Newest Member
    joxey
Clouds - 2014

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight's view

All taken with the 16-35mm.

A standard ( non-HDR ) first look-see. Look, Canadian geese.

All the rest are HDR. Look, even more Canadian geese

Finally the geese got out of the water!

About as red as it was going to get. I might have went overboard with the contrast but I like the effect for this image.

Kind of a complex evening at the pond.

What I started with. The clouds were moving right to left so I figured the sunset would be a dud as far a clouds go. With the 16-35mm.

What interest me more was the top of the cells to the south of me. Pretty in that they were way over there and not on top of me being loud and messy. With the 100mm.

The sunset got a bit more interesting than I expected. I spent a lot of time and card space trying to make regular images look HDR like by using a GND and feathering it (moving it). With the 100mm.

When suddenly I noticed the pond finally calming down and some interesting color and clouds to the left. I had to make a sprint to the other side of the pond which is rather difficult with a heavy camera bag and a camera on top of a 6 foot tripod. With the 100mm.

I do not know why I stared off in portrait mode but when I changed it to landscape the image I got more than made up for it. With the 100mm.

Lesson learned, even if you think the sunset may be a dud, be there in caser it is not. I am glad I made the effort this evening.

Today was an active cloud day. Good thing it was my normal day off.

Driving home from lunch I saw these cells ahead of the main line bearing down so I decided to take some pics instead of the household *stuff*.

Rain was getting close so I started back for the house. Stopped to take one last image with the wildflowers in the field.

After the first cell passed by I ran outside and took some pics of the back/top side of the cell.

After dinner I went back out to the pond. When I got there, had some hallway lights. I like how they stop just above the ground. The air is obviously pretty saturated to with just tens of feet from the surface.

Here is the dry slot that gave the hallway lights earlier. Also you can see I am about to get a little damp shortly.

Best color of the day happened after I had given up and was back at the car again. I was cleaning mud off of equipment and the boots when the sky above went red. Just cranked the camera up so I got as much of the sky as possible and hit it. Turned out to be a decent ending to a long day behind the view finder.

And I have to thank each and every one of you for stopping and taking a look at my clouds. !,000 views and counting. It is nice to see a little bit of activity in this tiny backroom. And I just might not be done yet. Not even close to winter yet. I may have a sunset or thirty yet up my sleeve.

Today was a cold pool kind of day.

The view to the east when I got to the pond this evening.

The view to the west.

As the sun sinks lower, you can see the clouds starting to break apart.

A cloud to the east with sunset lighting. I thought it looked cool and it filled the 100mm properly.

Last rays

Last rites

This evening's content.

What it looked like when I got to the pond.

This is the same cloud as the first image, just shot later in the sunset and from the other side of the pond. First time I have been over. It is where the geese climb out of the pond constantly. Goose droppings everywhere as I was afraid of. Still if the only cloud is south this is the direction to take it from.

Post sunset had rather sparse leavings. Tried to find Waldo, errrrrrr the cloud. Figures that the pond would lay down like glass and I would have virtually nothing to shoot.

Tonight's effort.

And all worth the time and electrons. Pardon the pun but a picture perfect night. Seventy-two degrees, no wind and the perfect amount of clouds.

What I started with

The Sun playing peek-a-boo

To boldly go where no cloud has gone before...

And a final *atmospheric* take. I really like the zippered/corduroy effect in the top center. The filaments in the upper right look cool to me also.

Another evening at the waterside

A fire breathing dragon

A little more color

I like the subtle rose color in this one. Seeing how I was after the subtle colors I used a straight image.

Post post sunset. Here the cirrus way up high is having the sunset ongoing while we are working on dark here on the surface.

Tonight's results

I finally took a whole night and shot exclusively through the 24-70mm.

I think it is a little more even and has smoother roll-off on warm colors compared to the 16-35mm. Was fun to have the heavy *Brick* on the tripod again.

This might have moved beyond obsession.

When I got to the pond this evening there was only one cloud. This steamy three. So I squared it.

After a wait, here comes some clouds just in time for sunset.

Local sunset at my location. The Sun makes contact with the berm.

Post sunset. A pair of flaming matches.

Good night my darling, wherever you are.

The meager offerings of this evening

System to the west getting closer

But the clouds would break apart as soon as they got close to overhead

Finally post sunset they started to show some signs of sticking around but by then it was too late

The smattering of clouds with a system departure.

The view to the east when I got to the pond

The view to the west was sparse but at least there were some clouds.

Fortunately there was a finger of back-building clouds to give me a little bit more to look at.

Sunset and you can see the clouds starting to break up already.

Post sunset and the dry air is winning.

A three word sentence for tonight's sunset, "It was glorious".

Not much to look at when I got there though.

It got this far and I was pleased. Thought this was not too shabby.

I was wrong. Things were about to get a lot better. Streamers were starting to creep in from the west.

This got to be so easy to take an image of. Anyone with any camera could have gotten this shot. This image and the previous are straight images, no HDR. Simply glorious.

This is past the best mechanics but I did finally zoom out to the full 16mm just to show how extensive the streamers got to be.

Enjoy! I did!

Tonight was a busy night.

Lots of clouds

Varying designs

You might have to back away from the screen to see the overall design changes. If you are too close they do kind of over-whelm the eyes.

This last one I am proud of just because I finally got an HDR image fairly close to right for once. The contrast in the sky might be lacking but what little ground there is,  is exposed just about perfect.

Took this shot this morning after a hike at Tuckahoe State Park. Not a great cloud shot, but there was a line of storms moving in from the west and thunder was rumbling... was kinda cool considering it was around 9 AM and it had the look and feel of early evening.

post-1005-0-20434000-1406409664_thumb.jp

Took this shot this morning after a hike at Tuckahoe State Park. Not a great cloud shot, but there was a line of storms moving in from the west and thunder was rumbling... was kinda cool considering it was around 9 AM and it had the look and feel of early evening.

Looks like a perfect place to take cloud pics. Bodies of water are such a great place to showcase the clouds. Generally speaking there are few trees in water, hardly any overhead utility lines and only the occasionally intrusive bridge.

These pictures are beautiful. 

and

are my favorite pictures.

Thanks. Mother Nature deserves all the credit. I am just the odd sod that takes the time to be outside at the time to capture those moments.

A double session out at the pond today.

First time was late afternoon for some cells that popped along a frontal boundry. Jake, Brett, Sam and the rest of the OK contingent will laugh at these weak sauce cells but I do not chase. I only get the cells that come to me.

Clouds shadow, check. Hallway light, check. Lens flare, check. The only thing missing was a funnel cloud but I guess that might have been asking a bit much.

Just before I was about to get wet as a piece of energy off of the cell to the left broke off and race northeast to the cell on the right.

Second session was the normal sunset.

Lots of clouds when I got back there.

As usual, post frontal the dry air was tearing up the clouds as the sun sank lower in the sky. Was able to get one semi-decent image before they totally disappeared.

Thus ends another busy day at the pond.

Today's content in-between the showers.

When I got to the pond.

The pond is trying to lay down flat.

Here comes the glass... smooth.

Last brief peak at a sliver of the Sun just before the showers arrived again within  a minute or two. Was neat to watch the rain advance towards me on the flat water. Gave me plenty of time to get the lens cap on and the camera under the jacket.

I believe these two images from this evening's sunset are images of forest fire smoke. When I got home I checked the vis satellite and the Texas system never got north of Evansville and the stuff off of Lake Michigan really never made it farther south of Fort Wayne. So there was nothing really happening here. Yet the sky was a uniform blah.

First image with the 100mm and a straight image.

Second image with the 16-35mm and an HDR. Yes the color are a little funky but I kind of just left them the way they were.

Not much happening this evening.

I had to laugh at this effort though. Two tiny clouds almost lost in the sun but I still managed to get cloud shadows on both of them. Hopefully the largest shadow is visible because I am sure the smaller shadow has been lost when I dumbed it down.

Best color happened post sunset. Way post sunset.

Not much to the sunset

Post sunset though there was a faint cloud shadow from the sunset in Iowa through the cells in western Illinois in the upper right corner of this image.. That and the cool blues felt good to look at after a warm sticky afternoon.

Archived