Includes whatever fell throughout the day yesterday as well. 

20220226_095113.jpg

• Like 1