• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Added about 4.8" here from the storm over the weekend here in Reminderville, and measured a 16-17" snow pack in various undrifted spots last night. The top 6" was still rather fluffy while the bottom 10" was very dense. No way we loose much of that with the brief warm up coming. There was noticeably more snow pack in Chagrin yesterday afternoon too.

Looks like a mix to rain scenario tomorrow. It's possible there's a little lake effect Wednesday night into Thursday if some open water can appear on the lake with a light WNW flow and decently cold 850mb temps. But other than that looks like my week here will be relatively boring weather-wise.

Added about 4.8" here from the storm over the weekend here in Reminderville, and measured a 16-17" snow pack in various undrifted spots last night. The top 6" was still rather fluffy while the bottom 10" was very dense. No way we loose much of that with the brief warm up coming. There was noticeably more snow pack in Chagrin yesterday afternoon too.

Looks like a mix to rain scenario tomorrow. It's possible there's a little lake effect Wednesday night into Thursday if some open water can appear on the lake with a light WNW flow and decently cold 850mb temps. But other than that looks like my week here will be relatively boring weather-wise.

Ya the rain and warmer temps are looking more tame than they once were.

Still could get fringed with a few inches from the southern system on Thurs. Though...I'd rather a big dog or nothing at this point.

Didn't realize that February was the 2nd coldest month ever recorded in CLE. Impressive.

A RECORD COLD AVERAGE MONTHLY TEMPERATURE OF 14.3 DEGREES WAS SET AT CLEVELAND HOPKINS AIRPORT FOR THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 15.2 DEGREES SET IN 1875. THIS ALSO WAS THE SECOND
COLDEST MONTH EVER RECORDED.
THE COLDEST MONTH IN HISTORY REMAINS 11.0 IN JANUARY 1977.

Snowing has started in Chagrin. We'll see how easily the cold is scoured out today.

What a stretch of winter. It's really hard to imagine we were able to string over 2 months without bare ground. You can almost always expect a torch every 2-3 weeks in these parts to melt the snow back to grass. We'll probably end up around 70-75 days of continual snow cover, which is very impressive.

I'm still hoping for a late season big dog storm, or at least 3" so that CLE can officially hit normal for the season. In fact, CLE still averages another 14" of snow from this point on in the winter season.

It's also hard to believe this winter ended up colder than last, even with the mild snowless December.

I love the cold and snow but this, my 11th winter in Cleveland, tested my limits! Outside activities were severely curtailed, the snowplowing cost us a small pot of gold, my gas and electric bills were sky high, I'm ready for spring.

What a stretch of winter. It's really hard to imagine we were able to string over 2 months without bare ground. You can almost always expect a torch every 2-3 weeks in these parts to melt the snow back to grass. We'll probably end up around 70-75 days of continual snow cover, which is very impressive.

I'm still hoping for a late season big dog storm, or at least 3" so that CLE can officially hit normal for the season. In fact, CLE still averages another 14" of snow from this point on in the winter season.

It's also hard to believe this winter ended up colder than last, even with the mild snowless December.

Dropped down to -7 last night IMBY. Hopefully that's the last below zero. Let the melt begin!

Ya I'm definitely done with this cold. Looking forward to next week, 40s and sun will feel so nice. Can't wait to get this last layer of ice off of the driveway too.

I do feel we have another storm or 2. Maybe some lake effect if we get a good cold blast later.

The snowpack is finally starting to erode. It has been a slow melt thankfully. Last night I measure anywhere from 4 - 8 inches in the protected/shady areas. Hopefully it will be gone by the weekend outside of the piles.

I am quite surprised with how long it has hung on. Just goes to show how dense and compacted it was. Ya, I'm sure with the rain over the weekend it will finally be gone. The temps this week have felt great! Spring fever is starting to kick in.

Snow is down to piles finally. This was the longest period of snowcover I can remember. The snow in the woods/shady areas was resilient... there are still large patches around. My yard has sunk in spots as much as 6" from the weight of the snow.

Interesting observation about the yard low spots. Wonder if this has to do with the soft ground vs frozen that the snow accumulated on? I'll have to see if I notice any spits.

Awesome aurora display last night. I've never seen them from Ohio before and they were pretty impressive to the naked eye over Lake Erie.

I'll have to tally my seasonal total, but I think I'm a little over 70" for the season. It was definitely a unique winter with almost no December snow. I wonder if that's it for the season? If that's the case, that'd be one of the earliest times the last inch of snow fell in a season.

Awesome aurora display last night. I've never seen them from Ohio before and they were pretty impressive to the naked eye over Lake Erie.

I'll have to tally my seasonal total, but I think I'm a little over 70" for the season. It was definitely a unique winter with almost no December snow. I wonder if that's it for the season? If that's the case, that'd be one of the earliest times the last inch of snow fell in a season.

Wish I would have seen the light show last night. Not sure what type of view I would have had in the hills though.

It was definitely an odd winter snowfall wise. I'm over 100" on the season (haven't done a final tally yet), which is about normal for this area. Haven't looked at the models but we've got a long way to go before our snow chances are gone.

Looks like a chance for some light accumulating snow at the end of this week and weekend. CLE still needs a few more inches to hit average for the season. It would be extremely rare and unusual if we end the season without any more snow. It's been impressive as it is, that we've been void of measureable snow the past 3 weeks as March typically averages over a foot in Cleveland.

The NAM/SREF try to dynamically cool you guys enough for snow with heavy precip tomorrow morning and drop some accums close to the lake. GFS and Euro are a little warmer but aren't far from a similar solution. Tough forecast. The only reason this is interesting is you guys could get some heavy precip rates during the morning tomorrow so a change to snow could result in a quick accumulation...or it could just as easily be 35 and rain.

I really thought we'd wind up with at least a dusting of snow. Still a good few weeks left for snow opportunities though. But the way it looks now, the measurable snow season has appeared to end on March 3rd.

The RAP is showing a pretty good layer of steep lapse rates and high RH through the DGZ and up to about 6-7k feet late this afternoon and this evening for a few hours as the trough evident just north of Detroit right now drops south across the lake. Lake induced CAPE gets to a little over 300 J/KG with equilibrium levels of 7-8k feet late this afternoon into this evening as well in this timeframe. There is a half decent band off of an icy Lake Huron with 850mb temps close to what should be over Lake Erie by this evening.

I think the synoptic support and enough juice for some lake enhancement should be enough to get a half decent burst of snow showers after about 3PM through early evening, with light lake effect continuing into the overnight. Winds aren't particularly well aligned until after the trough passage but a little Lake Huron connection with a NNW to due N wind wouldn't shock me this evening. We'll see how well things accumulate but with a potential burst of snow as the sun angle starts getting lower towards the PM commute with some snow showers continuing into the night I could see 1-3" as far west as Erie/Huron Counties...less along the immediate shoreline (maybe half an inch to an inch at most). If you can get a little bit of snow down ratios this evening should be pretty decent with instability through the DGZ and cold surface temps. We'll see what transpires.

post-525-0-42060000-1427470470_thumb.png

As a note 850mb temps look colder than expected by a few degrees.

Just a couple tenths here yesterday, but enough to coat the ground. If the snow had been during the evening and overnight hours, it probably would have accumulated better. Still looks like a possibility for a storm next weekend.

Otherwise this March, like almost every other early spring, has been awful. No meaningful snow to enjoy any outdoor activities and not warm enough to go out and enjoy it.

Friday night still looks like it has some potential, but the trend hasn't been too favorable for a major event. Nonetheless, could squeeze out a few inches across interior NE Ohio.

CLE's last inch of snow was on March 1. The last month has been weather torture, 4.5 degrees below normal and no snow to show for it. The problem with spring in these parts is that it's often a dreary 2 month period of overcast 30-50 degree weather. Mid March through mid to late April is the worst time of year, weather wise, in my opinion, especially with the nasty lake breezes.

10 members on the latest SREF plumes have over 3" of snow at CLE for tomorrow night. We will have the advantage of it occurring during the overnight period, so it might help with accumulations.