• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Clouds - 2014

Something different this evening. Clouds!  All the days of just the Sun at sunset were nice and all but I was starting to miss seeing some clouds. Today more than made up for it. At least it is something more than just a Sun lens flare.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A true hit-n-run session this evening.

First image to last image a total of seven minutes elapsed. I was able to get nineteen images in that time frame. That cell to the right was sliding in my direction and I did not feel like getting wet so I bailed. So please do not cringe if I missed the focus or the composition is messed up. I just kind of through the camera up, leveled it and fired off a couple of clicks and then split.

The effort of the evening.

I took a jaunt out to the pond after dinner, just to see if anything happened. When I got there some clouds were around, a little bit of blue and way in the distance you can see a smattering of red where the sun is setting.

But I decided to stick around in case anything *extra* happened. Glad I did. Had a red/orange flash that made it worth the time. This image is just a little past the max color. I over-cooked the reds too much and this effort when it has started to tone down a bit looks a lot better. Enjoy!

Another great night at the pond.

What I started with...

Sunset

Had another vivid red flash this evening. Was not whole sky as last night's but the part of the sky that went red was vivid. Making some corrective guesses on the exposure after last night baseline got me closer to what I was hoping for but I still think I might have nudged a little over the line again. But it is not near as bad as last night so it is a step in the right direction.

Here is an HDR of the red flash

And here is a straight image of the red flash

Had lots of company at the pond tonight. The fishermen were out in droves. But we all had a merry time.

Lots of faint but visible cloud shadows this evening.

Had a vivid but localized red flash this evening. About the only thing I can do to not blow out the reds and orange is to make the whole image rather dark but I think it is an acceptable compromise. Your response may be different.

At the pond again.

What I started with...

Best cloud shadows image...

The wind never really died down but the water close to shore did smooth out a little bit. Gave me a shot at a mediocre mirror image. I was hoping for a good red flash also. But this was the best that it got. The clouds must have been too low to get a red flash. The trucks on the interstate were bright red but the clouds never took off.

The sunset is getting earlier and earlier. Getting to be too late to eat dinner first after work and then go out to take sunset pics. This evening I got a little engrossed in my book at the diner and it made a bit late getting out to the pond.

This is what I started with...

This is what it turned out to be...

Tonight with a low pressure just south of me I never thought that the clouds would have broke enough to give me a chance at taking pics other than solid stratus. I was wrong. Had a nice break just in time for the sunset.

Maximum Dynamics:

The neat thing with the above image that only a cloud weenie would enjoy is that the high altitude white clouds were moving west-to-east ( front-to-back of camera ), while the blue and orange clouds were moving east-to-west ( back-to-front of camera ). Was neat to spin the replay dial after I finished and watch a jerky sort-of movie of the clouds moving in completely opposite directions.

Last dregs of the Sun

Way past sunset. I just like the design. One fishy swimming in the water. The other fishy swimming in the air. Hey, wait a minute!

Frustrating evening here. I missed way more than I got. I was at a diner eating dinner when I heard the rain starting to slack off but I noticed strong sunlight coming in the western windows. I ran to the east side windows and sure enough a vivid rainbow and my camera was sitting at home between 2 and 3 miles away. Missed that. As I was driving home there was the most vivid cloud shadow I had seen this year but once again I was in the car and not home yet to the camera. When I finally was able to make it home and run out in the bank parking lot, I forgot I had the 100mm lens on the camera from earlier in the day.

This was all that I got of the vivid cloud shadow.

Once I was able to run to the other side of the bank and away from all the overhead wires and also change lens to the 16-35mm, the cloud shadow was just a meager remnant of what it once was.

A cell to the north probably ran over the Lafayette contingent.

Another cell to the west.

Another pond adventure.

When I arrived, looking southeast

First image looking west

Immediately post sunset. Colors have not started yet. Everything is still yellow.

Orange to red

This is post, post sunset. Really dark out but I wanted to show the sunlight disappearing around the horizon. Hopefully this shows it. It is taken at 16mm but I cut off the top and bottom trying to make it look a bit more panoramic like. Did I succeed?

Tonight after dinner, it was still raining but I could see a sliver of lightness in the west so I ventured out just in case. I did not feeling like trying to put up with all the mud down at the pond so I just went as far a the municipal building parking lot instead. This first image it was still raining. I had the camera deep inside the hatchback trying to keep it and myself dry.

Finally it dried up enough to put two of the three tripod legs outside and only leave one leg inside the car. Had a decent yellow flare. This is a single image. I have the highlight slider turned completely off but I still have some blown out highlights. Design and system limitation of my poor digital body. Still I do not think it looks too shabby.

I like the narrow red/orange flash/bar in the middle of this image.

Tonight after dinner, it was still raining but I could see a sliver of lightness in the west so I ventured out just in case. I did not feeling like trying to put up with all the mud down at the pond so I just went as far a the municipal building parking lot instead. This first image it was still raining. I had the camera deep inside the hatchback trying to keep it and myself dry.

attachicon.gif7V2A7057.JPG

Finally it dried up enough to put two of the three tripod legs outside and only leave one leg inside the car. Had a decent yellow flare. This is a single image. I have the highlight slider turned completely off but I still have some blown out highlights. Design and system limitation of my poor digital body. Still I do not think it looks too shabby.

attachicon.gif7V2A7083.JPG

I like the narrow red/orange flash/bar in the middle of this image.

attachicon.gif7V2A7113.JPG

Spectacular cloud shots.

Thanks Don.

Tonight was a nice if some what hot and humid sunset. I will not get into just how bad the mosquitos were.

Immediately post sunset while all the high clouds were still white.

Color starting to get to the clouds now.

Red and orange making it to the clouds in the distance. Dual Flame Throwers.

Some after dinner popcorn

I like that little opening on the left that you can see the top of another part of that cell. At first I could not tell what it was I was looking at. Almost looked like an eyeball starting back at me.

The Midwest trying hard to look like the plains.

OK, back to the water and my HDR images.

Can not figure out what I like best. The cloud farting out the sunset colors or the tweety bird flying right side up and up side down.

11:30 a.m. and some cirrus and just above the trees you can glimpse the tops of some cells near Chicago that will be our weather in a number of hours.

4:00 p.m. Here comes the deluge

7:30 p.m. Back at the pond for the post storms clouds.

Trouble is it started raining which ruined any attempt at mirror shots.

But the rain did drive off the fishermen and allowed me to take a shot where they normally hang out.

Bad news, there was a stiff breeze this evening. Good news, the wind was out of the east. And the berm on the side of the bank I sit on blocked the water in front of me from the breeze.

This was getting late and kind of dark. I like the little sliver of moon on the left side. It only looks like a smudge of white at 16mm though. Still think it is amazing that it is as clear as it is.

The rain this evening just missed me to the west. By only twenty miles or less. Seeing how the motion was basically south to north, as it pulled off it opened up the sky just enough.

This almost looks like some Aztec sunset god rock carving.

Tried cranking up the ISO to 400 and taking some pics later into the evening.

What a difference one night makes. Looks just how big the moon is already.

All day nothing but clouds and sprinkles but starts getting close to sunset all the clouds disappear.

The only thing left.

Probably the last image of the moon for awhile. It is getting too far east  while there is any light left in the west. At least at 16mm.

Archived