• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Backyard Weather Stations?

Whineminster

It's crazy to me that nobody makes a simple cheap thermometer that connects to wifi and uploads to wunderground.  Davis seems great if you want a hobbyist or professional setup, and it seems like the sensors and hardware are a fair deal, but the data cables and software were insanely overpriced last time I looked some years ago. 

I had tried to find a simple wireless thermometer that would send data to a linux system (via a receiver) with open source software, but never found something that support

wonder if there is anything on youtube??

It's crazy to me that nobody makes a simple cheap thermometer that connects to wifi and uploads to wunderground.  Davis seems great if you want a hobbyist or professional setup, and it seems like the sensors and hardware are a fair deal, but the data cables and software were insanely overpriced last time I looked some years ago. 

I had tried to find a simple wireless thermometer that would send data to a linux system (via a receiver) with open source software, but never found something that supported that.

This may be what you are looking for.  Suppose to be in stock by the end of January.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws0800ip.html

• 5 weeks later...

I hear Mt Washington observatory is having a sale. I believe you can get the Davis wireless Vantage Vue for about $250 if you use the code word "windy" at checkout (save 30%), and free shipping. That's probably the best deal I've seen for a decent weather station.

http://shop.mountwashington.org/pro-weather-stations/

The temp accuracy for the outdoor unit must be absolutely dreadful.

Why would you say that?

It's actually very accurate..

I have two of them outside and have compared them to my Davis vantage pro2 and it is always within .2 of it...

Plus it's cool to be able to see my backyard conditions wherever I am traveling!

What I never really cared for with cheap weather stations was their inability to report peak wind gusts. Usually it was a 10 second or even longer average wind speed. The Davis will show the peak gust as something like 1 second intervals. 

yeah that's my biggest pet peeve with it actually....honestly I don't give a fook what it is every 10 seconds, I want the max.

Yeah no thanks.

I think my next purchase will be the inevitable VP3. Our stations are about at that 10 year mark so it's probably time.

The netatmo Is a real nice additional unit to have, as via the iphone app you can always access your backyard conditions wherever you are...

Btw...I also have the VP2 as well as an old rain wise unit.

The netatmo Is a real nice additional unit to have, as via the iphone app you can always access your backyard conditions wherever you are...

Btw...I also have the VP2 as well as an old rain wise unit.

I spend enough on the Davis stuff and other equipment to supplement the Davis (snow depth, precip detection, cloud cover, etc). I'm a big believer in fan aspiration for temp sensors, hence my previous comment. I have no problem accessing my data on my phone...I actually don't use "apps" that often. I'm usually just on the regular internet. Maybe the station is fine for the money...I'm not really bashing it. I just don't have a need for it.

Archived