• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clouds - 2014

Tried something different, for me. Took All straight images this evening. Actually I did take a couple of HDR's but they all look horrible and I am not going to share. So just straight images this evening.

Looking southeast when I arrived at the pond. I like how the low clouds are turning yellow with the sunset while the high altitude clouds are still snow white.

The sunset itself.

Moved to the north side of the pond for the post sunset.

The orange flash for the evening.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple photos to add. 

First one showing a line of departing thunderstorms at sunset over southern Lake Michigan. Picture taken from far southeast WI.

Second picture is on the passing cumulus clouds some 20 miles north of Madison, WI. Both taken on 08/30/14

post-7389-0-79342700-1409629770_thumb.jp

post-7389-0-29879800-1409629802_thumb.jp

These kind of nights drive me to distraction. Sky conditions were perfect and the water eventually calmed down to perfect glass. The only limiting factor to the amount of good images was my ability to make a mess of things. Still ended up with too many to choose from.

Maximum dynamics pre sunset

Transition to post sunset

Yellow flash

Red flash on the clouds closest to me

Fading colors

Last image as I was leaving. an overview

After two days of no clouds, it was nice even to see just a smattering of condensed water vapor.

Looking southeast

Looking north

Too bad the dry air won again at sunset but there is some clouds off to the west. Maybe tomorrow.

Usually the traffic on the interstate makes a hash of the images at the pond. Here is one that I think the traffic actually enhanced the image.

Had a nice cloud to play with for the post sunset playtime.

What it started out as...

What it turned into...

This image I moved back to the top of the berm and tried to show everything. All the building  with the lights and the interstate. This really was almost completely dark so the colors and just a little weird and all the light are horribly over exposed but it still shows the area rather well.

• 2 weeks later...

Solar eclipse at 20mm.

I really could not see the eclipse. There was a small, small break in the clouds right at sunset and while it was wider than the Sun, it was only as tall as less than a third of it. Was like looking through window blinds. So I am glad I stayed wide angle and just took in the bigger picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived