Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2014-15 Discussion

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the 00z GFS/PGFS showed a more 'relaxed' type of pattern with a few systems. It didn't look as warm as previous runs so it might be kind of seasonable. In the really long range, the PGFS decided to drop the Arctic on us again towards Thanksgiving. 

00z Euro continues the trend of the other models with even less precip showing up now. Looks like a flurry event (or maybe not even that) for most of us now. Might see an inch or so if you live in central KS. 

12z Euro came in drier for Sat and wetter for Sunday. Has the 4-state area in a stripe of snow. The northern 1/2 of OK, the 4 far NW counties in NW AR, all of SW MO and SE Kansas from Pittsburg, KS south are all in the 2" range...

Yeah, looks a little better. Looked at the latest NAM run a few minutes ago. It pretty much reflects the euro at this time. First wave light and mostly in KS, then second wave Sunday a little heavier and further south. I know it's just the NAM but it was worth looking at.

Just quick glancing at precip on the quick stamps from the 12z ECMWF, it looks like most of the precip Sunday falls below freezing, and there could still be some 2 inch+ amounts in east central Oklahoma into Northwest Arkansas. It wouldn't surprise me to see more than 2 inches for a 50 by 300 mile stripe along and north of I -40.

12z Euro came in drier for Sat and wetter for Sunday. Has the 4-state area in a stripe of snow. The northern 1/2 of OK, the 4 far NW counties in NW AR, all of SW MO and SE Kansas from Pittsburg, KS south are all in the 2" range... 

Thats a big change from 00z..  Lets make it a new trend.

Just quick glancing at precip on the quick stamps from the 12z ECMWF, it looks like most of the precip Sunday falls below freezing, and there could still be some 2 inch+ amounts in east central Oklahoma into Northwest Arkansas. It wouldn't surprise me to see more than 2 inches for a 50 by 300 mile stripe along and north of I -40.

How cold is the euro during this time?

12z Euro ensembles look Seasonably cool for Thanksgiving.  The period after next Thurs looks interesting, especially as we get into next weekend. We should have a trough building over us. The models don't really know what to do with the energy yet. 

Hey JoMo, I'll probably look stupid for this, but where are you finding the ensemble maps on WxBell? All I can find are the ensembles+deterministic graphs, which have narrowed the spread down and increased back to 2 inches over the stripe I mentioned earlier. Let's see them increase again at midnight hopefully.

Hey JoMo, I'll probably look stupid for this, but where are you finding the ensemble maps on WxBell? All I can find are the ensembles+deterministic graphs, which have narrowed the spread down and increased back to 2 inches over the stripe I mentioned earlier. Let's see them increase again at midnight hopefully.

The "ECMWF EPS (Ensemble 0.25)" link is the Euro ensemble mean and control. The Euro ensembles are typically out by 2:30 or 2:45. Keep in mind that the surface temp maps and control accumulated snowfall are located up at the top under "USA Precip + 2-m Temperature (Anomalies).

The "ECMWF EPS 50-Member Stamps" shows each individual ensemble member (pressure, precip, and snow).

For the surface temps/anomalies, as well as a comparison to the previous run. (which is good for seeing if it's warmer/colder or what's changed on the precip maps.... (also on the bottom of this page are the surface temps for the ensemble mean/control as well as the accumulated snowfall on the control)  You will want the ECMWF link listed up at the top after "USA Precip + 2-m Temperature (Anomalies) : "

I'm going to optimistically predict 3.1 inches/snow for Tulsa. I'm liking the trend toward a bit more energy for the Sunday event. Should be a couple of decent bands.

Remember to recite the Snow Weenie's prayer religiously over the next couple of days, friends. Anything over an inch ain't bad for the middle of November in these parts.

Archived